Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Blade81

Trader Rating: (0)
Blade81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Tach doesnt work

Like the title says i have a redtop SR in my 92 fastback and my problem is that my tach doesnt work. My tach worked before i did the swap but the minute i finished the swap my tach stopped working. The tach has power to it because when i turn the car on the tach needle jumps and then dies. Ive checked the wire to ECU and thats fine, ive even made sure everything is plugged in properly, and i tried putting a new ignitor in and thats not it either. I have no idea what the problem is and im willing to take any suggestions. I have a DOHC guage cluster because its a 92. Every thread Ive seen about tach problems was because they had an SOHC guage cluster so i know thats not my issue. Ive searched everywhere and i cant seem to find out what is causing my tach not to work.
Blade81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
fcdrifter20
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
fcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
if it jumps than dies, most liky just a faulty tak
fcdrifter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Blade81

yea but it was working before i did the swap though thats what i dont get
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
You have it hooked up correctly? Isn't it red/yellow to red/yellow? I don't have an SR, so I don't know. But you've checked and it's FOR SURE right?
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Blade81

yea ive checked and its working. its got power to it and everything so im kind of stumped on what it may be.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
That is strange. Have you tried borrowing a friend's cluster to see if it works?
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Blade81

no i havent cuz i dont really know anyone who has a 240 like mine. the only one i know that has the same 240 as i do would never take his apart to let me try cuz its pride and joy lol
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Jordan-S13-Silvia
Zilvia Member

Jordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the rough
I think if it has or is getting power to the tack and the needles are jumping then you should look on the back of the cluster for any burn marks on the film. The copper film may have been shorted out thus burning an area in that film on the back of your guage cluster.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Blade81

ok and if that is the problem then how do i fix it?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Jordan-S13-Silvia
Zilvia Member

Jordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the roughJordan-S13-Silvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade81 View Post
ok and if that is the problem then how do i fix it?
All you have to do to fix it if thats the problem is replace the back film part with another film from a spare s13 DOHC cluster from a KA24DE. I did this when i messed up my S13 JDM cluster it had the same symptoms as yours it would get power for a second then the needles would jump and go back down. Then i notice ther was a burn mark on the back of the film so I swapped out the back film and its worked ever since.

All thats needed to take off the film is to disconnect the three harness plugs, dissconect all lightbulbs then unscrew all neccesary screws.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Blade81

alright i might give that a try. now whether or not i want to take the time and take the dash apart is a different story. ive done it once before and hated it but if thats the problem then i might have to give it a try. thanks for the help though. if anyone else knows of something different that could be wrong please tell me im willing to do anything to fix this.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
Jordan-S13-Silvia
Zilvia Member

No problem man i hope you find it soon.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
Blade81

bump for maybe more possibilities
Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
Blade81

there has to be some other possible reason why my tach doesnt work.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I'm guessing you have it hooked up wrong. The tach itself gets one wire (yellow w/red stripe) from the 'gauge cluster' part of the SR engine harness. The cluster gets power, not the tach.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
did you figure it out because non of my cluster works and im trying to figure it out but i have a single cam

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Fonix36 is offline   Reply With Quote