Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #13321
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
How long would the ringlands last at that time of whp?

I've always wanted an STI but the ringland issue has kinda scared me away. I have settled on picking up a Q50 next year when my bonus comes.

430whp is possible with bolt ons. Sadly auto only.
Hard to say... There's many reports of owners going up to 350whp+ on stock engines within the first 5,000mi and running them issue free up to 80,000+mi (usually going fully built after that for more power). You also see people having ringland issues on stock engines anywhere from the first couple thousand miles to 65,000mi+...

From what I've read, many of the top subi gurus say the ringland issue on OEM stock engines isn't as big as it's made out to be. Kind of like how one negative experience will over shadow hundreds, or more of positive experiences.

They also say that the following should be done to maintain a healthy engine (which is usually not done by many):
  • Change oil every 3,000mi (apparently there's no such thing as too fresh of an oil change in an STI) *Subaru even has the "Subaru Engine Oil System Flush" that they recommend for turbo cars now.
  • Let the car fully idle to operating temp on cold start up (about 4.5-5min)
  • For the first 5-10min drive at 3K RPM, or less for further engine warm up
  • Drive the absolute shit out of it after that

It's also said that you should bring it near redline a couple of times every time you drive. Apparently new/ worried drivers don't bring it up to redline at all which can cause problems. Anyone who's ever driven a stock 2.5L STI knows that the car feels flat at 5.5K RPM and drops at 6K+ RPM, so you normally shift at 5.5K RPM max (redline is 6.7K).

With that said, I made sure that I had at least a 3yr warranty when I bought mine (lol). After that I'm prepared to either get a new OEM shortblock if any failures arise, or go fully built for 400whp like previously mentioned. A built 400whp engine is usually the max for a reliable DD street car.
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #13322
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
id have to agree with this. if you want both chassis and engine, just get the mustang then. more variety is welcome and its nice if nissan could contribute more and avoid much of stigma from the Zupra. I do think the mustang chassis would be great for an infiniti Q60 replacement or similar midsize luxury tourer

now if you?re dead set on badge engineering, the fiesta st and focus st or rs, that would cool. the current sentra and altima suck anways. would be less painful to lose the fiesta st if it were to be resurrected at the new nissan pulsar gtir
Hmmm you read my mind.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #13323
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Go buy a Miata and be done with it then.

Also, the Porsche Boxster of the 70's is the 914. Nice try.
Actually you?re wrong the 718 GTS is an amazing car quicker than a 911. Oh and a 916 was not to be sneezed at.

Nissan could do worse than to Benchmark the new Z against it( Porsche 718) Todays 718s?s are not your grandpappys Boxster/Sypder/Caymen.

Oh and word on the street is the next GT86 is coming with a Turbocharged engine.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #13324
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
Hard to say... There's many reports of owners going up to 350whp+ on stock engines within the first 5,000mi and running them issue free up to 80,000+mi (usually going fully built after that for more power). You also see people having ringland issues on stock engines anywhere from the first couple thousand miles to 65,000mi+...

From what I've read, many of the top subi gurus say the ringland issue on OEM stock engines isn't as big as it's made out to be. Kind of like how one negative experience will over shadow hundreds, or more of positive experiences.

They also say that the following should be done to maintain a healthy engine (which is usually not done by many):
  • Change oil every 3,000mi (apparently there's no such thing as too fresh of an oil change in an STI) *Subaru even has the "Subaru Engine Oil System Flush" that they recommend for turbo cars now.

It's also said that you should bring it near redline a couple of times every time you drive. Apparently new/ worried drivers don't bring it up to redline at all which can cause problems. Anyone who's ever driven a stock 2.5L STI knows that the car feels flat at 5.5K RPM and drops at 6K+ RPM, so you normally shift at 5.5K RPM max (redline is 6.7K).

With that said, I made sure that I had at least a 3yr warranty when I bought mine (lol). After that I'm prepared to either get a new OEM shortblock if any failures arise, or go fully built for 400whp like previously mentioned. A built 400whp engine is usually the max for a reliable DD street car.

That seems like kind of a lot for the average person.

I mean without prior knowledge I would also not rev a car past the point it is making power.

My own research also suggests to get rid of the UEL as it tends to heat two cylinders more than the others.

Any truth to that?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #13325
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
I love that they finally brought in the S30's best qualities in the rear quarter panel and long hood. Wouldn't mind those wheels either. My preference is hoping it would be a 2+2, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I don't hear a turbo-spool during that start-up/rev sequence though.
How many production turbo cars have super audible turbo noises? Also there's not much spooling to be had on startup. It sounds exactly like a stock exhaust turbo engine to me.

SRT-4 bov noise doesn't count lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #13326
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
That seems like kind of a lot for the average person.
Meh, for me it's just normal when dealing with performance cars/ motorcycles. Some people only give it 30sec of idling and then drive under boost until the cars warmed up, but I'm never in that much of a hurry. Changing the oil every 3,000 mi just ensures that you can drive as hard as you want with less worries (before this car I usually did it every 5K mi).

Quote:
I mean without prior knowledge I would also not rev a car past the point it is making power.
The reason for bringing it close to redline once, or twice when driving is to free up possible carbon build up. It's not at all something you should be doing a lot of.

Quote:
My own research also suggests to get rid of the UEL as it tends to heat two cylinders more than the others.

Any truth to that?
I have read that ELH are a lot more efficient than the UEL (especially power gain wise with stage 2+ tuning).

