Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
Hayaiguy808

Trader Rating: (0)
Hayaiguy808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you trade your 98 Kouki for a 91 R32 GTS?

As the title says. Guy offered to trade 91 gts rb20de for my 98 kouki ka24de. Would you guys pull the trigger or are the gts's not worth it?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I don't have a 98.

Sarcasm aside, no.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
kyle1a2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kyle1a2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nope.

msglngth
Old 09-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldn't. They're basically the same chassis with a different body.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a 98 240sx and definitely no
Old 10-03-2020, 01:34 AM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
not even for 2 skylines
Old 10-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Mafia 6
Leaky Injector

Mafia 6 is a well-known jackass
Like tuzzio said, everyone going off emotions to own a skyline. I don’t see it as an upgrade like many people do (comparing to RB swapped s chassis)

I’m with everyone else saying don’t do it as I have a 98’ s14 myself
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia 6 View Post
Like tuzzio said, everyone going off emotions to own a skyline. I don?t see it as an upgrade like many people do (comparing to RB swapped s chassis)

I?m with everyone else saying don?t do it as I have a 98? s14 myself

I wouldnt...i got a 97.

But if were talkn a clean GTR then id probably.....
Old 10-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
0% chance I would ever do that
Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Why downgrade to an older car?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
The hierarchy is like this:

95-98 240sx Original > 95-98 240sx Modified > everything else

look up how many corvettes produced in 1998 then look up how many 240sx produced in the same year

then tell me what an antique collectible vehicle is and where its value truly comes from when they can still be actually road worthy and posses unlimited potential
Old 10-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Depends if u give 2 shits about a 1998 corvette
Old 10-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

No it doesnt. It has nothing to do with corvette.

Look up Corolla instead. Same meaning.

The goal is to understand production number and application range, not the type of vehicle.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
S14rebuild
BANNED

I would say demand means alot....

Wouldnt matter if theres 5 s14s that year, if no one likes them or wants them it means shit
Old 10-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If its clean your 98 s14 is probably worth more than that older non turbo skyline
Old 10-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #16
Hayaiguy808

Hayaiguy808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia 6 View Post
Like tuzzio said, everyone going off emotions to own a skyline. I don?t see it as an upgrade like many people do (comparing to RB swapped s chassis)

I?m with everyone else saying don?t do it as I have a 98? s14 myself
Was definitely going off emotions and the "wow" factor of driving rhd in my area. Safe to say I'm keeping the kouki! Thanks for all the replies
Old 10-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #17
97kouki1J

97kouki1J is an unknown quantity at this point
i live in canada,

over here a 91 gts with a 20de is worth no more than 5-6k canadian

a 98 kouki all original sells for 7k+

i sold a 98kouki, auto with 70k miles on it for 12k cad
Old 10-05-2020, 02:49 AM   #18
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

In 2005 I bought two 1992 Nissan GT-R skylines for 5k each here in the USA

That is and what they will always be worth to me

In 2012 I sold an all original 97' for $9,000

safe to say there is some demand for one of the best RWD multi-application platforms in the world.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #19
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Everyone here is speaking from emotion and not common sense. In my mind, no. I wouldn't. I also have a Silvia S14a and a R32 so I guess I'm lucky to have both. If it were a plain USDM 240SX, that's different.

If you're thinking about a financial investment, then yes. I'd make that deal 100 times over. The R-chassis pricing is skyrocketing even with the market being flooded regardless of what shit engine is in the bay. If it's a good example of the chassis, definitely go for it. Spend a little money and swap it and spruce it up and it is worth twice as much as the S14 is without even worrying about it. Also, my R32 is probably the cleanest chassis I own. I for some reason cannot find a spec of rust on the thing despite it's age. My Silvia is 5 years newer and I needed to repair the pinch welds.

Also, the R32 is a S13 essentially on the suspension standpoint with a few differences. I've converted my rear end to S14 with a Z33 axle/diff setup and my front end to S13. Kind of a Frankenstein of sorts but it's the best of all worlds. Plus the stupid shit JDM kid inside of you can drive around on the wrong side and get super pumped.

Long story short with actual factual backing, yes. I'd do it. But understand the motor has to go.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #20
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
In 2005 I bought two 1992 Nissan GT-R skylines for 5k each here in the USA

That is and what they will always be worth to me

In 2012 I sold an all original 97' for $9,000

safe to say there is some demand for one of the best RWD multi-application platforms in the world.
Imagine living in a world where someone has the mindset that a GT-R is worth less than a rotted S-chassis and then referring them to as a RWD application.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #21
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Imagine living in a world where someone has the mindset that a GT-R is worth less than a rotted S-chassis and then referring them to as a RWD application.

Between 2002 and 2008 I helped repair and sell around 40x GT-R skylines, all models. Most of them weren't worth nearly what people would pay. And almost all of the R32's were converted to RWD for various reasons...

So yeah I think of old GT-R as a RWD application, I can't remember a single one leaving as a AWD if it drove straight like a car should

In my mind, this isn't a skyline vs 240sx debate. To me they are almost the same car. I don't really care what you call it, one is just heavier. Instead, after experiencing so many SMH skylines, my knee jerk reaction is that most of them are beaten to death, even by 2008 they were all torn up, needed massive work. When compared to a car like an Original 97 automatic 240sx... the 240 wins simply in the "get in and go daily drive the antique without having to work on it and source expensive parts and time" department, which to me (all I care about is reliability and daily drivers atm) is everything.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #22
S14rebuild
BANNED

1989 vs 1998 debate on wear and tear, mileage and abuse is halirous
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
1989 vs 1998 debate on wear and tear, mileage and abuse is halirous

I've seen 95 240sx with 240,000 miles in better shape and with more life than 1992 GT-R with 140,000km.
That is a fair year range comparison. I Like how you chose the farthest disparaging years....

Its not the mileage. And to some extent its not even the abuse. Its more that the GT-R has tenuous mechanical parts... there is so much more going on in the mid and rear section of that car. Its kind of a mess. And the maintenance is exacerbated by those additional components, and seems like it is missed by people who expect to sell the car soon. "GT-R is meant to be sold and 240sx is meant to be owned" Mentality. And also there are so many 'JDM' originated modifications that are made before we get the car, that we may have no knowledge of from previous owners.

Even if a 240 has been neglected, it doesn't make a fuck of difference because in capable hands the parts are cheap, available, and engines plentiful assortment. The 240 is still extremely valuable since the value is in the chassis, not the drivetrain. The value is in the potential to be anything. KA engine and 5-speed isn't worth a mcdonalds cheeseburger to me.
Whereas a skyline with an RB20 or a neglected RBanything is going to be difficult and expensive to restore quickly or make something out of it. Even if the hands are capable there are additional costs associated with that car to make it a reliable performer. You are paying extra for the drivetrain it comes with and 9/10 it all needs a rebuild/replacement anyways, and there is no varied assortment to choose from, as few/none would put a sr20, 2jz or V8 into a skyline.

Skyline has a very specific set of purpose and a very specific engine and skill set requirement. It force feeds the owner it's short comings and advantages with no reprieve.
240sx is like having a blank canvas, that is why the original species are worth more than modified versions, if not in $$ then simply in potential and desirability to those willing to work for it's culmination completion, a final product which can be almost anything, any application, and anybody can own it i.e. novice or professionals can quickly build something reliable and affordable.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #24
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
I've seen 95 240sx with 240,000 miles in better shape and with more life than 1992 GT-R with 140,000km.
That is a fair year range comparison. I Like how you chose the farthest disparaging years....

Its not the mileage. And to some extent its not even the abuse. Its more that the GT-R has tenuous mechanical parts... there is so much more going on in the mid and rear section of that car. Its kind of a mess. And the maintenance is exacerbated by those additional components, and seems like it is missed by people who expect to sell the car soon. "GT-R is meant to be sold and 240sx is meant to be owned" Mentality. And also there are so many 'JDM' originated modifications that are made before we get the car, that we may have no knowledge of from previous owners.

