Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
s14 S14 frame rail rust

Hey guys,

I am currently looking at a 95 240sx LE(canada has 95 LE's) and from what the seller tells me, it has rust in the wheel wheel (a small amount, easy to repair) and I'm not worried about that. Here is exactly what he told me about the frame rail. "needs the driver frame rail" Well from what I gathered from searching, frame rails are really hard to come by new, and these cars are unibody...If the frame rails are integrated into the unibody, is this car junk?. However he does work at a nissan dealership and says he CAN get a new frame rail. This puzzles me.

Since these cars (s14's) aren't the easiest thing to come by in Canada, I'm thinking this is a good buy even if it needs some rust repair. The price on it is pretty decent as well. The paint looks really good, and no dents. 12,000$ in receipts.

I HAVE searched, and I mostly get S13 rust repair threads involving patching the frame rail and wheel wells and finishing it off with POR-15. Information varies with the frame rails.

If you guys can shed any light at all, even if you think this guy is full of it, please do.

Thanks
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have the ability to fabricate stuff and are up to the challenge, then its your call.

But as soon as rust hits the frame rail... I'm gonna go ahead and say stay away.
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Order the frame rail from Nissan and stall it. DoNE.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
shortcake

shortcake is an unknown quantity at this point
have a similar problem on my car. my fucking rocker panels are rusted and that bugs me to shit. i'm almost scared to look at the frame rail.

but if you can put a new one in

DO IT
i wish ihad a LE, i mean 5 lug, fog lights, abs, nicer gauge cluster and PLEATHER!
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Zacho
Zilvia Member

...I think its maybe best I don't get this car!
haha

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
chi-townS13

chi-townS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
shawwwk that's a pretty hefty hole.. Looks like then one I was working with on my s13. From what I have read I would suggest to look at those receipts, you know make sure he actually has them and not bluffing. also you didn't mention anything about the rear towers.. I see the hole there but It can easily be fixed. The well protecters are eeasy to repair its just a matter of grinding that exses rust, unbolting and hammering out the well and then replace, then use something like por-15 as you mention to fill. as for the frame rail if your concerned about swaping one i can see why. You are going to do some grinding and welding. Lifting the floor from the rail may be a task but it's most definitely do-able like sooshi said order from nissan and install it. Buy a Hanes repair manual from ebay or something. How much is he asking?

In my personal opinion This buy could go either way you could a: end up with a beautiful s14 or b: a car that goes to crap because the work that needs to be done always gets pushed aside. If you are willing to put time and effort then go for it.

I would throughouly inspect the car. all 4 strut towers. If even there is rust on the wells(because it's fixable) just make sure those towers are clean. And if it has a decent body then your all good. I'm sure you well stumble upon a parts car soemtime soon. Anyways best of luck.

This is my first reply to a thread on Zilvia.net used to be 240sx.org but have now converted..LOL
chi-townS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well yeah, I know what you mean. The rear towers are clean from what I could see.

And I saw the 12,000$ in reciepts, it was a FAT stack. All from the same two places. But you have to look at this as it could go both ways. That much in receipts means one of two things...Got to take it for a drive and the KA is definitely sounding rough. But thats no problem as it is going to be a SR swapped car. The rust is pretty darn bad, and it's making me either want to a) lowball him because its really not worth what hes asking right now b) buy a shell from the states and swap all these parts onto it. Maybe I'm getting to far ahead of myself. I kinda would just like to buy a car thats rust free off the bat and ready to swap but if this could save me some money/be worth my while I may go ahead with it. Considering the rust...I don't think its worth it.

Here are some more pics. The rust is indeed real bad. Share some opinions, thoughts, and even suggestions. He HAS to sell this by sunday this weekend, so I might get this for bottom dollar and take it for parts/sell parts.

driver side frame rail...yikes

frame rail again

i saw this rust forming too

wheel well

interior

yikeesss
Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
chi-townS13

well that is some pretty bad rust indeed. I dont believe you would have to go as far as purchasing a car from the u.s especially now that the Canadian dollar is about 85 cent compared to our dollar. From what I see you well need about $500-$700 in parts including the driver frame rail and repairing those wells.In the end I think you well find that it would be way cheaper buying this car if it's at a decent price and fixing instead of purchasing a whole whack of cars. I mean if hes asking $5,000 then no way.. and I can see that and I wouldn't go any higher then $3000. Because I dont know about were you come form but here stumbling upon a s14 chassis for cheap is uncommon. Also I was noticing that the picture... driver frame rail..yikes and frame rail again are the exact same spot just one is a close up. So you replace the driver frame rail and wells what else do you need to do? doesn't seem like much work to me. I know for a fact that you can order these parts through Nissan as I have needed to do this before.

How I wished I had money to pay for transportation as it is a lot of trouble going through customs and all that.. can you post some more pics? How much does he want for it?

Also you may be able to cheat him out of the car and get it for bottom dollar however he might not be as dumb as you may think especially if he is claiming to work at Nissan . Also providing a "FAT_STACK" of receipts worth over $12,000 has to tell you that the car was taking car of and when something went wrong it was clearly being serviced.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out for you man. In my opinion I would go for it see if you can maybe talk him down to getting it for $2300-$2500.. Imagine that getting a s14 for $2500. Now I'm getting ahead of myself...lol. Do you have any pics of the under carriag and the body?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Thanks for reply man, big help.

Well it is local and yes, S14's here are harder than s13's by FAR to come by. He is asking 2,500 and HAS to have it sold by the weekend. I was thinking 2,200 offer. I don't think its "cheating" him out of the car. For the work it needs, I think its pretty fair.The car needs brakes/suspension as well as the breaks felt like garbage and were quite weak. The struts in the rear were blown. I think its a reasonable offer really.

I mean, I am young, and I personally don't know how to weld BUT I have a close friend who does it for a living and I know he would help me out. I am searching alot but so far nothing has come up for replacing these parts on a S14. I might just dive in and try it. Worst comes to Worst I part it out?

pics in next post.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Zacho
Zilvia Member

exterior

under carriage...crappy shot but all I got
Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
sbc
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
sbc is making a name for him/her selfsbc is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know how hard it is to find an s14 in edmonton but seriously this car is a huge project/money pit. If you are willing to do a ton of work and you can have it sitting around then it would be ok for around $2000. If you plan on buying this thing to daily it and do work on the weekends I bet you'll be regretting this thing in a hurry. Just my .02.
sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
chi-townS13

well I agree with you there if he is asking for $2500, $2200 is a reasonable offer indeed. I mean you well never know what the end result well be unless you try... and yea I can imagine if you wanted to part it out it would go quick and you would at least make your money back and maybe a little extra.. also the body seems to be in good condition. All the power to you my friend especially if you know someone who can help you out with the welding... Good luck and keep the post up want to see if you take it and what your plans well be... My s13 is treating my quiet well but after all this s14 talk I am starting to do a search as well for a fixer up like that... something I can do this winter... I have searched every were and I cant find one.. although there is one here in new york as that is were I go to school but yet I have nowhere to keep this winter... gotta move back home into a house with garage...lol best of luck to you.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Thanks for great replies again guys. He called me today, said 2000$.

And yes, of course as far as having it as a daily is definitely out of the question. I have all winter/spring to at least drop a new motor in/fix rust. I know starting with a cleaner car will be a better option, but I'm always down for learning something new. But what it comes down to is the time+money vs. things learned and finished product. Tough choice.

It's just a tough decision because it's not like I have a huge background of doing this kind of stuff. I would be continuing the research and learning as I go doing my best to do it right the first time. I would go out and buy a good set of impact sockets and some other new tools if I got this car.

For the price, this sure is real tempting.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
CoreyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
CoreyS13 is on the path to ruinCoreyS13 is on the path to ruinCoreyS13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Walk, wait no RUN away as fast as you can. Find something cleaner, go south.
CoreyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS13 View Post
Walk, wait no RUN away as fast as you can. Find something cleaner, go south.

really, the cheapest s14 Ive found in my area is 4500, auto. I picked it up, found alot of rust, the paint is bubbling.

I just soaked the rust in mixed candlewax and bar/chain oil till next summer.

Average S14 thats a decent clean 5speed is 6-7k in the northern midwest.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
chi-townS13

It's so true. It's really hard to find a s14 in good shape to use just as a project car.. I say go for it..just like bigsyke said they do get pretty expensive and even at those prices your not guaranteed mint condition...at $2000 you well put in way less money to get it to be a nice decent car then to go out and buy a $4500 beater that's only in a little better shape.. And your right you well have to go out and buy some new tools but hey new tools never hurt anybody.... good luck....