Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
snmlmz

Trader Rating: (1)
snmlmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RB powered by max?

i have a 98 s14 with an rb20det swap. i need a new intercooler and friend told me to get a powered by max intercooler. i read the website and it said its only for sr's can anyone help me with my intercooler problem? just post on the thread thanx.
snmlmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
titangts
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
titangts is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
dude..just go on ebay and buy a cx racing intercooler kit.. its cheap and works..
titangts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
wannabdr1ftr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
wannabdr1ftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by titangts View Post
dude..just go on ebay and buy a cx racing intercooler kit.. its cheap and works..
Don't do this....

Go to rawbrokage.com
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Yeah head over to rawbrokerage.com and hit them up over email. Also take a look at the sales thread for the PBM intercooler and ask there or PM/email them.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
whitepony22
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
whitepony22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Rawbrokerage, or just have someone fab some piping for the PBM high mount. Several guys have it on their rb swap. There are pics in the forum link off the high mount page.
whitepony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
I was running the PBM intercooler on my rb26 s14 !!!! Worked freaking great

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
frizzle
In time-out for misbehaving.

Trader Rating: (45)
frizzle is on the path to ruinfrizzle is on the path to ruinfrizzle is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Get the pbm hmic and just make or modify the ic piping.
frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
240sxr

Trader Rating: (0)
240sxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe what your friend means is that you should get a PBM intercooler because of their hi mount position....but the problem is that your rb need the inlet/outlet on the same side unless you have a custom intake manifold
240sxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I wasnt impressed with the PBM FMIC kit. had a buddy get one for his S14.
Seemed like the Core was just a Universal one.
I hated that I had to fab up mounts for the Core with the supplied straight brackets, Dont even think I used them found some metal lying around the garage.

Hopefully they changed the design by now.

But if you want a bolt up IC, take a look at the Mckinney IC Kit
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
I wasnt impressed with the PBM FMIC kit. had a buddy get one for his S14.
Seemed like the Core was just a Universal one.
I hated that I had to fab up mounts for the Core with the supplied straight brackets, Dont even think I used them found some metal lying around the garage.

Hopefully they changed the design by now.

But if you want a bolt up IC, take a look at the Mckinney IC Kit
yeah they def changed it up, i've heard some horror stories of missing couplers/clamps, wrong piping...some polished, some not, etc. i still went with them though since they "re-designed" the kit. i was pretty impressed. core does seem generic but the welds look good, piping/core are polished, and the clamps are nice polished/t-bolt ones. ONLY thing i can complain about is the amount of trimming you need to fit it. they make it seem very simple snip here snip there but in actuality it was a pain in the ass and not simple. but for like 3 something shipped, you really can't beat it considering it does fit well/lines up, and everything is great quality, not too mention how great their customer service is.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
There was a time we hand made the pipes in the USA, they were not polished.

Now that its a mass produced thing, the appearance is awesome. You can see the progress we went through on our products forum.

It is absolutely a custom built core, and if you look at anyone who uses some random core the intercooler is much smaller.

Yes you have to cut, no you cant use AC but really its all about maximizing the intercooler in that space while leaving the radiator to have some direct flow as well.

Ask anyone who has the MAX HMIC kit, the turbo response is amazing and the water temp is a night and day difference.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
There was a time we hand made the pipes in the USA, they were not polished.

Now that its a mass produced thing, the appearance is awesome. You can see the progress we went through on our products forum.

It is absolutely a custom built core, and if you look at anyone who uses some random core the intercooler is much smaller.

Yes you have to cut, no you cant use AC but really its all about maximizing the intercooler in that space while leaving the radiator to have some direct flow as well.

Ask anyone who has the MAX HMIC kit, the turbo response is amazing and the water temp is a night and day difference.
Not sure if that was a response to me but I was referring to the FMIC Core.
I like all the other parts ya'll make, it was just the mounting points of that core I wasnt impressed with.

This was over a year ago so not sure if yall redesigned it.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
I bought an HMIC Core to use with my 1JZ from PBM. Takes a little bit of cutting and figuring to install on an S13, but it's not really a big deal.

