Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #61
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Doluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would rather cover the whole bottom and be safe.... besides, this is here and I know who makes it..
I wanted to do a group buy on them.... but since i'm not a sponsor........
Doluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #62
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i seen the tomei knockoffs on ebay - anyone verify they are ok?

I still have stock because im poor

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #63
drumnbasslvr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
drumnbasslvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Heres an oil pan WARNING and I swear should be stickied. I know of two revisions of the greddy oil pan for sr20, one being marked in small letters between fins on bottom Trust and one with significant lettering on center of bottom Greddy. Greddy has recession inside pan and Trust does not, otherwise identical. Trust pan placed on an s13 sr20det will seal off oil pickup unless you upgrade to s15 pickup tube. Trust pan on s14 or s15 will be just fine. Greddy pan fine for all. Learned a hard lesson to come up with this. Losing a built motor at idle in a minutes time. Be careful out there everyone.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #64
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Man, thats crazy! Sorry to hear dude.

Im still looking for a Tomei pan to pick up!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #65
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
I'm designing a new oil pan at GKTech and am looking for some input from you guys. What would you like to see in it? Features so far are stainless steel construction with internal baffling. We have so far not agreed on whether to use a gasket for mounting surface or silicone seal like oem.

Here is what I have so far:

Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #66
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I prefer liquid gasket seals over paper/rubber gaskets, especially on oil submerged/soaked areas.

A paper/rubber gasket would be another expense for you guys, because as far as I know, no one makes one for the SR oil pan.

I'd recommend an oil temp sensor bung, and a splash guard located right around the pick up as to prevent sloshing from breaking suction and grabbing air. Similar to the Tomei style for the RB's.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...B_oillube.html
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #67
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Is this what you had in mind?

JUN auto makes one like this for SR20

Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #68
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, but theirs replaces the lower baffle that's bolted in the bottom of the motor. If you have it welded into the pan you no longer have to unbolt the factory one.

Obviously it has to be cost effective, but most people buy oil pans, not lower baffling plates...
Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #69
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Some sheet metal laser cutting and forming into a tube should not add much cost, thanks a lot for your input
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #70
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i like my moroso pan so far ...

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #71
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Update

Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #72
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Looks awesome... Now price it competitively!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #73
StefSpec

StefSpec is an unknown quantity at this point
what happened to the sump GKtech were developing last year?

was going to be billet machined and had an interesting setup for the drain plug.
StefSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #74
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

The price was not competitive

New one is set to be $199-$229, something like that.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #75
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
How low will that pan sit compared to Moroso or CS?
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #76
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was about to buy a new pan, but looks like I am going to hold off until that is released. lol keep us informed.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #77
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Make a version that is to be used with the FWD SR oil pickup, so it can sit 12mm higher and not get smashed.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #78
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Currently the clearance is same as the previous model sold.

For a track day a sump guard is IMO a must have so raising it would not be very good for business as it would require all SR guys to have FWD SR pickups.

In case you do bottom out on the oil pan the baffle plates will prove stiffness so oil pickup should not be left to starve. We could probably have one made just so we could crush it and see the aftermath.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #79
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
In case you do bottom out on the oil pan the baffle plates will prove stiffness so oil pickup should not be left to starve. We could probably have one made just so we could crush it and see the aftermath.
This would be a great idea and a good selling point. Show before and after the damage, the speed and obstacles that were hit.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #80
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but this is too good to let die. Was the GKtech pan ever completed?
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 AM   #81
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but this is too good to let die. Was the GKtech pan ever completed?
Samples are being made

I have a prototype fitted on my car:

It also clears the anti-roll bar for those running it

For production model the bungs are located inside the oil pan
Old 11-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #82
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Has anybody had the baffles in the Tomei oil pan break free? I've heard of this happening so have been worried about it. Considering swapping my Tomei pan out for a Canton or Moroso pan now.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #83
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Has anybody had the baffles in the Tomei oil pan break free? I've heard of this happening so have been worried about it. Considering swapping my Tomei pan out for a Canton or Moroso pan now.
never heard of that, might be a good idea to tack em in a few additional places just to be safe.

I had a trust/greddy, but switched to a phase2 (I had it side by side on the counter with a circuit sport and a tomei, and I can't see any benefit to the tomei, or not enough to justify the price jump

http://www.frsport.com/P2M-P2-OPNSR2..._p_963771.html

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #84
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Honestly I don't know if the one I've been using is a Tomei, Circuit Sport, or P2M pan, they all look the same and mine doesn't have any markings on it. It's been on the engine for a couple years but I've always been concerned with the baffles, and about how slim it is. It seems like the bottom could be pretty close to the oil pickup since it seems to sit a lot higher than the stock or other options.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #85
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I use circuit sports which i believe is identical (manufactured from same place) to P2M.
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #86
chris_240sx
Zilvia Junkie

chris_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I had a trust/greddy, but switched to a phase2
Why did you switch? I'm considering oil pan choices myself...
chris_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #87
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Anybody have input on the Moroso vs. the Canton? The canton might have a better baffle design, but the welds look to be pretty shit inside. Maybe they're better now who knows. I think the Moroso has been ran by a lot of people with no issues.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #88
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
I use circuit sports which i believe is identical (manufactured from same place) to P2M.
I had a tomei, a p2m, and a CS sitting on the counter in front of me. P2m and CS, you cannot tell the difference at all, other than p2m has a tag on it and CS does not. Tomei looks slightly different, but comparable design and quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_240sx View Post
Why did you switch? I'm considering oil pan choices myself...
I'm switching from nismo mounts to cusco. Nismo sit the engine very high and allow lots of room for the pan, cusco sit a lot lower, putting the pan at much higher risk for scraping (yes, I will be running a skid plate), so I didn't want a cast pan anymore.

(its for sale btw http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=636040 )

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #89
chris_240sx
Zilvia Junkie

chris_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I'm switching from nismo mounts to cusco. Nismo sit the engine very high and allow lots of room for the pan, cusco sit a lot lower, putting the pan at much higher risk for scraping (yes, I will be running a skid plate), so I didn't want a cast pan anymore.

(its for sale btw http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=636040 )
Ah I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm leaning toward a stainless pan, but good luck with the sale.
chris_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #90
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Buy this, run what ever pan you want.

S13 chassis - Front Skid Plate