Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
What the hell is up with Tein?

I just emailed Tein too see how much replacement dampeners were just in case in the future if I had a problem, I know how much I would be spending. I emailed them around a month ago and got this.

Hello Art,

We apologize for the delayed reply. Unfortunately exact replacement of our
HE damper is no longer available for this kit has been discontinued. We can
offer replacement single dampers of our Flex or Super Drift coilovers which
has the same features as our HE damper. With replacing to these, we
recommend for you to purchase both left and right of either front or rear if
a single damper replacement is needed. MSRP for a single damper is $660.00
each front and $470 each rear (single dampers do not include springs or
uppermounts for they are sold separately as a pair only). If you have any
further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

TEIN U.S.A. Inc.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: 562-861-9161
Fax: 562-861-9171
[email protected]

From what I understand to replace all the dampeners it would be $2260.
They sell there Super drift set for $1,7xx. I just can't understand why they would charge so much for just dampeners alone.
I don't see what makes there shit so amazing to charge that.
PBM coils are 1k and they are super nice, and I have heard only great stuff about them.
They only charge $100 per dampener. Now that makes more sense.
I'm going to just buy PBM's next time.

Does anyone have an idea why they would charge more for dampeners then the whole kit?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
because individual prices are more than kit prices......
it is common sense.

they want you to buy a kit
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Josh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Josh has a spectacular aura aboutJosh has a spectacular aura aboutJosh has a spectacular aura aboutJosh has a spectacular aura aboutJosh has a spectacular aura aboutJosh has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
I just emailed Tein too see how much replacement dampeners were just in case in the future if I had a problem, I know how much I would be spending. I emailed them around a month ago and got this.

Hello Art,

We apologize for the delayed reply. Unfortunately exact replacement of our
HE damper is no longer available for this kit has been discontinued. We can
offer replacement single dampers of our Flex or Super Drift coilovers which
has the same features as our HE damper. With replacing to these, we
recommend for you to purchase both left and right of either front or rear if
a single damper replacement is needed. MSRP for a single damper is $660.00
each front and $470 each rear (single dampers do not include springs or
uppermounts for they are sold separately as a pair only). If you have any
further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

TEIN U.S.A. Inc.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: 562-861-9161
Fax: 562-861-9171
[email protected]

From what I understand to replace all the dampeners it would be $2260.
They sell there Super drift set for $1,7xx. I just can't understand why they would charge so much for just dampeners alone.
I don't see what makes there shit so amazing to charge that.
PBM coils are 1k and they are super nice, and I have heard only great stuff about them.
They only charge $100 per dampener. Now that makes more sense.
I'm going to just buy PBM's next time.

Does anyone have an idea why they would charge more for dampeners then the whole kit?
They are full of shit, they can still rebuild HE's. In fact, I had my driver front rebuilt 6 months ago and cost me 150 bucks + shipping.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
maybe you were lucky and received the last of the parts from tein for HE rebuilds. Its quite simple really. Megan also offers replacement shocks for 100 dollars. Not trying to assume anything but a lower cost of production generally equals lower cost of sale.

Leading me to believe Tein actually has and applications and design engineer while PBM or megan doesn't ? IDK. Last time when we were doing test measurements/test fit of parts on a press release sample 370Z from nissan, I personally saw the Tein guys roll up and started dissasembling the passenger side corners for measurement while we were measuring the driverside. Nice guys really and they have some nice measuring equipment as well. I did not see anyone from megan/pbm/other cheap companies at this measuring day. I did see the cosworth and Jim wolf guys there as well inspecting engine components etc. When i went to the Tein facility to pull our parts off the press release car I got help from one of their technitians who was admist actually rebuilding a pair of shocks.
I mean think about it. How much engineering and design do you think went into those shocks if megan or pbm can sell for 100 bucks. I wouldn;t be suprised that they use the shocks for multiple applications.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvtisupra View Post
maybe you were lucky and received the last of the parts from tein for HE rebuilds. Its quite simple really. Megan also offers replacement shocks for 100 dollars. Not trying to assume anything but a lower cost of production generally equals lower cost of sale.

Leading me to believe Tein actually has and applications and design engineer while PBM or megan doesn't ? IDK. Last time when we were doing test measurements/test fit of parts on a press release sample 370Z from nissan, I personally saw the Tein guys roll up and started dissasembling the passenger side corners for measurement while we were measuring the driverside. Nice guys really and they have some nice measuring equipment as well. I did not see anyone from megan/pbm/other cheap companies at this measuring day. I did see the cosworth and Jim wolf guys there as well inspecting engine components etc. When i went to the Tein facility to pull our parts off the press release car I got help from one of their technitians who was admist actually rebuilding a pair of shocks.
I mean think about it. How much engineering and design do you think went into those shocks if megan or pbm can sell for 100 bucks. I wouldn;t be suprised that they use the shocks for multiple applications.

That does make sense. But PBM coils are relatively new I believe. So maybe that's why you didn't see pbm? I have rear reviews from PBM users and some even used tein before and was happy they switched.

I understand they put a lot of R&D into them. I just see it as dumb. I go buy new dampeners for $2,260,Of buy new tein coilovers for $1,700, Or I buy PBM for $1,000 and have the same results. I just see it as that way, If there having progress with this way, awesome on there port, they just won't get me to buy from them.

I know you were comparing Megan and PBM, and I understand why. But I have heard horror stories about Megan many, many times.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13 View Post
because individual prices are more than kit prices......
it is common sense.

they want you to buy a kit
I understand that, but why such a huge price difference? I see it this way. I buy tein coils, the dampeners blow sometime down the road. I just need one, maybe 2 and i'll be on my way. But they want $1,320 just for front dampeners? Better yet, they want me to spend $1,700 for a complete kit, I'd rather not. I would just switch to a different coilover.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
then do it lol
they have people doing that shit alllll day in japan. the small ass american market for coilovers is hardly a hit to them. tein is the #1 company for coils over here
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
you're asking why an individual shock is more expensive than 25% of a kit? come on kid
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
I understand that, but why such a huge price difference? I see it this way. I buy tein coils, the dampeners blow sometime down the road. I just need one, maybe 2 and i'll be on my way. But they want $1,320 just for front dampeners? Better yet, they want me to spend $1,700 for a complete kit, I'd rather not. I would just switch to a different coilover.
I'm sure the cost of all the OEM replacement parts for a 240sx is much more than 2x the cost of one new(adjusted for inflation).
Old 03-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Im pretty sure you can still have them overhauled. Maybe just replacement parts like the shock body no longer exist. It sucks, but they have been discontinued for a while now I believe.
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote