Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (15)
speedingmofa is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
RWD SR20 advice/opinions wanted: VVL head + stock bottom end

Hi guys, I need y'alls opinions as I'm uncertain which route to go for.
I was first thinkin about building a bullet proof block with forged internals, ACLs and ARPs along with a sr16ve head aiming for 450whp with great response. But as its quite a costly build, not to mention the amount of transmissions i'm goin to go through, and it'll probably take me 2 to 3 yrs to come up with funds from time to time. I was wondering what I could do with a stock bottom end + sr16ve head, as the ve head plus practically everything needed for the swap (20V cas, relocation plates, VE oil pump) are already on its way...

So what do yall think? Is this a bad idea? Hows the stock bottom end gonna hold up? I remember a while back Mazworx also build one of their turbo vvls with a completely stock bottom end which netted 491whp. The car then returned to its owner to never be heard of again....

Last edited by speedingmofa; 05-17-2013 at 07:03 AM..
speedingmofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
For any power requirement around 500RWHP your best bet is an OEM 2j with a large single. total cost of swap is around $13,500 into any 240sx chassis.

I get them done, if you want.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe the op was asking about SR bottom ends, not what swap to do.
I think they can hold about 400hp but thats pushing it. Everything really depends on the tune. I all honestly the VVL is an awesome swap but if it was me, i would build the block too. Even if it takes the extra time.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
"everything depends on the tune" huh? So cast aluminum pistons live forever if the tune is good? How many 400 horsepower stock bottom end sr20's have you run?

Let me guess: ZERO.

Dont push an OEM sr20det bottom end past 300-350 if you want it to live for 50,000 miles. That is my conservative @$$, yes, but thats just me. I am conservative. and that is a matter of opinion. guess I need to add that $#!T to every one of my posts now huh.

The op is interested in HORSEPOWER. Not SR20's no KA's not LSx's not nuthin. WE are HORSEPOWER junkies, not SR20 Junkies. I dont care what the power plant is, if you hand me 500 horsepower thats 500 horsepower to the wheels its going to be fun to drive.

Why dig into an engine when you dont have to? why risk building anything, custom parts, machine work, nothing ever gets done right. The less you do, the simpler the setup, the less problems you will have, the less risks you will take. OEM 2j bottom end > built sr20 bottom end. any day of any week. thats experience AND common sense talking. oh, and opinion. opinion.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Factory DET bottomend with a P11 head and stock cams put down 491rwhp. Lived like that through multiple drag passes and treks around town. It can be done, but if you want it right, you need to build the bottomend, the VE head opens your motor to a new world.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Kingalton, read the post headline and tags, I don't see anything about what motor or how conservative I can be. Get out of here with your fucking nonsense
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Kingalton, read the post headline and tags, I don't see anything about what motor or how conservative I can be. Get out of here with your fucking nonsense
what nonsense? last time i checked, public forum, public opinions. show me nonsense and i will show you years of experience. and opinions. dont forget opinions. cuss more on the internet it makes you a big man.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

lets compare scenarios:

Build A:
build the sr20 bottom end. spend a few weeks getting machine work done. ordering parts. praying that everything is done right. not knowing or having knowledge of what is actually inside your engine or what the machine shop guys actually did to it or didnt do to it. All you know is they hand you a bill and you pay it and there is no warranty.

Build B:
Stick an OEM engine in the car with a reasonable turbo and a real fuel system and be driving a 500 horsepower car within a week, knowing full well that the factory assembled it and everything is as tight and clearanced the way it should be.

hmmmm tough choice!!!!

Oh god, the most important part. You are also driving an OEM engine with an extra 1 Liter of displacement, so naturally that improves everything about the response of the engine. You can throw all the fancy parts you want at an SR20- but you cant get an extra 1 liter out of it. there is no replacement for... well you know.

oh, but im crazy. everything i say is pure bull$#!T.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The op is interested in HORSEPOWER. Not SR20's no KA's not LSx's not nuthin. WE are HORSEPOWER junkies, not SR20 Junkies. I dont care what the power plant is, if you hand me 500 horsepower thats 500 horsepower to the wheels its going to be fun to drive.
This is the nonsense I'm talking about. He is interested in an SR, a VET to be specific. That's what HE wants. So if you don't have any information on the VET, which clearly you do not, GTFO.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Way to much work to fit a rwd tranny to the stock vvl engine !

S13 or s14 block with p11 is the best !

If you wana save money use the xcessive intake kit compare to mazworx or hypertune ! Z32 tranny if you have the money

My friend is running a s15 6speed tranny on is 430whp vet. Just dont do stupid lunch or clutch kick and your tranny should old on just fine !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
Way to much work to fit a rwd tranny to the stock vvl engine !

S13 or s14 block with p11 is the best !

If you wana save money use the xcessive intake kit compare to mazworx or hypertune ! Z32 tranny if you have the money

My friend is running a s15 6speed tranny on is 430whp vet. Just dont do stupid lunch or clutch kick and your tranny should hold on just fine !
^^This^^, while you save for z33 or z32 conversion.. both are stronger.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

@Kingtalon Unfortunately, i've already purchased the ve head. The 2jz is a great motor, but i'm not interested in it at the moment. Due to my car being nissan, i'm keeping a nissan motor in it. So guys, lets keep it nissan and strictly sr20, thx.
I will also be double checking tolerances after things are machined. I have most of the tools at my disposal at work. So i'm not dropping anything "unknown" into my engine.

@rbs14kouki I'm not matching a fwd block to a rwd trans. I'm installing a VE head onto a rwd DET block. As for the transmission, I've already got an sr20/z33 adapter plate for if i ever need to go z33 trans. At the moment, we're talking about funding and get this thing on the road asap. Tuning will be done by a well reputated Nissan tuner here in Holland.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Well if you all ready have your block and head .

Get a vvl relocation from mazworx or Taarks (those are the 2 i know)

If you dont wana buy a conversion kit a run only on high lobs ! Get a set of kelford cams / vvl killer and block off the back of the head (but if im right you'll need to modifie the rokers abit to have them lock all the time !

Take your time and dont cheap out on the good parts !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

You dont have to modify the rocker arms, just needs a constant oil supply...

I don't understand the point of killing VVL on a street engine. On a race motor I understand, but in something you'll be cruising in traffic and under 80mph just doesn't make sense.

Youll need to swap to a different(stronger) transmission. I would personally do it now, rather than having to pull the trans out at a later date.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LOL @ thread misdirection.

Hardly anyone read the OP.

OP is basically asking what I want to know as well i.e. would it be ok to run a rwd SR20VE-T on a stock DET block? Probably build it at a later date, funds permitted.
He claims to already have EVERYTHING necessary to put it together.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

Finally someone who reads what i'm posting...

I could care less about a 2jz or rb26 at the moment. Its all bout the sr 4 banger. Just a simple streetable machine with great response and speed. Since it needs to be streetable as a daily, i wouldnt be needing any vtec/vvl killers....

I dun want to cheap out on parts.. Bottom line is, i want to use my car. I would hate to have it sitting around waiting for yrs to finish.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

What ECU OP?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

Nistune + rpm switch for solenoid activation
Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad 2NR View Post
LOL @ thread misdirection.

Hardly anyone read the OP.

OP is basically asking what I want to know as well i.e. would it be ok to run a rwd SR20VE-T on a stock DET block? Probably build it at a later date, funds permitted.
He claims to already have EVERYTHING necessary to put it together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
Finally someone who reads what i'm posting...

I could care less about a 2jz or rb26 at the moment. Its all bout the sr 4 banger. Just a simple streetable machine with great response and speed. Since it needs to be streetable as a daily, i wouldnt be needing any vtec/vvl killers....

I dun want to cheap out on parts.. Bottom line is, i want to use my car. I would hate to have it sitting around waiting for yrs to finish.
I answered his question below the 2jz retard...

That guy also ran a Nistune with an external MSD RPM switch to change his cams over. He used one switch to flip both cams at the same time. I'd like to get mine running on seperate switches so we can mess with cam phasing/timing.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I answered his question below the 2jz retard...

That guy also ran a Nistune with an external MSD RPM switch to change his cams over. He used one switch to flip both cams at the same time. I'd like to get mine running on seperate switches so we can mess with cam phasing/timing.
Yes you did.

I think Mazworx opened up the door a whole lot wider with that example and is exactly the reason why Im considering the same thing. VVL on a budget.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Yeah, I bought Whitey's setup, the OG Mazworx swap...

I'm just finishing up the wiring on mine and I should be ready to rock out, hopefully.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

@jr_ss I'm also thinkin of using double switches (i remember one of em MSD switches could activate both cams separately). Do you have a build page?

@conrad how far along are u with such a build? I'm really leaning towards sticking the ve head to a stock det block. maybe just with upgraded pistons and everything else freshened up and OEM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
what nonsense? last time i checked, public forum, public opinions. show me nonsense and i will show you years of experience. and opinions. dont forget opinions. cuss more on the internet it makes you a big man.
You're bananas.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Speeding- Yes I do, it's in the build threads section...
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
@jr_ss I'm also thinkin of using double switches (i remember one of em MSD switches could activate both cams separately). Do you have a build page?

@conrad how far along are u with such a build? I'm really leaning towards sticking the ve head to a stock det block. maybe just with upgraded pistons and everything else freshened up and OEM.
Ive reached nowhere. Im still at that pivotal point where I wont lose out on much if I retain a DET head or go VE-T...
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
jr_ss
Post Whore!

The last straw for me was tossing a rocker arm, never again!