Even if a 240 has been neglected, it doesn't make a fuck of difference because in capable hands the parts are cheap, available, and engines plentiful assortment. The 240 is still extremely valuable since the value is in the chassis, not the drivetrain. The value is in the potential to be anything. KA engine and 5-speed isn't worth a mcdonalds cheeseburger to me.
Whereas a skyline with an RB20 or a neglected RBanything is going to be difficult and expensive to restore quickly or make something out of it. Even if the hands are capable there are additional costs associated with that car to make it a reliable performer. You are paying extra for the drivetrain it comes with and 9/10 it all needs a rebuild/replacement anyways, and there is no varied assortment to choose from, as few/none would put a sr20, 2jz or V8 into a skyline.

Skyline has a very specific set of purpose and a very specific engine and skill set requirement. It force feeds the owner it's short comings and advantages with no reprieve.
240sx is like having a blank canvas, that is why the original species are worth more than modified versions, if not in $$ then simply in potential and desirability to those willing to work for it's culmination completion, a final product which can be almost anything, any application, and anybody can own it i.e. novice or professionals can quickly build something reliable and affordable.

You argue the dumbest points....your drag on statement isnt needed, nor do i need you to "convince me otherwise"

Literly sayn a r32 from 1989 wont equal a 1998 240sx. Just by age alone.....

But sure go ahead and type a novel..someone here will take the time to read it all...i wont
Old 10-06-2020, 03:24 AM   #25
d1zguy2

d1zguy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
You argue the dumbest points....your drag on statement isnt needed, nor do i need you to "convince me otherwise"

Literly sayn a r32 from 1989 wont equal a 1998 240sx. Just by age alone.....

But sure go ahead and type a novel..someone here will take the time to read it all...i wont
I read it, he makes 100% sense to me. A guy offered me to trade his R32 GTS-T coupe, for my 93 Silvia K's. I don't really care for Skylines or RB20DET's. So was an easy no. Also, IDGAF about real GTR's, don't care for their AWD, if I wanted a GOOD 4WD car i'd just get a subaru STI, audi RS/S something or a Tesla. Also, that particular car in 5 minutes of looking it over i'd have to spend 5k in parts to get it reliable and where I would want it for less power too and flexibility.

Another thing I've noticed is that kids (18-early 20 year olds) don't even know what a S13 or S14 are (I go to some high end car meets and they always come up and say the silvia was their favourite car despite being parked next to a lamborghini aventador with 1200 HP and two turbos out the back), I see a massive hike in prices once these youngings start making real $$$$$ and buy ours for crazy money since there isn't anything out there that is as easy, flexible, and unique, wether its new or old. People into the Skyline's are usually old farts with $$$ to burn to feed their initial D or too broke when young nostalgia buys.

That said the only skyline I'd buy would be a R34 GTS-T with a new GREDDY or HKS 2.8 liter stroker long block, GTR VSPEC NUR II interior and exterior in the pearlesaant purple or blue and fully restored for 60k over a tired and beat down used one for 15k less. Sky gallery in Thailand restores them and builds them to that spec. They did restore a real GTR R34 but their asking 180k for it. F that. Once they become legal in USA i bet they will be asking 6 figures for a USED beat up one. At those prices even with Thailands 300% taxes on imported cars make the R34 a better buy than one already in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfDR9o67Rc
Old 10-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #26
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1zguy2 View Post
I read it, he makes 100% sense to me. A guy offered me to trade his R32 GTS-T coupe, for my 93 Silvia K's. I don't really care for Skylines or RB20DET's. So was an easy no. Also, IDGAF about real GTR's, don't care for their AWD, if I wanted a GOOD 4WD car i'd just get a subaru STI, audi RS/S something or a Tesla. Also, that particular car in 5 minutes of looking it over i'd have to spend 5k in parts to get it reliable and where I would want it for less power too and flexibility.

