Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
s13_Angelo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
s13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
should i turbo my ka dohc

i bought this turbo it doesnt have no shaft play at all can i do something with it,what kind of manifold do i need to buy i dont know the specs of the turbo i only know is a garret t3 from mercedes
i was thinking of buying a RB but i think im gonna play with the k for a while if it cost less than 1000 to turbo it ,

s13_Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
((sr)) kelly
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
id get a diff turbo
((sr)) kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
s13_Angelo
Zilvia Junkie

s13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura abouts13_Angelo has a spectacular aura about
how come????????
Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
((sr)) kelly
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
internal wastegate
((sr)) kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
s13_Angelo
Zilvia Junkie

dont get it but thanks anyways
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Unholy S14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (-3)
Unholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfectionUnholy S14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: -3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Unholy S14
i dont wanna sound like an ass but you shouldnt do it on your experience alone.

go to ka-t.org and read all the faqs and get educated first.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
Should I turbo my ka dohc?
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
1five10
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection1five10 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hell yeah. Turbo that KA...
[IMG][IMG]
1five10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
s13_Angelo
Zilvia Junkie

wowwwwwwwwwwww but can i use this turbo
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_Angelo View Post
wowwwwwwwwwwww but can i use this turbo
Do you even know what a wastegate is?

Buy a book. Read it. Then come back.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
buy an sr20det it will cost 1800 dollars with a trans and it a direct bolt in or sell the turbo and put that money towards you rb build
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"

at the very minimum read that.

i would recommend you don't go rb, it seems like it would be more than you could handle at this point.
coreansurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
ak_slick
Leaky Injector

ak_slick will become famous soon enoughak_slick will become famous soon enoughak_slick will become famous soon enoughak_slick will become famous soon enoughak_slick will become famous soon enough
Read up on ka-t.org They have an excellent site and should be used at elast as a reference.

You should also go and buy a book called "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell
It is very good, despite seeming old, technology hasn't really changed in the principles. It will get you one your feet and is definitely worth the 15$ if even only for some of the pictures.

That turbo off the Mercedes... that will be a fun one to figure out. I used to have a book that told you how to measure everything to figure out the trim and all. But I can't remember it now and I have no clue what turbo would come on a Mercedes. I will guess that is a T3 just from looks though. You will have to learn a lot and do some math to figure out what that turbo's specs are or send it to a reputable shop.

Good Luck. Seriously get the book though.
ak_slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ((sr)) kelly View Post
internal wastegate

It doesn't matter if it has an internal wastegate. You can always buy a flange to block it off and use an external one. That's what I did with my piece of shit turbo when I had a KA-T.

to the O.P.
I had a turbo KA and wasn't happy with it. But a lot of people are happy with it. If it was my decision I'd swap something else in. Maybe a CA, SR, RB or something else. If you want a turbo on the cheap KA-T isn't always the cheapest option so look around. Figure out what you're going to use your car for and choose an engine/ parts to match.
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #15
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Just buy a manifold, bolt it to your engine, and youre good to go.

Who cares about everything else...?
Be cool, turbo your car!
Instant cool points plus your car is an instant dick magnet.

Just don't come back crying because you don't know whats wrong with it or you don't know exactly how you are supposed to do everything...
Even though there are threads that tell you just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
spacedog
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
spacedog is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to spacedog
definately do some research and a lot of reading before making any decisions. like the other guys said, ka-t.org is a great reference. there's so much more involved in this than just a turbo you happened to pick up.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote