Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
hacknik
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
hacknik is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headgasket

I just recently acquired an 89' s13 hatch with an original SOHC KA with about 270kms on it and the chassis. The only issue that it has right now, would be the fact that the headgasket is blown. Now, i know that this can be a quick and cheap fix, but my question is, what happens when the head itself is warped? How much (roughly) would it cost to fix? And seeing as it is only a single cam, would it be a smarter decission to ignore the leaky gasket (and most likely the warped head) and just go along with a DOHC ka that has lower KM's?
hacknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
CrazyKoukiS14
Leaky Injector

CrazyKoukiS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CrazyKoukiS14
if this isnt your daily driver then in my opinion you should just dump that engine and forget about and swap in a KA or an SR, w/e you can afford. But if you want to fix it and drive on it then just get a new stock head gasket and then razor blade the remains of the last one off your cylinder head and block that way you apply the new head gasket on a fresh and smooth new surface
CrazyKoukiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
hacknik
Leaky Injector

yea, i thought it over, im just going to ditch the current single slammer, and grab a DOHC KA. then save up over the winter for a CA18.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
CA18? why? just to be different? They are good engines but in Canada there is NO parts. Anywhere. KA-T DOHC or SR.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacknik View Post
I just recently acquired an 89' s13 hatch with an original SOHC KA with about 270kms on it and the chassis. The only issue that it has right now, would be the fact that the headgasket is blown. Now, i know that this can be a quick and cheap fix, but my question is, what happens when the head itself is warped? How much (roughly) would it cost to fix? And seeing as it is only a single cam, would it be a smarter decission to ignore the leaky gasket (and most likely the warped head) and just go along with a DOHC ka that has lower KM's?
Take the head to get re-surfaced and re-valved it really isn't that expensive.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
CrazyKoukiS14
Leaky Injector

yeah forget about the C18, build the KA if anything, personally i dont like SR's with all the money that you spend on the swap you can have a bad ass KA sitting in your engine bay
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
hacknik
Leaky Injector

true, but a buddy of mine has a fully built CA18, and i love the fact that he can rev the piss out of it. The power band is amazing, it sounds different, its light, and for the most important part, its different. Its kind of annoying when ever you talk to other S chassis owners, and find that they all have either SR's, or N/A KA's. Then there are the small amount of guys with the KA-T's, and an even smaller amount of guys with CA18s. The engine has potential, and i don't mind how much money i end up putting into it, or how long it takes. In the end, it will be worth it. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love revving to 9,000 and not having to worry about anything blowing up? =D
Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
CrazyKoukiS14
Leaky Injector

one dont you become one of the few that has a KA-T, my friends got one and his car runs amazing