Another thing I've noticed is that kids (18-early 20 year olds) don't even know what a S13 or S14 are (I go to some high end car meets and they always come up and say the silvia was their favourite car despite being parked next to a lamborghini aventador with 1200 HP and two turbos out the back), I see a massive hike in prices once these youngings start making real $$$$$ and buy ours for crazy money since there isn't anything out there that is as easy, flexible, and unique, wether its new or old. People into the Skyline's are usually old farts with $$$ to burn to feed their initial D or too broke when young nostalgia buys.

That said the only skyline I'd buy would be a R34 GTS-T with a new GREDDY or HKS 2.8 liter stroker long block, GTR VSPEC NUR II interior and exterior in the pearlesaant purple or blue and fully restored for 60k over a tired and beat down used one for 15k less. Sky gallery in Thailand restores them and builds them to that spec. They did restore a real GTR R34 but their asking 180k for it. F that. Once they become legal in USA i bet they will be asking 6 figures for a USED beat up one. At those prices even with Thailands 300% taxes on imported cars make the R34 a better buy than one already in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfDR9o67Rc
Says he'd get a good AWD car and then lists two that are absolute ass and one that costs something unrealistic. This is where I stopped reading.

Then during typing this, I read the stupid shit about a R34 with a stroker in it. Calls it by some generic ass color and claims a place in Thailand will restore it real nice using nothing but the finest OEM parts.

Dude, shut the fuck up.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #27
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
if I wanted a GOOD 4WD car i'd just get a subaru STI
That's one of the most facepalm/hilarious statements I've ever read. Every Subaru built in the last 10-15 years is pure garbage, besides the BRZ. I have hope for the new chassis, but I'm not holding my breath.

GT-R's are excellent AWD cars, they just need fixing since they're 20+ years old.

To answer the OP's question, hell no. A nice '98 Kouki is going to be worth a premium here soon, as are all these '90's Nissan chassis. Skylines will come down in price, Z32s will go up, and S-chassis' are going to become very valuable because they've made an impression on so many people. Don't be the guy that's talking about his '69 charger he bought for $500 back in the day and wished he would have kept.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #28
d1zguy2

d1zguy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Says he'd get a good AWD car and then lists two that are absolute ass and one that costs something unrealistic. This is where I stopped reading.

Then during typing this, I read the stupid shit about a R34 with a stroker in it. Calls it by some generic ass color and claims a place in Thailand will restore it real nice using nothing but the finest OEM parts.

Dude, shut the fuck up.
LMAO! Thanks for the laughs. Didn't expect much from the OG Silvia community and I was proven right. Your ignorance and close mindedness is apparent. Guess anyone that has a different opinion than yours should shut the fuck up then. You must be a joy to be around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
That's one of the most facepalm/hilarious statements I've ever read. Every Subaru built in the last 10-15 years is pure garbage, besides the BRZ. I have hope for the new chassis, but I'm not holding my breath.

GT-R's are excellent AWD cars, they just need fixing since they're 20+ years old.

To answer the OP's question, hell no. A nice '98 Kouki is going to be worth a premium here soon, as are all these '90's Nissan chassis. Skylines will come down in price, Z32s will go up, and S-chassis' are going to become very valuable because they've made an impression on so many people. Don't be the guy that's talking about his '69 charger he bought for $500 back in the day and wished he would have kept.
GTR's are excellent AWD cars but for the money they will be asking for they are not. Honestly, I'll never own a AWD sports car and if I do it will just be a Tesla model 3 to daily in.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #29
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
LMAO! Thanks for the laughs. Didn't expect much from the OG Silvia community and I was proven right. Your ignorance and close mindedness is apparent. Guess anyone that has a different opinion than yours should shut the fuck up then. You must be a joy to be around...

This guys 16 posts in and making new friends! Nice!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #30
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
HARD NO.