Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
saraxumus15

Trader Rating: (0)
saraxumus15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA breaking up to no start

I have a 1990 240sx. The guy i bought it from swapped the single cam auto to 5spd dual cam ka24de. i oem rebuilt a new ka because the one the guy put in he just rebuilt but some how managed to throw a rod and shatter the piston in the block. anyways i get my motor right and drop it in. had issues here in there but i got it running. it was set at tdc.. i had an issue where it would start and shut down and bogg under acceleration. but i decided to hook up my knock sensor and it ran.

heres where the real problems come in.
so im drivin one night and it starts breaking up under acceleration. as i pull into a lot, it dies and wont start back up. i had a friend of my bring me a spare dizzy and coil but that wasnt it. i had no spark. so i checked my fuses. none were blown but i checked the ignition switch fuse and swapped it and it ran.. the next night it died again with the same symtoms... this time i swapped my coil and ignitor chip, and it started fine. no breaking up or anything. maybe about 2wks later it started again.. it jerked like hell for a day or so then finally died. i got my boys coil and ignitor chip it started, ran for 20secs or so and shut off immediately with no warning stutter etc.. it jus shit off lik i turned the key off. got it started again and began to drive.. it it stuttered worse than ever! jerking, whiplash etc.. i stopped by a friends on the way home and he said it sounded like a weak spark. i get it home and shut it down it starts back up runs with a mis then evens out.. i give it gas it would still stutter and sometimes shut off with no warning on the decel to idle. got new plugs wires dizzy ive been thru 3 coils now and it still even did the same thing when i got a blaster msd coil.. sometimes while cranking would have spark, then no spark, then sometimes a weak spark. so i figured it was electrical.but when i got the dizzy it started..did fine for about a block or two. then i got to a light and i slightly revved it and i could hear it begin to break up again.. got it to a friends shop and played with dizzy timing somemore. (when i first got it running it was set tdc, now for some reason it wouldnt start at tdc.. i timed it to 15 before and it ran) then later it still began breaking up. anyways after playing playing and playing with the timing.. it starts... drive it, does good.. good acceleration, etc then i merge onto a side road and as im goin from 4th to 3rd it dies again..i tow it to a friends shop he finds no spark.. i get a new harness and put it on lastnight.. i have spark now. now its jus throwin my knock sensor..b4 it was throwing

11 and 21
which is cam/crank position sensor(11)
and ignition signal primary(21)

BUT NOW I HAVE SPARK.. I WOULD UNPLUG AN INJECTOR IT"LL STUTTER LIKE IT WANTS TO CATCH. EVER SO OFTEN IT DOES IT WITH ALL INJECTORS.. I HAVE INJECTOR PULSE AND SPARK.. COMPRESSION IS AROUND 150.

I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE A LOT HERE BUT I WANTED TO GIVE ALL DETAILS
saraxumus15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
mckeeX)

Trader Rating: (1)
mckeeX) is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
where is the ignition switch fuse, coil, and igniter chip located? I'm having the same problems with my car to
mckeeX) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
saraxumus15

Trader Rating: (0)
saraxumus15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The ignition switch fuse is the first green fuse to the right in the fuse panel in the bay... the ignitor chip and coil are together on a bracket.. trace your coil wire from the dizzy... that's ur coil the ignitior chip is on that same bracket..

Problem solved.. new harness and fuel pump
saraxumus15 is offline   Reply With Quote