With that said, I don't want to risk voiding my warranty while I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
How many production turbo cars have super audible turbo noises? Also there's not much spooling to be had on startup. It sounds exactly like a stock exhaust turbo engine to me.

SRT-4 bov noise doesn't count lol.
The current gen STI's are pretty much silent. I have a GFB TMS BOV on mine for the noises (only engine mod I have).
Old 09-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #13327
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #13328
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Well I guess the good thing is everyone can see how well my STI adventures go without buying one. lol

I'm a fanboy, but I don't need to lie to kick it. If I experience engine failure you all will be the first to hear it.

So far the first year has been awesome.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #13329
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Well I guess the good thing is everyone can see how well my STI adventures go without buying one. lol

I'm a fanboy, but I don't need to lie to kick it. If I experience engine failure you all will be the first to hear it.

So far the first year has been awesome.
Better get that Christmas list out now...

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #13330
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

I never really understood the vape/ Subaru thing... Seems like that whole image is just associated with the cringe car scene that was going on when vaping became trendy.

Crazy how that trend has effectively changed how people look at WRX/ STI's (even though that image goes "beyond" both of those cars).

I guess it's the same as when you bring up the words "240sx" and people say "Oh, those cheap drifty cars that explode into a million pieces when they hit something at 10mph?".

Also, you posted that meme last year, before Christmas and I'm still good. lol
Old 09-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #13331
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Quote:
I never really understood the vape/ Subaru thing... Seems like that whole image is just associated with the cringe car scene that was going on when vaping became trendy.

Crazy how that trend has effectively changed how people look at WRX/ STI's (even though that image goes "beyond" both of those cars).
It's a stress reliever when you realize your low mileage Sti is burning 2 quarts a week
Old 09-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #13332
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
It's a stress reliever when you realize your low mileage Sti is burning 2 quarts a week
Well shit... Turbo BMW/ Audi's would be the face of vaping if that was the reason.

The whole Subaru oil consumption thing was for 2011-15 Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Crosstrek (2.0L/ 2.5L "NA" engines). Apparently, BMW, Audi and Subaru all claim some oil consumption is perfectly normal.

STI's consuming noticeable amounts of oil is actually pretty uncommon and if you are loosing "1 quart" in "1200mi" (per the manual) you likely have big problem.

With that said, my oil level doesn't move at all between oil changes.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #13333
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Had a 06 sti for 2 years, kept stock, did 4 track events, got 3 speeding tickets and put around 16k miles. didn't have any oil burn issues or any other mechanical issues. I traded it in for an evo only because I liked that more.

I don't think vaping was a thing back then or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #13334
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
GOT YOUR POPCORN READY?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #13335
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
I am cautiously excited.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #13336
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
GOT YOUR POPCORN READY?
I'm already working on what i'm gonna complain about.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #13337
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sRLsIaBoE

its actually good looking...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #13338
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sRLsIaBoE

its actually good looking...

ITS TURBO AND ITS STICK!!!! they show the interiors LCD instrument panel, and clear as day BOOST GAUGE!!!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #13339
SERADAMEL

SERADAMEL is an unknown quantity at this point
SERADAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #13340
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I'm liking it. Interior looks damn good.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #13341
spooled240
Post Whore!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST
Old 09-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #13342
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #13343
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I LOVE IT!!!! I?m in! Seriously.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #13344
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I like it. It's also cool how they did a "live stream" format for a major release.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #13345
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Boy did they style a car for middle aged dudes into euros. Purely visually, I don't regret my purchase.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #13346
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
I don't think vaping was a thing back then or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
The vape/ Subaru meme was created probably sometime in 2014-16. Becoming more popular to regurgitate in the past couple of years.

The WRX was the affordable used turbo charged car at the time and the Hoonigan/ Ken Block Gymkhana movement was in full effect. This lead to the "Doing it Wrong" crowd buying up every WRX and then proceeding to bounce it off the rev limiter in the nearest field they could find. People then surprised pikachu faced when the things blew up from such abuse. Let alone the amount of half assed DIY mods that were put on them + general lack of maintenance. This also happened with the STI if the funds were there.

They were part of the same crowd that enhanced themselves in Hoonigan, Nitro Circus, Monster Energy, Rockstar, Redbull, D.C. and Volcom. Which by default was immediately drawn to the "vape nation" craze going on at the same time.

In just that short time Lemon Lames started associating WRX/ STI's with the above image/ companies instead Hot Version, Best Motoring, Original RUNDUCE, Prodrive, AQUA, ZERO/SPORTS, AUTO PRODUCE BOSS, Varis, Voltex and etc.. Which had been around for a decade, or decades prior.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #13347
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

That interior glow up.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #13348
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Interior and rear end are looking great. I'm not liking that the grill is a straight up rectangle looking at it dead on, but from a quarter view it's a lot better. But yeah wow definitely not disappointed. Any word on price?

Last edited by Dutchmalmiss; 09-15-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Dutchmalmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #13349
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

is it weird that the first thing that popped into my head when i saw the rear was "wow, looks like S14 kouki taillights"? lol

im actually quite pleased that it looks A LOT sleeker and slimmer than the 350 and 370.

also one first MAJOR impression after seeing the car from all sides... wait for it... wait for it...

NO FAKE VENTS EVERYWHERE!!!

i really hope they call it either just "Z" or "300z". the "400z" idea was just stupid. the Z has always been named after its displacement.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #13350
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
Boy did they style a car for middle aged dudes into euros. Purely visually, I don't regret my purchase.
I'll wait until I see one IRL, but I kind of agree.

I'm seeing bits from all of the previous Z's plus Aston Martin.