Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-28-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
240 2NR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
240 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Rack Bushings...

Anyone swap theirs?

SCC can't say enough about the difference it made on project STi and for all the added crispness, there is no added harshness. Lately my steering feels sluggish at turn in (doesn't help that I just test drove an Evo) and similar symptoms to what SCC described.

So has anyone upgraded thir sterering rack bushings? Was it a worthwhile mod? How hard was it to do?

Sounds like an easy cheap mod.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
citizen
Zilvia FREAK!

citizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to citizen
Energy Suspension Z32 steering rack bushings, cost about $12. Install is simple, but the left hand side one may be a tad dificult to slide into position. Can't fairly evaluate the diference it made because the stock old ones i swapped out were really bad, i.e. letting the rack slide side to side about half an inch. After installation of the bushings the stiffness hastened my tie rods demise. so swapped those soon after as well.
citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They sell them specifically for the S13 and S14, too, but, it's pretty much the same part. They come as part of the complete "hyper flex" kit...
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
ype
i bought my ES for 8 bucks for the pair at the shop in LBC...i forget the name, they sell ES and you can get the number thru ES if you cal them for a shop in LBC..damn i forget the name!!
i wanna say team C or team 8
team something i think..
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
thirteenlashes

thirteenlashes is an unknown quantity at this point
Its cake...4 bolts, slide old ones out, slide new ones in. It felt a lot better, but I did LCA bushings at the same time so I am not sure which contributed the most (and my rack bushings were in decent shape). I replaced the tc rod bushings with whiteline bushings about a year ago; those made more of an impact than steering rack bushings and LCA combined. Rear subframe bushings also made a huge difference...the car feels much more stable while cornering and seems to settle into turns more quickly. Those add ride harshness, though.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
West
OMNOMNOMNOM

West has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to West
Steve, I know its a big problem with Scoobies and their steering rack bushings. It fix's the nasty bump steer that is prevalent in most scoobies (Impreza's). We are going to order a set for the scooby once we get some $, plus if everyone is saying there this cheap for the 240 ones then why not. Bump steer is the devil! I might as well get them while I am ditching the PS & HICAS.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
ype
i bought my ES for 8 bucks for the pair at the shop in LBC...i forget the name, they sell ES and you can get the number thru ES if you cal them for a shop in LBC..damn i forget the name!!
i wanna say team C or team 8
team something i think..
i'm pretty sure it's team c, now you got me confused too, because that's what my smog guy recommended and that's where i went, it's cheap, it's on lakewood off the 91....
i changed it when i changed my steering rack to hicas as well as all my other suspension pieces, coilovers, pillowball tension rods, pillowball tie rod ends... so i really can't tell the difference...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote