Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
fastpace
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fastpace is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up pointers for autox

Hey what's up yall. Well Bbandit and I had our second autox and it was so much fun. By the way Bbandit is a very good driver without VLSD and a stock suspension. Well anyways I am getting better everytime, but I know there is a couple of things that I can improve on. I am starting to trust the car and pushing it more. But I think I am sluggish when I go through slaloms and existing corners. I was wondering what were some of yall's experience with your driving ability in the beginning of your autox or road racing days compared to how has it changed? I now it has changed for the better, but what were some of the things yall have change about your driving( nothing to do with suspension upgrades)?

"well, I go out, I do the practice, I think about it and I concentrate on one small thing I can change that will have an effect. I make that change then I go out and drive to my maximum." -Ayrton Senna
fastpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
thelinja
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
thelinja is making a name for him/her selfthelinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well the first time I raced I pretty much sucked. I didn't break my tires lose around corners or anything. I slowed down too much for turns and didn't use apexes at all. I just drove. I got last. The next autocross I went to I felt a little more confident with my car and it's limits. I also did a lot better and finished 12th out of 18 cars. Right now I feel more comfortable with my car after I've been driving it for almost eight months. I can also read corners better. I don't think I really need to change anything about my driving. I just think it comes with experience. Of course I could probably go to an HPDE and get educated, but I don't have that kind of money right now. To sum it up, you just need practice, and you need to know your cars abilities, as well as it's limits. This all will come in time.
thelinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
gabossie
Zilvia Junkie

gabossie is an unknown quantity at this point
I am still racing my 240 in stock classes so nothing has changed there. The biggest difference I have noticed over time is my awareness of things around me and ability to concentrate. The first time I raced I couldn't think about anything like apexes or even looking at my gauges (I have no idea how high I was revving). Since then I have been able to concentrate better and better on other things which has greatly improved my times. Outside of going to a school, the best thing you can do is to read up on techniques and try them, but most of all, get more experience.

If ignorance is bliss, then you, my friend, are having an orgasm as we speak.

Quote:
If something breaks, it needed replacing anyway -chickenmanq
Todays Faith in Human Kind:Low
gabossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
fastpace
you're a great driver too man
we all started as a newbie anyways
besides i've been in this stuff for 2 years now
but still i think i need more improvements
tips and tricks : push your car to the limit
and it takes time to know the limit of your car
be smooth on the gas/brake pedals
turn your wheel wisely.. dont overdo it
keep the car balanced on the turn so it wont over/understeer
brake BEFORE you enter a corner
avoid braking while you turn (you could loose control)
keep your speed constant on slaloms
stay close to the cones (dont go too far)
but yea.. i ate 7 cones last sundays
for some reason.. those cones loves me i guess

btw...
here's some picture of the autoX
http://www.maddphatt.com/autox20032/
warning: huge jpg files.. havent got the time to resize it...
i have an exam tommorrow

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
heh... i feel like I'm getting slower, and as the autoXes went on my mistakes have been getting bigger. It's probably because driving smoother usually means faster, which feels slower, so you're lured into a false sense of confidence, to you try to get on the throttle more, which spins you out since you were already near the limit.

biggest suggestion: pay more attention to how you're entering corners and where you're apexing them, rather than how fast you can get in between corners.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
pchio
Zilvia Member

pchio is an unknown quantity at this point
#1 thing, REMEMBER the course, have a course walk or more than 1 if you can't remember it. So you have a idea on how the driving line before you go out.

Also, always look as far as possible, even u r cornering. Try it, and you will see the difference.

-Pat
pchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:37 PM   #7
thelinja
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
thelinja is making a name for him/her selfthelinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's another tip: try to get a ride with a more experienced driver. Most of the guys at the autocrosses I went to last fall were more than happy to let me ride with them. It made me realize what I was doing wrong, and also that I suck.
thelinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:02 AM   #8
Dave

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Reading

I read Solo Secrets or something like that written by Henry Watts. Good book it helped me alot my first season. Remember slow is smoth and smooth is fast. I walk the course at least 3 times, you should pick places where you know you'll be WOT and on the brakes. Walking w/ an experienced driver helps also. They can help point out the fast line and the right apexes. I always remember which cones I need to "aim" for usually the outside leading into the turn, the apex cone and the outside leading to the next element.

Goodluck,

David J.
'89 240sx
CO Region STS
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
gabossie
Zilvia Junkie

gabossie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Bbandit, how do you do with the open diff? I still have my open diff and manage to place in the top 3 or 4 usually in novice, but in GS I am usually near the bottom of the field. I just picked up a LSD, but I have to clean it up change the oil and get the pre '95 J30 axels before I can install it. It will be interesting to see how that changes my times. I think with that I will still be able to compete in stock catagories since it is basically the same diff as was an option on our cars (same gearing, different output flanges)

If ignorance is bliss, then you, my friend, are having an orgasm as we speak.

Quote:
If something breaks, it needed replacing anyway -chickenmanq
Todays Faith in Human Kind:Low
gabossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #10
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
Quote:
Originally posted by gabossie
Hey Bbandit, how do you do with the open diff? I still have my open diff and manage to place in the top 3 or 4 usually in novice, but in GS I am usually near the bottom of the field. I just picked up a LSD, but I have to clean it up change the oil and get the pre '95 J30 axels before I can install it. It will be interesting to see how that changes my times. I think with that I will still be able to compete in stock catagories since it is basically the same diff as was an option on our cars (same gearing, different output flanges)
im doing quite alright on my class (DSP)
i know i should get into GS but DSP seems to be a lot more competitive since all of the 240s are in the DSP
i finished 3rd last autocross with 101.7xx sec
2nd position ran 101.3xx
1st place ran 100.xxx <-- with slicks and tein HEs
hopefully, i'll do a lot better next autoX

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote