Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
ghost

Trader Rating: (0)
ghost is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
350 carburated into an s13

Alright, so I know people do the ls1 etc swaps into their s13s. But I want to know about sticking a carb'd small block into my car. Since there is no need for a computer, what do i do about all my wiring? how do i keep my speed sensors etc all working? I dont mind if i have to get an after market cluster to accommodate for it. What would you recommend? Im trying to do research on it but im not finding carb'd v8s
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Jimmy Up
Zilvia.net GB Vendor

Trader Rating: (52)
Jimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
Just look up the wiring diagram on a 69 camaro, you wouldnt have much wiring to deal with.- This is something that I have been wanting to do for a while. It would rip for sure muncie 4 speed or a newer 5 or 6 speed?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
ghost

Well I dont mean the wiring for the engine because there really isnt any other then a positive wire to the distributor. But I mean for the sake of all my interior lights, tachometer, speedometer, temperature etc. How do I keep use of all them? Or will I be tearing apart my dash to rewire everything?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
it would probably be easiest to get an aftermarket gauge setup (water temp, speedometer, fuel level, tachometer, + any other accessory gauges you want) because they would all come with their own sensor. This way you can eliminate a lot of wires for the stock gauge cluster and just run the few you need for the aftermarket ones you buy. Plus it will look all hot rod and junk with a sheetmetal gauge cluster
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Jimmy Up
Zilvia.net GB Vendor

Trader Rating: (52)
Jimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfectionJimmy Up is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
I run autometer gauges in my chevelle, and this gentleman^^^ is right. They all have their own sensors and are very straightforward installation wise. Go for it man, if you have experience with sbc's its perfect.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
The problem with your idea, which HAS been done before, is weight. A 350 is fuckin heavy compared to a ls-x. That is the primary reason that anyone does the ls-x swap, on paper it just makes sense. Less weight, more power, TONS of torque, and a lower center of gravity.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
ghost

True enough, but I wouldn't know where to get an LS1 around here. Not exactly a popular thing.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Alright, so I know people do the ls1 etc swaps into their s13s. But I want to know about sticking a carb'd small block into my car.
This is what I have. GenI GM 350 V8. I'm running a third-gen Camaro V8 T5 gearbox.

Quote:
Since there is no need for a computer, what do i do about all my wiring?
Nothing. You only need starter, alternator, ground, ignition, battery, and choke if you have electric choke. Nothing else is needed to run a carb'ed GM V8.

Quote:
how do i keep my speed sensors etc all working?
The VSS goes with the gearbox. You can get any universal speedo to work with a T5 VSS.

Quote:
I dont mind if i have to get an after market cluster to accommodate for it. What would you recommend?
It depends on what you want to monitor. You literally only need speedo to be street legal, as well as turn signal and high beam indicator. You can drive the car without the rest.

You can go fancy if you want. There are a lot of aftermarket gauges.

Quote:
Im trying to do research on it but im not finding carb'd v8s
I got all the info you need. What do you want to know?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
But I mean for the sake of all my interior lights, tachometer, speedometer, temperature etc. How do I keep use of all them? Or will I be tearing apart my dash to rewire everything?
Interior lights work as normal.

OEM tach will not work.

OEM speedo will not work unless mated to a correct generation KA or SR gearbox.

OEM temp gauge will work if you mount the KA/SR temp sensor or equivalent in the V8.

Custom wiring will be required at least to move the connectors to where they need to be.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
The problem with your idea, which HAS been done before, is weight. A 350 is fuckin heavy compared to a ls-x. That is the primary reason that anyone does the ls-x swap, on paper it just makes sense. Less weight, more power, TONS of torque, and a lower center of gravity.
I prefer a cast iron block and cheap components. Plus my engine mounts place the engine much lower and further back than any kit on the market.

Keep in mind that LSX = LS Extreme according to GM if you want to be technical. That would be the only LS I would get.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
Ahhh Virginians, keepin' on the keepin' on since 1969
great advice, i'm learning something new everyday.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
The 350 would DEFINITELY be a LOT cheaper. I was just using the x to substitute for 1,6,7, etc.... I would like to do the swap carb legally if I ever do it so I think I would have to use a GTO motor as it is the only one that would have a carb legal intake that I might be able to use.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

That setup in a pre85 S12 would be legal.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 AM   #14
ghost

Ive got alot to ask. Do you have msn?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Do you have msn?
No. Just post all of your questions here so others can help as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
ghost

Do you have any pictures of your wiring for the starter, alternator etc?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Check the V8 FAQ thread. Lots of good info in there: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showpost.php...&postcount=350

I have just the basic to get the car to run: one wire alternator, starter, e-choke, grounds, HEI, spark plugs of course, and that's it.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
The 350 would DEFINITELY be a LOT cheaper. I was just using the x to substitute for 1,6,7, etc.... I would like to do the swap carb legally if I ever do it so I think I would have to use a GTO motor as it is the only one that would have a carb legal intake that I might be able to use.
Actually there are 2 LSx motors that came with GTO. LS1 in 04 and LS2 in 05/06.
You want LS1, its cable driven throttle body and not DriveByWire shit that I have to deal with.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
mugendork
Zilvia Junkie

mugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

I am a big fan of swapping in the 350, or better yet a high revving built 327....The power potential is amazing, and for only a grand or so, you can run aluminum heads and take off 60-75 pounds off the top end of the motor and gain nearly 70-100 hp with the proper cam and tuning. My last conversion was in my 914...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs79VZSm9Lw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHsA0EuYzk[/ame]

that car was suicidal, 1900 pound dry weight with glass deck lids and completely gutted.

Can someone post up some pics of a carbed SBC in an s13-14?

Last edited by mugendork; 03-31-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: imbed error..
mugendork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
Actually there are 2 LSx motors that came with GTO. LS1 in 04 and LS2 in 05/06.
You want LS1, its cable driven throttle body and not DriveByWire shit that I have to deal with.
Ya I DEFINITELY don't want the gay ass e-throttle. I fucking hate it when a computer has to decide weasther or not my inputs are valid! Fuck every single electronic "safety" system other than ABS.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
fellfrosch7

fellfrosch7 is an unknown quantity at this point
you can always do an lsx block and convert to a carbed setup

but at that point you might as well go efi
fellfrosch7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Any RWD GM small block V8 can be converted to fuel injection or carb. They make kits that can run each different engine on any fuel system.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Quote:
Ya I DEFINITELY don't want the gay ass e-throttle. I fucking hate it when a computer has to decide weasther or not my inputs are valid! Fuck every single electronic "safety" system other than ABS.
Actually I think it has to do more with idle control than safety. But yeah, we'll see how it goes on my swap.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote