Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Jacobkononiuk

Trader Rating: (0)
Jacobkononiuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det ringing/grinding noise

hey guys, my apologies for creating a new thread, I'm quite new to this and couldn't find any already existing threads relating to the issue that I'm having.

I've got a bone stock 94' s14 s1 with a blacktop sr20det. the other day, I changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs. upon doing this, there were no noises coming from the car.

When I started the car after the service, I could somewhat hear a grinding noise coming from the engine. Its not overly loud, barley noticeable from the cabin but with the hood popped and the boys having a closer listen it was definitely identifiable.

The funny thing is, it ONLY appears when IN any GEAR! it dissapears in neutral. The clutch feels as it should, there has been no issues with the car for over 10,000km.

I've had various opinions such as; timing chain/tensioners, the oil being too thin or throw out bearing.

any help would be appreciated!

p.s. we used 10w50 full synthetic oil and NKG BKR7E spark plugs. all went in smoothly.
Jacobkononiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Does the grinding go away when you push the clutch pedal in?
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Jacobkononiuk

Jacobkononiuk is an unknown quantity at this point
if in neutral with clutch or engaged or disengaged, the noise doesnt appear. but in gear with clutch engaged and while driving it does.
Jacobkononiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Hmm.. In my old car in neutral it would make a crazy noise but when I disengaged the clutch (pressing on the foot lever) the sound disappeared. And in my case it was the throw-out bearing. So it sounds like that is not the case for you.
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Throwout bearing gone bad maybe?
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobkononiuk View Post
if in neutral with clutch or engaged or disengaged, the noise doesnt appear. but in gear with clutch engaged and while driving it does.
center carrier bearing? possibly one of the springs on the clutch disc has come loose?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do you have a clutch fan?
Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
so wait. Can you confirm that
if you push the clutch in with trans neutral, no noise
put the gear selector into 1st with clutch still held down, suddenly there is now noise?
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote