Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
1sikgti
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
1sikgti has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1sikgti
keys fall out of ignition,car still runs???

So,doin alittle canyon action an keys fall in my lap,hmmmmm??? Now,I like the idea of this,lets me run into 7/11 with the car runnin,but with the keys in my pocket.What ill side effect's could come of this an if any,how do you fix this?
1sikgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my friend's dad's car could do that...
pretty neat i thought.

i dunno what negative effects that could have, except maybe your car is easy to steal now or something
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
1sikgti
Zilvia Junkie

ya,I think its awsome also.Just last night I had to move some things on the side of the house.I was able to take the keys with me to unlock the gate,an leave the car on to have headlights to see.My friend worried me though,sayin what if the car shuts off without the keys in the ignition while in the canyon an everything locks up?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
THX1138
Zilvia Member

THX1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since your ignition lock is worn out, you can deal with it any way you like. But in the future I recommend carrying two sets of keys.

The one I drive with has just my car key and my office locker key on a small split ring, and it weighs damn near nothing. The other set has my car key, my wife's car key, keys to my house, my mom's car and house, my mini-warehouse, and a half-dozen others I don't recognize along with a big brass Mickey Mouse head. It weights 7.3 ounces.

If you do that, then you don't have to worry about wearing the ignition lock down to the point that you (or a thief) can start the car with a crispy piece of bacon, and you've got a spare in your pocket in case you happen to lock your other key inside the car.
THX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
CustomS14A
Zilvia Junkie

CustomS14A is an unknown quantity at this point
If its a copy of the original key there is a 3 10 it will do that but if its the orignal key you have some good problems.
CustomS14A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #6
1sikgti
Zilvia Junkie

ya,its a copy key.I tried to start it with a screw driver an that didnt work,kinda relieving.But I was able to unlock my friends 91 s13 with my key,lol!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
I awsome you have an S14 then? Hmm...

I know quite a few people with cars that you can just pull the key out of the ignition,rather cool but if you don't make sure to lock it in place,you can just turn the ignition by the little thumbguards ( I've done it,lol joy ride).

*Note to self,try using 1991 S13 key to unlock/start s14*
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 AM   #8
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikgti
So,doin alittle canyon action an keys fall in my lap,hmmmmm??? Now,I like the idea of this,lets me run into 7/11 with the car runnin,but with the keys in my pocket.What ill side effect's could come of this an if any,how do you fix this?
Ill side effects??.....anyone else with a "shaved" key can end up getting into your car & taking your car.

http://www.wtvt.com/investreptr/jiggler-key.html

How it's caused. It's due to the excessive weight placed on tumblers inside the ignition key cylinder. Most people carry a shitload of keys with them on one keyring. They will then place the vehicle's ignition key inside the ignition switch with all that extra weight dangling from the ignition switch With time, the small springs that hold the key & the tumblers in place tend to weaken, letting the key come out rather easily.

How to fix it? Replace the ignition switch & ONLY insert the ignition key into it....don't dangle any additional weight / keys from the keyring.

Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID
95 SE
idlafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlafie
Ill side effects??.....anyone else with a "shaved" key can end up getting into your car & taking your car.
Seems to me that the S13 would be victim to a key like that anyway,without the tumbler messed up ?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
s13silviak

s13silviak is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i had the same thing happen to me in my old 90 240sx it was because the key was worn down not the ignition but i liked it i could start my car and leave it run with the doors locked but i had 2 other keys made too and it fixed the problem
s13silviak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:27 AM   #11
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71
Seems to me that the S13 would be victim to a key like that anyway,without the tumbler messed up ?
Not really.....a "shaved" key makes it easier, but if the tumblers are somewhat new with good springs, then the shaved key won't work. See the attached links & follow them and you'll get a better idea of how locks work and what I'm talking about. .

http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking3.htm

ID
'95 SE
idlafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Good point,but S13's aren't exactly "new" lol,thanks for the clear up
Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
ISTOTOSAO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ISTOTOSAO will become famous soon enoughISTOTOSAO will become famous soon enoughISTOTOSAO will become famous soon enoughISTOTOSAO will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have a funny thing along theses lines. At the alignment shop the tech went to a 280zx with my key got in started it up and test drove it (to check the alignment) and then put it up on the rack. Then the owner come running over from the carwash he works at and is like "what's going on".

I thought it was funny.

Steven