As far as the brackets, they worked fine for me.

If you're going to use the HMIC core with any motor that PBM doesn't offer piping for, it's not really a big deal to make your own pipes. Just buy some aluminum IC pipes from ebay, cut the pieces to make the pipes and have them welded - should take no more than an hour to weld up the pipes if you keep them simple.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Do you mind if i ask what type of core is used for the kit? Is it safe to assume it is a generic core like many of the Ebay brands?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Cx racing intercooler kits. The.rb20 kits fit much better than their Sr20 kits.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Not sure if that was a response to me but I was referring to the FMIC Core.
I like all the other parts ya'll make, it was just the mounting points of that core I wasnt impressed with.

This was over a year ago so not sure if yall redesigned it.
Its too common for UPS to smash our brackets, they love to throw boxes.
But the bracket design is on point FWIW on all of our installations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
As far as the brackets, they worked fine for me.

Just buy some aluminum IC pipes from ebay, cut the pieces to make the pipes and have them welded - should take no more than an hour to weld up the pipes if you keep them simple.
F ebay. In my opinion every aluminum pipe I've seen welds like shit compared to ATP turbo's pipe - thats what we buy when we do custom pipe jobs, not a mirror finish though like our production parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Do you mind if i ask what type of core is used for the kit? Is it safe to assume it is a generic core like many of the Ebay brands?
you quoted me saying its absolutely custom, so no its not safe to say its a generic core.
It is 100% custom built specifically for this application to maximize the space available to the intercooler.
the core is 688x190x86mm
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
gerson408
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
gerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ups does like to throw shit all over the place believe me i know.
gerson408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

F ebay. In my opinion every aluminum pipe I've seen welds like shit compared to ATP turbo's pipe - thats what we buy when we do custom pipe jobs, not a mirror finish though like our production parts.
I stand corrected, lol. Just checked ATP's site, their stuff looks awesome.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Quote:
you quoted me saying its absolutely custom, so no its not safe to say its a generic core.
It is 100% custom built specifically for this application to maximize the space available to the intercooler.
the core is 688x190x86mm
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he meant the quality of the core
fin count/design, cooling capacity, pressure drop, etc?
I mean, is it ARC/Spearco /Garrett Military core quality or Godspeed/Megan/SS Autochrome?
I'm actually considering your kit.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #21
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that MAX uses Greddy cores. Was that on the original kit and not the mass-produced one or was that a rumor?
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
I mean, is it ARC/Spearco /Garrett Military core quality or Godspeed/Megan/SS Autochrome?

That is exactly what I meant. I just didn't want to be that clear and cut incase PBM had a hesitant answer.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Its a bar-plate intercooler like cheaper models you see out there, not tube fin like more expensive units. Reason being the space constraints, tube fin end tanks take up about a half inch more space in front of and in back of the core. Bar plate can be made in any measurements and have flush end tanks. Tube fin materials are only available in a small selection of widths. Our end tanks already touch the lights on S14/15 so we would have been forced into a much slimmer intercooler core had we gone the other direction.

bottom line goals were met considering all things

Price

fit

cooling

insane turbo response

definitely tried and true at this point, we have been doing this for years using every possible method and we are very pleased with the results this product gives to our customers.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post

i think they assume their stuff is superior, since they tried it on their cars? bigger better theory?? who knows, just saying
Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

In regards to MAX HMIC versus the typical huge FMIC, smaller is better

In regards to MAX HMIC versus any smaller off the shelf IC that fits in the HMIC location, bigger is better.

we have indeed tried everything already on our cars, and customers cars that came in for custom work
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
There are benefits to both kinds of intercoolers; bar and plate ic's usually have a denser fin count, meaning the air going through it gives up more of it's heat, but this in turn makes them "flow" less and have a slightly higher pressure drop. You can actually improve the flow by attaching thin aluminum bar stock, cut in half lengthwise, to the front of each plate. I suppose you could do really thin tubing if you're anal about weight, but it would be tricky. This would make a nice bell-mouth entry to the fin sections.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote