Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-23-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
spikevyxel

Trader Rating: (0)
spikevyxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBD I to OBD II conversion?

Im about ready to buy the Greddy Turbo kit for my 95' 240, however im pretty sure i need to convert my OBD connections. Has anyone done this, or is there a specific kit out there to make this easier. Thanks
spikevyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
shift_knob

shift_knob is an unknown quantity at this point
Explain your reasoning behind all of this.
shift_knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
evrae205b
Zilvia Member

evrae205b is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to evrae205b
um you dont have to convert to obd2 that would meana you would need all the lil sensors wiring harness and ecu which would be completly pointless. Like stated above explain your reasoning
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
The reason is because he wants to install the GReddy turbo kit which says its designed for the 96-98 S14 (OBD II). To the original poster, you don't have to convert to OBD II to a make this kit work.
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
spikevyxel

Yeah like SimpleS14 said, i want to install the Greddy Turbo Kit in my car. I couldnt see any reason that the Kit wouldnt work, or why they said it wont work other than the OBD stats. Does anyone know why this kit was made for the 96 -98 models and not the 95... and what would i have to do, if anything, to make this kit work for me.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
check freshalloy
DP_Michelle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikevyxel
Yeah like SimpleS14 said, i want to install the Greddy Turbo Kit in my car. I couldnt see any reason that the Kit wouldnt work, or why they said it wont work other than the OBD stats. Does anyone know why this kit was made for the 96 -98 models and not the 95... and what would i have to do, if anything, to make this kit work for me.
Thanks
There are no differences in the kit, common sense would tell you that. As far as reasoning why they don't include 95, could be the same reason manafacturers sell items from only 91-94 KAs and vice versa, they don't know there were or were not changes and don't know if the application supercedes other years. The hardware part is all identical and if anything it will be easier on a 95 because there's less vacuum issues. The only thing that could possibly come up is clearance to the carbon canister since the 96-98 doesn't have anything in that location under the hood.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
spikevyxel

Well, I wasnt too worried about the hardware fitting, i was more worried about the software not working right. The kits comes with the Greddy E-manage system, which you have to solder into your ECU. Im not very familiar with OBD I or II so i wasnt quite sure if i would have any problems with soldering the E-manage system into a OBD I car. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
EManage suppposedly plugs right in with a socketed harness.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 10-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
spikevyxel

Thats what i thought, however i read the installation manuel from Greddy and it says to solder in wires (Page 15). I honestly cannot see why this wouldnt fit, however i'm most certainly not an expert in the field of 240's or turbo's so i just wanted some other peoples input before i plunge 3+ grand into my car.

I suppose it could be one of those little mistake that the big companies make... and as a result i get confused. (bastard companies )

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
closebyu26

closebyu26 is an unknown quantity at this point
OBD II sucks ass. Don't do anything! One of the main differences between An OBD I and II system are the use of a second O2 sensor on the back side of the cat. The reasoning is that the O2 sensor before the cat will read engine output, and the one on the back side would read how your cat is working. On these measurements, the ECU would attempt to change your perameters to make the engine run at its most efficient, well at least to the engine because of stricter emissions. If you put an OBD II system on that thing, the computer would keep trying to change everything that you were doing to the engine. Very annoying when you spend allot of money, and get no change. However with an e manage, that would probably not be the case. Still....... don't do it!
closebyu26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #12
shift_knob

OBD II does not suck. What the government uses it for makes it suck. There is a lot more to OBD II than the catalyst efficiency monitor.

"If you put an OBD II system on that thing, the computer would keep trying to change everything that you were doing to the engine." - WTF are you talking about?!?!?! Some people don't know their ass hole from a hole in the ground... much less how cars work

Anyway, if you have any doubts, contact the manufacturer and ask. Its possible that the OBD II ECU has a different architecture and the pinout may be different. If the engine management kit comes with a connector specifically designed to mate with the OBD II ECU, you may encounter problems. Just contact the manufacturer and make sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by closebyu26
OBD II sucks ass. Don't do anything! One of the main differences between An OBD I and II system are the use of a second O2 sensor on the back side of the cat. The reasoning is that the O2 sensor before the cat will read engine output, and the one on the back side would read how your cat is working. On these measurements, the ECU would attempt to change your perameters to make the engine run at its most efficient, well at least to the engine because of stricter emissions. If you put an OBD II system on that thing, the computer would keep trying to change everything that you were doing to the engine. Very annoying when you spend allot of money, and get no change. However with an e manage, that would probably not be the case. Still....... don't do it!

Your brain must be a black hole. All S14s have a rear O2 sensor, OBDI and OBDII. The 'main' difference is the EVAP canister design, and the change to a standard code system. The ECU could care less about how many turbos you've got as long as it's seeing what it needs to see.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #14
shift_knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
Your brain must be a black hole. All S14s have a rear O2 sensor, OBDI and OBDII. The 'main' difference is the EVAP canister design, and the change to a standard code system. The ECU could care less about how many turbos you've got as long as it's seeing what it needs to see.
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #15
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
I know someone with a Greddy turbo kit and VSPL front mount intercooler.

DIRECT PLUG AND PLAY! Just a PITA installing the manifold. Because the stud barely clears the manifold, you have to work the bolt in there. Other than that installation is cake. Your bumper support wont fit, unless you trim the hell out of it. Also, your car will see stalling issues because there's no bov+recirc.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #16
closebyu26

closebyu26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_knob
THANK YOU!!!!
I think your both full of it! My doesn't have one which makes it an OBD I system. As for the canister, thats just foor the fuel system. It pulls in fumes from the tank and recycles them into the intake. Don't start talking sh^$ if your not absolutly sure what your talking about!
closebyu26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #17
spikevyxel

Hehe... aside from the argueing, thanks guys. I did contact Greddy but have yet to receive a reply. I think i might try calling them. Its good to hear about somebody elses experiances with the Greddy Kit. I really appreciate your help. I suppose i will just keep OBD I and try to make the kit work... and hopefully it was just a mistake made by Greddy about the compatibility with the earlier S14's.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #18
mistert
Pearl White Mike

mistert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mistert Send a message via AIM to mistert
closebyu your thing says youre in japan, there is NO OBDII in japan to my knowledge.

oh yeah and the reason greddy doesnt offer it for the obd1 car is because of the cost of carb certification. getting that carb EO is extremely expensive and because the vast majority of s14's are obd2 compliant, they would end up paying double to test and certify a minority of cars. and (ive been told) that it works just fine there are just a couple of wires left over when installing the emanage on an early s14
Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #19
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
I think your both full of it! My doesn't have one which makes it an OBD I system. As for the canister, thats just foor the fuel system. It pulls in fumes from the tank and recycles them into the intake. Don't start talking sh^$ if your not absolutly sure what your talking about!
You get my vote for dumbest fucking cunt of the day. EVERY US Spec S14 has a rear O2 sensor. 95-98, every single one, auto, 5spd, whatever options/specs, they all have one.
The carbon canister pulls fuel vapor from the tank and reburns it, however the EVAP canister is a little more advanced in that it's not a constant draw from the tank, and it's controlled by the ECU directly.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
Avante
Zilvia Addict

Avante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfectionAvante is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert
oh yeah and the reason greddy doesnt offer it for the obd1 car is because of the cost of carb certification.
The Greddy kit for the OBDII is CARB certified?

last i heard they were still pending?

i could be wrong, though.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #21
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Pending. We've called them up, and they said at the end of the year. But meh, I bet they're full of BS.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #22
mistert
Pearl White Mike

mistert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mistert Send a message via AIM to mistert
yeah but pending is good enough not to get a costly repair order in california
Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #23
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
AHAHAHAHAHA closebyu26 owned by Russ! hah the best part is that in his own words:
Quote:
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #24
spikevyxel

Finally... Greddy replied to my Email. This is what they said...

"Thanks for your interest in GReddy performance products. The only thing that keeps the turbo kit from working with your car is the factory ecu. The fact is that your vehicle is OBD1 and the programming for the e-manage was for an OBD2 vehicle. In order to get the kit working you will need to make some changes to the base map settings in order to get it to run."

Since im really not familiar with the Factory map setings, how would i go about changing those.. and i thought that the E-manage changes those settings anyway.