Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Mattlanta can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR What boost controller to get???

Hi guys, I have an S14 SR with basically everything stock. I want to up the boost now and I think I should be safe for 10-12psi no problem based on everything I have read.

What boost controller would you guys suggest? I've been looking at the Greddy Profec B II since I hear a lot of good things...reliable with good boost control and it's reasonably priced especially on e-bay. What do you all think?
Mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
MavericStephenc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
MavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MavericStephenc
I have about the same setup and I just ordered the hks one (version 6)

apexi is awesome too.

profec is nice because you can tune e-manage with it.

Boycott Berkeley and code pink
MavericStephenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
BoostinGST
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
BoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stock turbo at only 10-12psi, just get a manual boost controller... your better off getting a vlsd and a manual than an electronic if your not going to be making a whole lot of power.

if you plan on being "future ready" get an apexi avc-r, they are awesome and can be had for around $250 used.

as for the profec, isnt it just the profec E that you can tune with the e-manage??? just a personal opinion but i think the avc-r is a better buy.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
180sx_Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection
jus get an adjustable actuator and call it a day.

180sx_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
EBC's have the advantage of keeping the wastegate completely closed until it's time to open, which can help big turbos spool (instead of adjustable actuators, which open gradually).

That being said, adjustable actuator is much simpler, and more reliable.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinGST View Post
stock turbo at only 10-12psi, just get a manual boost controller... your better off getting a vlsd and a manual than an electronic if your not going to be making a whole lot of power.

if you plan on being "future ready" get an apexi avc-r, they are awesome and can be had for around $250 used.

as for the profec, isnt it just the profec E that you can tune with the e-manage??? just a personal opinion but i think the avc-r is a better buy.
Well I appreciate all of your opinions! I definitely want to be 'future ready' because I will not be stopping with a stock S14 SR and 12psi!!! I think you are correct about the Profec E-01 being the only one that would help with tuning, and eventually I'll get a standalone so I'm not interested in spending twice as much for the E-01 now. As for the vlsd, I already have everything on the car DONE except the engine tranny. It's the last thing! I prefer not to use a manual controller because I know I will be upgrading my setup in stages and I'm thinking it's just too unreliable. Shoot, even temp change will mess up an MBC and from mid-day to night/morning here in ATL there is like a 35 degree change!!!

So, any more feedback/suggestions? THANKS!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
EBC's have the advantage of keeping the wastegate completely closed until it's time to open, which can help big turbos spool (instead of adjustable actuators, which open gradually).

That being said, adjustable actuator is much simpler, and more reliable.
Yes, I was thinking about that too. For an extra $180 over the wastegate actuator, I'd get quicker spool, more control for creep, spiking, and fall off, and the other fancy toys like peak hold and warnings, etc. Don't you think that is worth it? I'm not sure myself, but that's what I'm thinking and exactly why I made this post! The feedback is really helping me think about the options!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Internal wastegates are crap once you get above a GT28 - some people even think they're crap for a T28. Once you go bigger, you might want a great boost controller because your wastegate will actually work well enough to warrant it... with an internal gate, I'm very under-impressed with the performance of most boost controllers and stick with the HKS adjustable actuator.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote