Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #421
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Unfortunately, no I do not have numbers. Ztuner's brake controller for the dyno is toast. He ordered a new controller, but apparently they didn't have any new ones and failed to notify him of it. So, they offered to rebuild his unit and send it back. What this means is the dyno will be down for a few weeks while they get it sorted.

So for now, I'm aiming to have numbers after the new year. I'll be out of town for two weekends in Dec and with the holidays around the corner, it's just not feasible.

Sunday we are going to meet and start doing some cold start and idle map tuning, along with low speed drive ability, so there is some progress planned, just not what I had hoped for. If I can drive the car and work any bugs out of it until it gets the final tune, I'd be happy with that. It's going to be extremely hard to stay out of boost.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #422
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
So, it seems like schedules and this car aren't destined to meet...

I've been in constant contact with Harry, trying to nail down a date to get the car to him. However, he had to send his brake controller in because Dynojet didn't have any new ones on the shelf and refused to remove one from a new unit to ship to him. They told him this two weeks after he ordered the "new" unit and offered to rebuild his. Unwillingly he removed his and sent it in.

After finding this out, I was a bit distraught, but told him to keep me in the loop and planned to do something after the New Year. At the time, it sucked, but it's what it was and I couldn't change anything. What I could do though was take the car up to him and do some of the basic setup and get the car drivable. He thought it was a great idea and Sunday we did just that. We spent about 4 hrs getting the maps squared away where it was safe to drive it, however we didn't test those changes. At the end of the day, I had a few things I needed to address and then it would be ready for the power pulls. I left Harry around 4:30pm and headed home, stopping for dinner with the Rents.

Once the car was home, I quickly unloaded it, excited to take it out for it's "maiden" voyage around the block. My fiancé has never ridden in this car so there was plenty of excitement for both of us. We hopped in the car, I secured her harness and we started our trip. The car ran, but it did not run as I had expected it too. It was back firing, sputtering and overall, not safe to drive too far. I called it quits after the second "lap" of the neighbor hood and parked it. Frustrated, I knew something was amiss with the motor...

Fast forward two days, I had been doing some fine tuning in the engine management, verifying the IACV was working and getting the car to idle better. The car decided it didn't want to start, so I cranked on it a few times and no response. Great! What is it this time? I decided to pull the plugs and check them out. Prior to us messing with the tune, it ran pig rich and puked black smoke from the exhaust. Well as I had suspected, they were black, covered in fuel and ultimately fouled out. I had another set sitting here already gapped, so I threw them in. Not expecting much, because lets be honest, that's how my luck has been with the car, I cranked her over. Surprisingly, she fired right up and settled into a nice purr. I made my final changes to the tune, car idling at roughly 1000 and 14.5AFR. I felt accomplished, shut her down and washed my hands of it for the evening.

All day Wednesday at work I had been curious to find out if the changes had affected the drivability of the car. I came right home after work, fired her up and went for a cruise. She ran gloriously. The car didn't have a single hiccup, other than still getting use to my Exedy twin disk, that bitch is grabby! I wanted to take her back out that evening, but I found a few oil leaks that needed to be addressed, most concerning was the oil feed to the GTX. I tried to get it fixed before I ran out of time, but I was getting frustrated and just decided to call it quits.

Thursday morning I succeeded in fixing the feed line leak and the smaller weeps at my oil thermo block. I checked over the car again, talked to Harry about the tune and where he wanted to see AFR's in the vacuum/no load portions of the map and adjusted the "auto tune" to the desired AFR's in the specified blocks. I loaded her up with the baked goods my fiancé made and rode out. Once again, not a single issue with the car. It made the 15mile drive flawlessly. After dinner we decided to take the long way home and when all was said and done, I put roughly 50miles on her that day.

I'm BEYOND stoked that after 4yrs and many late nights, the car is finally drivable. Really looking forward to what she can do when it's final run in tune is done. As stated before, I'm hoping to see 500whp on 93 and 600+ on race. Stay tuned, lots more to come.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #423
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
This post started of giving me the feeling 'oh shit' and then...some 'hell yea'

Very cool, must feel great being behind the wheel and listening to her purr. It also must be hard as hell to keep it out of boost! In the grand scheme of things you are very close to making some serious numbers, even with dyno issues.

Anxiously awaiting videos...what else is new.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #424
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Read all that and was awarded with no pictures? Lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #425
818 ZENKI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
818 ZENKI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice man i cant even begin to imagen the feels after starting her up and driving her after all the bugs were worked out. I cant wait to see the final result
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #426
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
This post started of giving me the feeling 'oh shit' and then...some 'hell yea'

Anxiously awaiting videos...what else is new.
Harry is hoping to have the controller back this week, so possibly the 12/13 we'll strap it down. It's all contingent on parts, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Read all that and was awarded with no pictures? Lol
I'll do you one better and get some video of it idling, maybe even throw a rev in there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818 ZENKI View Post
Nice man i cant even begin to imagen the feels after starting her up and driving her after all the bugs were worked out. I cant wait to see the final result
Yeah, it's a good feeling. I've forgotten how the car felt and the sounds it made. Definitely feels good to be back in the saddle.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #427
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Old 11-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #428
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sick !!! Great news

I cant wait to drive my car again after 2 years in the built !

On a dynojet your gona make 500whp for sure
My buddy made 446whp on a mustang dyno with 1/2 of what you have in parts !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #429
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Videos as promised...

http://vimeo.com/113171940
http://vimeo.com/113171938
Old 11-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #430
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Pictures that move and make sound!? Yes!

and I always wondered when people do this head swap, can you guys hear the cams change over like V-tec? Or does it work differently?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #431
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Future depends on the cams and exhaust setup. When it's NA on stock cams you can hear the exhaust kick but not the intake. Upgrade to bigger N1 cams and you can hear them both kick. Turbo+N1 you will hear them kick for sure.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #432
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I'd say because it's forcefed the chances of hearing it over the turbo are pretty slim. Generally you get the audible change from the noise of the engine sucking air into it.

I'm not saying you can't hear it at all, because I don't know, but I'm guessing probably not.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #433
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
No, you can surely hear the changeover with a honking turbo hanging off the manifold

Great work!!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #434
future
Post Whore!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That giant ass turbo would make all the noise
Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #435
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Wait, this thing has VTEC!?!?!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #436
818 ZENKI
Zilvia Member

818 ZENKI is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Wait, this thing has VTEC!?!?!
VVL man VVL none of that honda speak in here
Old 11-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #437
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
Congrats man!!!! That thing is gonna be a beast once you get the power pulls done!!! I can only imagine how great it feels to actually drive it around the neighborhood for the first time after such an intense build. Hopefully I will know this feeling in the coming weeks with mine lol!!
Cameron
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #438
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Pictures that move and make sound!? Yes!

and I always wondered when people do this head swap, can you guys hear the cams change over like V-tec? Or does it work differently?
All depends on the setup. See example below, this one kicks louder than my AP2 LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Zn9tdispg
Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #439
future
Post Whore!

So was that first Crossover the VVL? Then like 2 seconds after the turbo spools with help of the VVL?

OR was the crossover the second part where the turbo spools?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #440
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
JR, what lip spoiler is that you have on the rear?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #441
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
JR, what lip spoiler is that you have on the rear?
It's a Garage Impul spoiler. It was a two piece spoiler originally. The piece you see on my car and another larger piece that stood over it, similar to the R32 GTR spoilers. I've only seen two, S14unimog and mine.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #442
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

yeah i saw that pic in the Zenki thread and it peaked my interest. the car looks immaculate and beautiful. IMO a navan bumper would finish it off proper.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #443
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
yeah i saw that pic in the Zenki thread and it peaked my interest. the car looks immaculate and beautiful. IMO a navan bumper would finish it off proper.
It's far from immaculate, but thanks for the kind words. It's almost 20yr old paint, has small dents and scratches that need to be taken care of, but it does photograph well. I plan on throwing a Navan bumper on when the rest of the body work is taken care of.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #444
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Hey, its all one color, including the sideskirts and rear valance. You're already way ahead of 90% of the other 240's in the greater Tampa Bay area.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #445
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Hey, its all one color, including the sideskirts and rear valance. You're already way ahead of 90% of the other 240's on Zilvia.
Fixed that for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #446
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Hah, yeah. That too.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 AM   #447
PoopCoupe13

Trader Rating: (0)
PoopCoupe13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just finished reading this entire build thread and holy shit. It feels like I've been reading for 4 years haha. Amazingly beautiful car though man, and the build is absolutely amazing. Definitely glad I took the 3+ hours (I'm a slow reader) reading it. I'm in Clearwater if youyouve ever heard of it, and I definitely have to catch a ride in this beast sometime haha. Can't wait to see the dyno numbers either.
PoopCoupe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #448
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Hey, its all one color, including the sideskirts and rear valance. You're already way ahead of 90% of the other 240's in the greater Tampa Bay area.
Well, that is true. I appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
Ah, all these kids and 4 different colored cars... They can do mad skids though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopCoupe13 View Post
I just finished reading this entire build thread and holy shit. It feels like I've been reading for 4 years haha. Amazingly beautiful car though man, and the build is absolutely amazing. Definitely glad I took the 3+ hours (I'm a slow reader) reading it. I'm in Clearwater if youyouve ever heard of it, and I definitely have to catch a ride in this beast sometime haha. Can't wait to see the dyno numbers either.
Thank you sir. Perhaps I will run into you once it's completely tuned and long distance worthy.

I've been putting miles on the car, I'm 300+ miles in and slowly tweaking fuel maps to get into more boost. I've had it up to 11lbs(Wastegate pressure) and so far it pulls hard. I've left the VVL engagement disabled for the time being(infact, I have some wiring changes to make). Rev limit is at 6k right now, it gets there quickly at 11lbs but this turbo and my soul are yearning for more. I talked with the tuner and the dyno has been repaired. When I get back in town after my Christmas break we'll pin down a date for the final tune.

If any of you are looking for some small custom dress-up pieces for your car, please visit http://www.li-customs.com. Mr. Li is a good guy and will take care of you.

As always, thanks for looking and stay tuned.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #449
jons14

jons14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wicked build! Just spent that last couple hours reading the whole thing. Lots of hard work and $$$
jons14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #450
Wheel Lounge
Leaky Injector

Wheel Lounge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wheel Lounge
Amazing! Just spent a ton of time looking through this..
Wheel Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote