Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
it depends what your goals are, low wear or high cornering grip. since he's running r compound race tires, i'd say the latter.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
240 OR DIE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I get great grip in a straightline right now, and its fantastic in a corner, what I need to work on is wieght transfer. I think some sways and stiffen her up a tad more and shell be even faster. And the car absolutley loves a ton of camber up front, turn in is great....I jsut need some new tires , mine are corded
Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^ Follow the path of gsracer?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
well 275 up front is no issue what so ever on an s14, easy peasy, however the rear well.. if he fit 305s in the rear and had stock fenders... i guess to fit 335s you would need say... 30mm fenders? lol get it haha? 335-305 = 30mm lol
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
well 275 up front is no issue what so ever on an s14, easy peasy, however the rear well.. if he fit 305s in the rear and had stock fenders... i guess to fit 335s you would need say... 30mm fenders? lol get it haha? 335-305 = 30mm lol
Except half that width is on the inside so you'd be wrong. It would be 15mm fenders.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
Except half that width is on the inside so you'd be wrong. It would be 15mm fenders.
He probably had no space on the inside to fit 305 on stock fenders.
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
LOL! That's true, got me there haha... i just came home. well technically if the inside was the same (lower offset wheel) then the outside could be made 30mm wider :P
Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey, so I plan on doing a little bit of everything, I have

Fronts
17x9.5 +15
30mm Wide front fenders
Tein Tie Rod spacers

Can I fit a 255/40/17 RT615 Azenis at full lock without frame rail rubbing? I'm already tubbed and hammered, the frame rail/tension rod is the only questionable parts. The tein tie rod spacers add quite a bit of angle.

I'll be using a 275/40/17 Azenis on the rear as well.

-Jackson.Vaughn.Photography-
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If it touches, then perhaps just run a spacer or lower offset wheels?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Guys these are my specs on a stock body with just pulls no body work at all ever performed

Front
18 by 10 + 18

I have ran 265/35/18 and 275/35/18 . Had to hammer the fronts tubs in so they wouldnt rub against the frame, plus i had to pull the front fenders about 10mm. I did one good and the other i messed up cause i was in a hurry. i can go lock to lock even with tein tie rod extenders .

Here you can see the one i messed up

Rears 18 by 11 + 18

Pulled about 30 + mm in total on stock quarters with no paint work.

I ran 285's for a while, the put 295s on and they rubbed so pulled some more then i was able to fit 315 azenis.

Here you can see the 295s rubbing before i pulled some more

After i pulled they didnt rub any more

Heres 315's on the stock body would rub from time to time which is ultimatly why i went wide body. plus they stuck out so much it was looking border line rediculous

295 vs 315 12.4 inch sectional width

Front coilover clearance on tein coils 18by 10 +18 with 265 tire . Rear coilover clearance is about an inch. no pic unfortunatly of the rear.

Heres some other fitmets

Rear i forged

20 by 11 +20 305/25/20

Front te37 19 by 10.5 + 12 285/30/19

I got tons more of pics of all kinds of crazy wheels and tires but i think that gives everyone a good idea of what can and cant be fit. Enjoy

Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
LS240
Zilvia Member

LS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
Well actually assuming both setups maximizing backspace, the difference would be +30 on the outside.

Thanks for the help, especially you gsracer. Those pics give me a pretty good idea. Few questions though: Do you have any rubbing problems with the 285 tires in front? Also, I'm sure tires that wide in front have to increase the scrub radius, does that produce a noticeable increase in steering kickback or effort or any other negative handling effects?

Thanks.
-Layne
LS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #12
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
Front coilover clearance on tein coils 18by 10 +18 with 265 tire . Rear coilover clearance is about an inch. no pic unfortunatly of the rear.
nice, we need more pictures like this

looks like 17x9.5 +18 with 275's should be okay

Which tein coilovers are these?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRas View Post
Which tein coilovers are these?

Tein super drift
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Yea the 285s would have rubbed quite a bit especially in the 19 inch size, forgot to mention that. Not practical at all. 265 in an azenis type tire is all the size an s chassis needs. Steering is definitly heavy and required a cooler to avoid boiling over.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
LS240
Zilvia Member

LS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really nice
Noted, don't go past 265 front. I kinda figured the 285s wouldn't work. By the pictures it just didn't look right.

The only reason I wanna go with such wide tires in the first place is to put the power down effectively. As you might be able to tell from my screen name I'm doing an LS1 swap. At first it'll be pretty much stock, with just exhaust and intake, then I'll go with heads, cams and intake manifold, then eventually turbocharged, so obviously I'm gonna need some rubber to put down all that power and torque. I know I don't need 335s, but the bigger the better.

If something's worth doing, it's worth going overboard haha.

Thanks for all the help.
-Layne
Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS240 View Post
I know I don't need 335s, but the bigger the better.

If something's worth doing, it's worth going overboard haha.

Thanks for all the help.
-Layne
I have an LS1FC and I would say you are by far just fine with a 265 front and 285 rear as long as you go with a high quality tire and you can fit those widths under stock S14 bodywork if you run wheels with deep enough offsets to keep them close to the suspension. if you can, run an 18" wheel so you can get some of the short O.D. tires like the 285/30R18 that is wide but short so you have more space to work with compared to some of the taller O.D. tires out there. 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear is pretty damn nice for an S14.

GSracer you have run some wide setups, wow! I love those pics, I hope to snag another S14 so I can LS1 it and run a wide tire setup... I'm surprised you ran such a low offset in the rear, you could have fit even more tire under those rolled/pulled fenders (like a 315) had you ran a +30 offset, right?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
LS240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp owen View Post
I have an LS1FC and I would say you are by far just fine with a 265 front and 285 rear as long as you go with a high quality tire and you can fit those widths under stock S14 bodywork if you run wheels with deep enough offsets to keep them close to the suspension. if you can, run an 18" wheel so you can get some of the short O.D. tires like the 285/30R18 that is wide but short so you have more space to work with compared to some of the taller O.D. tires out there. 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear is pretty damn nice for an S14.
Thanks. It's good to have some first-hand info from somebody with an LS1-equipped car. I'm thinking 265/35R18 front, 295/35R18 rear BFGoodrich KDW2 tires on Volk RE30s sized 18x9.5+15f and 18x10.5+18r, or Nismo LMGT4s sized 18x9.5+12f and 18x10.5+15r, both Bronze in color. Leaning heavily towards the RE30s.

Owen, you have any pictures of your LS1FC? I don't think people would mind an FC sneaking into this thread if it helps keep it going, as long as it's maximum-fitment caliber.

Thanks.
-Layne
Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I don't think any body will mind if you post more border line ridiculous pics gsracer.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #19
a_ahmed
BANNED

aceinthehole runs 285/30/18 up front its actually a shorter tire than a 275/40/17 (actually by alot) and a 275/40/17 can be fitted on an s14 front easily
Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #20
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Some of those pics are of 315's under pulled fenders.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
a_ahmed
BANNED

285/35/18 can be done as well for better size fitment, it is a shorter tire than a 265/30/18
Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

I have some pictures of re30's on my car in those exact wheel and tire sizes. I'll post them up when I get home.

Also I can tell you with my 280/280 whp wtq v8 I can spin the 295's and 315's easily from a roll in first and even second gear on throttle only.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
285/35/18 can be done as well for better size fitment, it is a shorter tire than a 265/30/18
a 285/35 is not shorter than a 265/30.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
a_ahmed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
a 285/35 is not shorter than a 265/30.

That was meant to say 265/35/18 and 285/30/18 not other way around i had long day lol...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #25
a_ahmed
BANNED

^lol damn... and thats with a nissan v8 right? Not ls1? Yikes.. Plus its an s14 which is heavier than fc if im not mistaken... weirdness... maybe the compound sucks?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #26
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

My car is right around 2600 lbs with the cage.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #27
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS240 View Post
Thanks. It's good to have some first-hand info from somebody with an LS1-equipped car. I'm thinking 265/35R18 front, 295/35R18 rear BFGoodrich KDW2 tires on Volk RE30s sized 18x9.5+15f and 18x10.5+18r, or Nismo LMGT4s sized 18x9.5+12f and 18x10.5+15r, both Bronze in color. Leaning heavily towards the RE30s.

Owen, you have any pictures of your LS1FC? I don't think people would mind an FC sneaking into this thread if it helps keep it going, as long as it's maximum-fitment caliber.

Thanks.
-Layne
I would think you'd want to fit a lower offset out back to give you the chance at running as wide a tire as possible... unless youre gonna push a 335 wide and run some 50mm rear overfenders. I have seen 17x10 +40 offset fit a 275 out back on a stock bodied S14 so there is a ton of room inboard, dont let it go to waste, use it to your benefit and run a 315 on a +35 to +25 offset or whatever you'd need, I think the +15 is kinda lame as it requires a lot more work and time to fit it well (clearance).

yeah I have a shit-ton of pics of my LS1FC, here are some with the 295/30r18 rears and 285/30r18 fronts on 18x10s all around and some widebody activities I love these tires and the sizes, theyre barely 25" tall so there is plenty of room for clearance and the car can be run very low as well, so much better than when I had 285r/275f in 17" kumho MXs those were some damn tall tires.

I think with a 265/35 and then a 285/30 or 295/30 you would be rockin!

http://web.mac.com/owen_the_soyboy/iWeb/Site/fc3s%20ssr%20sp1.html
and
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2273797

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

I be been thinking of getting some 18 by 12.5 +40 so I can "stretch" some 315's on there LOL then people would shut up ha ha.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #29
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^Please don't ruin your sexy machine by doing that lol.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #30
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

carbon black volk re30s in 18x9.5+15f and 18x10.5+18r 265/295 kumho mx
looked a bit to sunk imho