Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #8821
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The low power is unacceptable. NA inline 4s have been doing 200hp reliably for 20 years. A modern turbo 4 should be knocking on 300hp with tune or bolt ons.

Ford is killing it with the ecoboost line. Nissan should publicly apologize to their shareholders for falling so far behind.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #8822
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
I believe it's called "Blindspot"
Blindspots are a feature now. There is a reason Nissan is hard into developing that 360 degree camera system, its because you can't see shit out of your new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
The low power is unacceptable. NA inline 4s have been doing 200hp reliably for 20 years. A modern turbo 4 should be knocking on 300hp with tune or bolt ons.

Ford is killing it with the ecoboost line. Nissan should publicly apologize to their shareholders for falling so far behind.
This times a thousand. Just add in a stock secondary injector system to clean valves and those engines would be fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #8823
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Blindspots are a feature now. There is a reason Nissan is hard into developing that 360 degree camera system, its because you can't see shit out of your new car.

Cars will end up like the ones in Daybreakers. Just giant video screens instead of Windows.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #8824
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Cars will end up like the ones in Daybreakers. Just giant video screens instead of Windows.
I am sure the DOT would love that to happen. The airline industry is playing around with the idea from time to time. If I could get only video screens on the pillars that block my view I would be happy, make it so they only turn on when the driver looks back at them.

On that note I want a system that can overlay a censored area across a accident scene, basically black the whole area out but somehow still allow for judging of distance etc. It would make my daily commute so much better if idiots could not rubber neck at the two cars that traded paint and are now 25ft off the shoulder safe enough from getting hit unless you really fuck up as a driver.
Quote:

Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #8825
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post

Maybe not the best choice of expression.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #8826
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
That sounds like what the interior of the Model 3 is going to be. Elon Tweeted some shit about it have spaceship controls. I read that as autonomy and less about the driver.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #8827
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
That sounds like what the interior of the Model 3 is going to be. Elon Tweeted some shit about it have spaceship controls. I read that as autonomy and less about the driver.
For the people who buy these things you want them to be as automated and predictable as possible. Also these driver aids should not be able to be disabled, these are the people who disable lane departure because it is annoying them when it reminds them 5 times a mile to stay in their own lane. Then once they disable it they hit another car and cause a huge pile up.
Quote:

Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #8828
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
What do you think of the 2017 Miata RF?

greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #8829
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

Yardjass is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's underpowered and a waste of money, just like the regular ND Miata.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #8830
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Miatas have been underpowered since the NA.

Yet it still beats the FRS/BRZ on 0-60 for less money. It's a good car for what it's trying to be. Putting the 2.5 in there would make it even better though.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #8831
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
Miatas have been underpowered since the NA.

Yet it still beats the FRS/BRZ on 0-60 for less money. It's a good car for what it's trying to be. Putting the 2.5 in there would make it even better though.

Cram a Coyote in it.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #8832
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Quote:
Cram a Coyote in it.
Haha honestly, I can anticipate a shitload of swap options being available due to the large aftermarket and enthusiast backing for it.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #8833
Corbic
Post Whore!

The Future RWD Coupes Thread

Quote:
Haha honestly, I can anticipate a shitload of swap options being available due to the large aftermarket and enthusiast backing for it.

And the fact the stock engine sucks balls.

How many swap kits exist for the Supra, Evo or Corvette?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #8834
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

Flyin Miata is already putting a V8 in one. Pretty sure its either a Coyote or an LSX but I don't remember which for sure. They kind of suck with V8's though. They get squirrely because of the short wheelbase, added weight in front, and all that extra power. I'd settle for 200 to 300 horses and torque figures better than the joke ones in the FRS and most Honda 4 cylinders. You know, enough get up and go to outrun new Accords and minivans instead of the anemic power levels they currently have. The most appealing sounding one I've ever heard of had a K20/K24 "frankenmotor" swap and basically fit that description to a tee. I've never had the pleasure of driving it though but I imagine its a lot like the forced induction ones I've driven but with vtaks and a higher redline.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #8835
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
The RF is just awesome. For me its the best looking Miata evar.

Speaking of looks, look how turning the Model 3 into a hatch INSTANTLY makes it look better. It would actually be functional instead of practically useless.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #8836
Corbic
Post Whore!

Because A/C and Power Steering are for pussies.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #8837
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
The RF is just awesome. For me its the best looking Miata evar.

Speaking of looks, look how turning the Model 3 into a hatch INSTANTLY makes it look better. It would actually be functional instead of practically useless.

Maybe if the Miata wasn't a 3/4 scaled car it might look better.

That Model 3 hatch looks like a CG Mazda 3 hatch.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #8838
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

That hatch render of the Model 3 looks pretty damn good. I love how the Mazda3 hatch looks too so that's probably why.

If the price is right, I'm very tempted about getting a Miata RF. It's a car meant for fun and simplicity. Less cylinders and less weight and it's not huge. I'm not a big guy (5'6" 155 lbs) so it's a proportionate size for me. I'd beat the motor up with bolt-ons until it blows, then swap maybe a different motor of choice. Fuck it, S15 SR haha. Shit if the EcoBoost 4cyl proves to be a rugged motor after high-miles, that'd be considered too.

There are no swap kits for Corvettes, Supras, and Evos because that's the best motor the respective brand has for the chassis.

They're not going to stick the company's strongest factory powerplant in a car and only sell it for $25k.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #8839
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
They kind of suck with V8's though. They get squirrely because of the short wheelbase, added weight in front, and all that extra power. I'd settle for 200 to 300 horses and torque figures better than the joke ones in the FRS and most Honda 4 cylinders.
That's why you don't shove a V8 in one. There are plenty of 2.0 Ecoboost motors already showing up for cheaper then a SR20 swap, and the FWD to RWD trans should be as easy as bolting up a NC miata transmission. Give it a few months and you will likely start seeing the 2.3 Ecoboosts out of the mustang popping up as people start parting out their crowd killers.
Quote:

Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #8840
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah but at the same time, when the V6's in entry level pony cars are making twice the power that you get from a Miata at the same price point, and are some of the lowest powered motors made by their respective companies, that's not really an excuse.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #8841
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Yeah but at the same time, when the V6's in entry level pony cars are making twice the power that you get from a Miata at the same price point, and are some of the lowest powered motors made by their respective companies, that's not really an excuse.
Nearly a moot point. Two cars of two different classes for two different types of drivers/enthusiasts. The value isn't there for you, but there is to me.

Also, what are the reliability ratings on these V6 motors? The motors in all gen Miatas are all proven to last well into the 200k mile range.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #8842
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Also, what are the reliability ratings on these V6 motors? The motors in all gen Miatas are all proven to last well into the 200k mile range.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #8843
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Legit question. I hear too much about Miata reliability and too little about base Mustang/Camaro reliability.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #8844
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Legit question. I hear too much about Miata reliability and too little about base Mustang/Camaro reliability.

Probably comparable no? Mazdas have pretty poor built quality compared to like Honda and Toyota and shit. I think they are ranked next to or in between ford and Chevy in dependability or whatever
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #8845
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
A lot of the tech Mazda is using right now is a derivative of their partnership with Ford. As for Ford reliability, that Found On Road Dead joke no longer applies. Sure some ford models are less reliable then the comparable Mazda, but it works both ways depending on the segment. Either way none of their cars rank bad on reliability. Sure the 1.6L in the Edge cracks heads, but if you do your recalls Ford will fix that on their own dime, as well the DSG gets the brunt of the criticism but its not that they break, its that they don't work like other automatics because they really are not one. Another complaint that makes fords look worse when looking at things like J.D. Power etc. is My Ford Touch, but that has nothing to do with when your engine is going to crap out.
Quote:

Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #8846
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
Probably comparable no? Mazdas have pretty poor built quality compared to like Honda and Toyota and shit. I think they are ranked next to or in between ford and Chevy in dependability or whatever

All jokes aside, powertrains in both the Camaro and Mustang have been rock solid for... The last 50 years.

GM SBC and 3800 are absolute tanks, so is the LSX and their new V6 family.

Ford 302, Essex V6, Mod-Motors, Cologne V6, Duratec V6 and Coyote are all solid too.

It's actually kind of a stupid question.

Mods, LSX and SBC are fucking beasts. Just think of your basic bitch trucks with 300k miles of grueling work, your taxi cabs and police cars with 200k miles of idling in boiling summer heat, sporadic shitty maintenance etc.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #8847
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Excuse my ignorance.

Other than fleet vehicles, domestic brands aren't as synonymous to me with "reliable" as Japanese brands are.

I do like that domestic brands are creeping up the ladder now though. Ford is been gauging my interest immensely in recent years.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #8848
Corbic
Post Whore!

The Future RWD Coupes Thread

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance.

Other than fleet vehicles, domestic brands aren't as synonymous to me with "reliable" as Japanese brands are.

I do like that domestic brands are creeping up the ladder now though. Ford is been gauging my interest immensely in recent years.

Honestly, beyond Toyota/Honda, what import is all that "reliable"?

Mazdas late 90's automatic was an absolute POS, Rotary = Hand Grenade, rust issues all the way into the Gen 1 Mazda 3... So forth.

Also the B2000, MX6 and Protege are basically Fords.

Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Suzuki...don't even get me started on the Europeans.

It's cars are cars. It's always good to look at the specific car. The Miata is a Gem, the RX-8 a nightmare. The Corsica a pile of crap, the 1500 indestructible.

Older domestics are also not necessarily panned for reliability, but just for being shit boxes. The GM 3600/3800 Series Midsize Sedans are crap compared to an Accord or Camry..

That said, those POS underpowered 17mpg OHV V6s will run forever on black tar oil with a blown head-gasket and Rod-Knock.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #8849
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance.

Go drive a Ford, you don't have to drive something like the Fiesta ST(my current daily), Focus ST, SHO, Ecoboost Stang, GT Stang or Shelby to realize their quality is up there with the best of the non luxury brands. I am sure Chevy is even pretty decent in that regard after the whole recall firestorm they created for themselves. My girlfriend has the Sonic Turbo and it feels like a good quality econobox, it felt on par with a Versa or Mazda 2.
Quote:

Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #8850
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

The Miata motors are very reliable, yes. About the only problems I know or are the crank keyway problems on the 1.6's and their tendency to break off oil squirters (which have been found to be unnecessary and almost useless anyway). They are designed extremely conservatively and with very high factors of safety so yes, they last a long time. That said, they're also complete fucking garbage in pretty much every other aspect, and the new ones are nothing more than an economy car engine that Mazda threw in there to save costs. If you want to talk about quality motors, we don't need to go high powered like Coyote, LSX, etc. There are tons of 4 cylinder motors with proven reliability on par with a Miata motor, that are actually decent all around motors too. Almost any performance oriented 4 cylinder, in fact.