Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
CrappyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
CrappyS13 is making a name for him/her selfCrappyS13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STS Turbo set up

H ave you guys heard of STS? apparently its a moe effective way to turbo your car, instead of turboing off the exhasut manifold, they run it fron the back of the car near the muffler with hella long ic pipes, they say it runs cooler and with an intercooler it has huge gains. STS also claims less turbo lag because the temp is significantly less being that the ic pipe runs under the car for a long distance. I also heard they are patented too.

Anyone know about this?

I think it wouidl be cool to see someone fab it together.

www.ststurbo.com

widebody and uhm...the other stuff is secret. not really though
CrappyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yes I was writing letters to the company back when I wanted to turbo my maxima. I think it is better for cars that have no space under the hood. But its also cool for a sleeper. They say you dont even need an intercooler since the ambient air under the car cools the charged air but i think thats only for lower boosts. I wouldnt want to do it on a 240 tho.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
95zilvia
Nissanaholic!

95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light
Never drive in the rain again.
95zilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
CrappyS13
Zilvia Junkie

CrappyS13 is making a name for him/her selfCrappyS13 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95zilvia
Never drive in the rain again.
i gotta agree with you on that one. i noticed they do alot of trucks an camaros and birds and shit...

Old 05-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Just dont know how laggy it would be since ur doing this setup on a 4 banger. I know on the V6s and V8s, theres no lag and you since the pipes acts as an air exchanger, they dont need a fmic to cool the charge air down to a certain amount of boost. A guy I work with got a STS setup in his WS6 and he likes it. Hes planning on running 14 psi eventually when he gets a fmic and go alcohol injection.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
CrappyS13
Zilvia Junkie

but when you think about it, using stock exhasut and manifold nad real cat, it should be alot easier to sppol because the diameter is smaller making it more of a forced charge of air out the exaust to spool that turbo. and i also thoguht in terms of smog, cant you jsut yank your engine management and put a test pipe in the turbo and that would lessen the chances of getting caught with illegal shit suring smog. but you are right i dunno how effective running it on a 4 banger would be...

Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=103748

and flow is gonna suck, going through stock piping.. I wouldn't expect very good gains from it.. even though you can cool the air more, it'll heat up going back against the exhaust and near the engine and the benefits would basically dissappear.

All that tube length will take forever to fill..

You could do it, but WHY? lol
Old 05-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
CrappyS13
Zilvia Junkie

damn...evan jsut a thought

Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Yah, I wasn't hating.. just showing you the thread.
<3 Anthony, and I'm down for wake boarding.. I get done with school after this week so lets do it!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
danger69
Zilvia Member

danger69 is on a distinguished road
Actually there was an article about STS putting their turbo on a Integra Type-R. You can check it out here in pdf.. And as for rain I remember seeing some type of filter cover that doesn't allow water to get into the filter. Or you can always use AEMS bypass valve.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Press/stshcis.pdf
danger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 AM   #11
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
its trippy this is like the 6th time i thought about a certain idea and see it become a reality.
SiI40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
theyve been doin this shit forever, my buddy is currently fabbing a rear turbo setup for his z28.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjstang
theyve been doin this shit forever, my buddy is currently fabbing a rear turbo setup for his z28.
Pics??........
Old 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
ill try to get some tonight, if im at their shop. hes currently installing an external oil pump for the long upward trip back to the oil pan.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
It's called remote mounting, and they're been doing this forever, like mjjstang says. And as is already stated, larger displacement motors can charge the long ass piping fairly quickly, so lag isn't really an issue. No need for intercooling, as the turbo isn't heatsoaking in the engine bay, and the piping can cool off a bit. It's quiet as the turbo acts as the muffler too. There aren't THAT many drawbacks in a large displacement motor setup.

here's a pic. (Note: big ass picture
http://www.automedia2000.com/sts/sts0405A.jpg
Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Heat, however is beneficial to have on the turbine side.. It increases their efficiency.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Well then i don't know why these guys just don't go SC, haha
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 AM   #18
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
that turbo will get knocked off driving down the street in a low ass 240. how many times do we all hit our exhuast piping? imagine catching the turbine....
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #19
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
imagine putting it in a spot where it wouldnt hit the ground... people putting this much into fab work tend to foresee small problems like that and work around them.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have an SRT-10 Ram in my shop with one of the STS kits on it. It has been nothing but problems since day one. In my opinion, all of the benefits of this sort of setup are out-weighed by the drawbacks.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #21
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyotherone
I have an SRT-10 Ram in my shop with one of the STS kits on it. It has been nothing but problems since day one. In my opinion, all of the benefits of this sort of setup are out-weighed by the drawbacks.
Would you care to elaborate on the problems?
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #22
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
We've pretty much had to redesign the oil return and pump system. I believe the other problems were mainly related to fitament... which is almost always an issue with any turbo kit. It just seems to be one thing after another.

Actually, the owner purchased the kit used and previously installed, so that may have something to do with the problems.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote