Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
XXX4life
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
XXX4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to XXX4life
sr20 or ka-t?

ok so currently i have a 90 240 hatch, the body is flawless the only thing bad about the car is the motor and tranny are about dead i've decided to build the car, i'm getting a full cage in it in the next month or so and i'm bulding the car for the mountain roads and the track and for occasional drifting i figure like 250hp will be good for what i want, so i want an sr20 but a ka24de would be cheaper and since i don't want much power would that be a better choice? i have lots of turbo parts to use from my jetta that i'm 'm sellingg, so what motor would you choose and why?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
97DubTruck
Zilvia Junkie

97DubTruck is making a name for him/her self97DubTruck is making a name for him/her self
if the motor and tranny are almost dead then why go ka-t? you dont want to do all that work then blow up the damn thing. limited slip, suspension, sr swap.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
XXX4life
Zilvia Member

XXX4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to XXX4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97DubTruck
if the motor and tranny are almost dead then why go ka-t? you dont want to do all that work then blow up the damn thing. limited slip, suspension, sr swap.
no i'm talking abotu putting a new motor in, cureently i have a ka24e and i would put in a ka24de
Old 08-31-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
kaje36
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
kaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kaje36
both motors have alot of potential, I beleave no one else can realy tell you what to buy. you have to look at how the engine reacts, were it makes its power, and everything about the charicteristics of the engine in question. only way you can realy be happy with the engine.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
If you're looking only at cost...

For less than 250rwhp..the KA24DE-T is the way to go.

250-350rwhp...it's a toss up...cost is similar. Here you're upgrading injectors on the SR, bigger turbo, etc...similar stuff to a KA-T buildup.

350-450rwhp...built KA vs stock block SR...cost wise, SR has the edge by a small margin.

Anything over 450rwhp...again, a toss up...it's preference. You have to replace SO much to get there, that it really doesn't matter which motor you start with...not much is left of the original setup, other than block/head.

- Brian
Old 08-31-2004, 11:17 AM   #6
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
i say ka-t. you'll have your 250hp but with an assload of torque and a fatpower band. it'll cost just as much as an sr20 with everything needed to be done to it but way more fun. ka-t all the way
Old 08-31-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
deffinitely get an sr20det it has a stock turbo, and Is a simple swap, light weight very easy to install and after market is plentiful. my vote for the sr.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
mjjstang
Post Whore!

mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
If I were goin to do a swap I would surely do a kat because it is cheaper and for most parts you dont have to rely on someone in japan trying to get them for you, My vote for the kat.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Neither... both engine blows
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
Old 08-31-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjstang
deffinitely get an sr20det it has a stock turbo, and Is a simple swap, light weight very easy to install and after market is plentiful. my vote for the sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjstang
If I were goin to do a swap I would surely do a kat because it is cheaper and for most parts you dont have to rely on someone in japan trying to get them for you, My vote for the kat.
WTF.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_X
WTF.

i'm crazy. and so am i.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
i'd go with whichiever engine you can afford to freshly rebuild with high quality bottom end components.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
mjjstang
Post Whore!

but if all he wants is 250 there is no need to rebuild sr.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:43 PM   #14
BSeay
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

BSeay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BSeay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_X
WTF.

Love the pic! lol... but it's your choice if you're gonna ask which is better search because it's been discussed 12158481684189119818194198148.316 times...
Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 PM   #15
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
250rwhp? definetaly ka-t.

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Old 08-31-2004, 10:20 PM   #16
RedSuns
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSuns is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RedSuns
SR all the way....

the KA-T is a fat pig that wallows in it's own feces...

IBTL

and i like tacos
1991 240SX
1974 260Z
1996 Honda CBR 600 F3
Old 09-02-2004, 05:15 PM   #17
96twofourty
Zilvia Junkie

96twofourty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSuns
SR all the way....

the KA-T is a fat pig that wallows in it's own feces...

IBTL

and i like tacos
you're such a tool that knows nothing about cars. "base timing is base timing"

ps ka>sr
Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #18
Id-
Zilvia Member

Id- is an unknown quantity at this point
250whp is doable on the stock turbod SR... motor weighs less, is much more reliable in the power department, etc... all in all they prolly cost about the same to do... most of the cheap setups for KAs are exactly that... cheap and ghetto...

i know all about piecing together a kit and how expensive it is... been there done that

92 Nissan 240sx base coupe
-clean KA24DE swapped in
-GTIR T28
-Big FMIC
-565cc STi Injectors w/ Z32 MAF
-J30 VLSD w/ subframe spacers
-RPS Max clutch
-3" turboback
-PLMS Daughterboard on modded ECU
Old 09-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #19
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Search noob! This is the eleventybillionth time this thread has appeared.
-Jeff