Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #5401
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Bink Industries is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Answer: Cor Integration sway bar.

its not the only one. i will be releasing this soon. in the finaly prototype phases. this bar can be seen on Joon Maengs current 2013 240sx drift car. so yes it clears LS1 It actualy hits the PSM FLCA before my swaybar You can also see the additional rates which can be swaped out for more tuning options.
Bink Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #5402
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

here is a teaser as well

2 peice laser cut and cnc bent chromoly inserts

2 inch roll center drop

still confirming all the other numbers (dont want to claim something and have it not do that haha)

i will be competative with the leading competitions angle and my own ackerman set up.

a have spent 3 months researching other products and noticed alot of problems with som gold and orange colored products
so instead of nocking off or basing my product off of theres i started fromscratch in CAD. Made a jig based off of measurements in cad and built the part in the jig. its more accurate that way (well at lest in this case)

i will keep you guys updated on info after the test tonight. Pro driver Joon maeng will be testing this on my personal R and D car so i will have some driver feed back as well.

Bink Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #5403
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
PBM will probably be making swaybars soon too.

...and then shipping them out by August of 2015

on a completely unrelated note, where are those knuckles you said i was gonna receive a month ago?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #5404
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post

on a completely unrelated note, where are those knuckles you said i was gonna receive a month ago?

on a boat coming from CHINA............takes along time to row a shipping container

I trust not
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #5405
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukistylejdm View Post
it has evrything , ruca, toe-rod, traction rod, rlca just drop knuckles missing
rear traction rods set too short, inducing heavy toe change on suspension movement. It adds a lot of toe out on droop, which makes the car über twitchy on braking and feels like the car wants to steer itself on acceleration (because both rear suspensions usually dont compress exactly the same, and the toe change rate being important, your rear wheels wont have symetry at all)

Dont ask me how i know that ...
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #5406
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Figs Engineering just made this for my friend's IS300.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #5407
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post

Next week is the last damn week of May. Knew I should of just thrown on my MA knuckles before these came in.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #5408
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 of S-Empire View Post
its not the only one. i will be releasing this soon. in the finaly prototype phases. this bar can be seen on Joon Maengs current 2013 240sx drift car. so yes it clears LS1 It actualy hits the PSM FLCA before my swaybar You can also see the additional rates which can be swaped out for more tuning options.

Realy nice ! You plan on doing a rear one

Im in for a set for my s14

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #5409
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx
Powered by Max Knuckles have SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #5410
kewilso3
Leaky Injector

kewilso3 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Not sure if serious? I have not been notified, and I ordered the day the pre-buy started, before Dan posted it on Zilvia
kewilso3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #5411
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Nate, thats enough crap talking, its just unprofessional and no one can respect that. Im sure you are a capable fabricator, so let your original parts speak for themselves, thats very respectable.

The MAX forged knuckles have arrived, and preorders have been dispatched. If you have not seen an email from UPS with tracking, email us about the order and we'll get you the delivery info.
Its been a long day for packing and shipping! Thanks for the business & everyone that has supported this new part release! We will post additional stock on hand for sale on the website shortly.

How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #5412
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Nate, thats enough crap talking, its just unprofessional and no one can respect that. Im sure you are a capable fabricator, so let your original parts speak for themselves, thats very respectable.

The MAX forged knuckles have arrived, and preorders have been dispatched. If you have not seen an email from UPS with tracking, email us about the order and we'll get you the delivery info.
Its been a long day for packing and shipping! Thanks for the business & everyone that has supported this new part release! We will post additional stock on hand for sale on the website shortly.

I wasn't bashing anyone I apologize if you feel that way.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #5413
S13project
Zilvia Junkie

S13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks4life View Post
thanks man is just what i think a coupe should look like. lol havent painted it cuz i cant find a local dmax/supermade roof wings and wont put anything else on the car!!!

ive been following this thread for a long time and we made our knuckle models using a lot a of help of this forum and some local FD drivers. my whole car is set up using info from here lol hopefully now i can perfect it to my driving style.

any feed back would be great!
holy crap sebastian! didn't realize you had taken your suspension that far. hell yea man!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #5414
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
zeebrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Few things:
First (and something very similar to this was asked like 2/3 pages back but no real conclusion) I ran most stock everything up front except pbm tie rod spacers, modified knuckles and chopped bump stops on lca replaced with welded on flatter/flusher steel stops... and string aligned it and had heaps of angle. Ran maybe 3/4ths inch of wheel spacer on +15 wheels and still hit tensions up front and frame out back(I run no sway) bought shitspeed offset tensions and fixed the rubbing at lock issue(but was still with in millimeters) Couple track days and the angle was amazing.

So...Then my car was down for a couple months so I threw on some new steering parts including solid steering bushing, es steering rack bushings, tien tie rods (kept pbm spacer still in favor of tien's), spl outters (spaced down probably too much) and then got an actual machine alignment Same wheel/spacer set up. Now I have FAR less angle. Probably a solid 2-3 inches from tension/frame. So what gives?? Is it the spl ends? I noticed the dude doing my alignment had some serious issues setting my caster could this be culprit? I understand this is 'alot of factors/variables' but it was such a drastic change. Is it possible to have installed any of the parts wrong? I consider myself a relitively exprernced mechanic... But shit I'm stumped and bummed. Track day last weekend and could feel the loss of angle....
Also what's peoples thought of spacing the lcas out via drillig the subframe so I can get rid of those Spacers and more camber? Never see a real concencious on it...
Any info is appreciated...
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #5415
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebrah View Post
Few things:
First (and something very similar to this was asked like 2/3 pages back but no real conclusion) I ran most stock everything up front except pbm tie rod spacers, modified knuckles and chopped bump stops on lca replaced with welded on flatter/flusher steel stops... and string aligned it and had heaps of angle. Ran maybe 3/4ths inch of wheel spacer on +15 wheels and still hit tensions up front and frame out back(I run no sway) bought shitspeed offset tensions and fixed the rubbing at lock issue(but was still with in millimeters) Couple track days and the angle was amazing.

So...Then my car was down for a couple months so I threw on some new steering parts including solid steering bushing, es steering rack bushings, tien tie rods (kept pbm spacer still in favor of tien's), spl outters (spaced down probably too much) and then got an actual machine alignment Same wheel/spacer set up. Now I have FAR less angle. Probably a solid 2-3 inches from tension/frame. So what gives?? Is it the spl ends? I noticed the dude doing my alignment had some serious issues setting my caster could this be culprit? I understand this is 'alot of factors/variables' but it was such a drastic change. Is it possible to have installed any of the parts wrong? I consider myself a relitively exprernced mechanic... But shit I'm stumped and bummed. Track day last weekend and could feel the loss of angle....
Also what's peoples thought of spacing the lcas out via drillig the subframe so I can get rid of those Spacers and more camber? Never see a real concencious on it...
Any info is appreciated...
Unless your tie rod shank is perfectly parallel with your ball joint shank, then when you space the tie rod down, you are increasing ackerman and decreasing total lock available at the same time.

Also, if they dialed in more caster with the tension rods, then you'll have a little less angle.

Just extend your LCA's. It's a better mod then messing with the pivot points and actually decreases positive camber gain on bump if you don't have RC adjustment.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #5416
Cash
Zilvia Addict

Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cash
Maybe this will get more attention here.. Do the S13 and S14 subframes have a different rear upper control arm mount width? I have brand new S13 SPL RUCAs I'm trying to install and the spherical baring with the spacers won't fit in the mount on the subframe. The box they came in says S13, so I'm not sure why they aren't even close to fitting.

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/520190...t-fitting.html
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #5417
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
No, s13 and 14 RUCA mounts are the same size. The only thing that I could think, is you got some s14 toe rod spacers, instead of the RUCA spacers.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #5418
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Unless your tie rod shank is perfectly parallel with your ball joint shank, then when you space the tie rod down, you are increasing ackerman and decreasing total lock available at the same time.

Also, if they dialed in more caster with the tension rods, then you'll have a little less angle.

Just extend your LCA's. It's a better mod then messing with the pivot points and actually decreases positive camber gain on bump if you don't have RC adjustment.
I have looked into the camber change difference and it is very very minimal, I have also posted this pages ago
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #5419
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
I have looked into the camber change difference and it is very very minimal, I have also posted this pages ago
Yes, I was merely stating that it helped. Every little bit helps.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #5420
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

koukistylejdm is an unknown quantity at this point
theres one thing i noticed after my alignement seems like the rear wheels are far back in the fender wonder if its normal i looked at many s13-14 first time i see it like this

thanks with any advice
koukistylejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #5421
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your traction arm could be too long which would push your wheel back in the wheel well. Are you running stock rear knuckles?

Since I mentioned rear traction arms, does anyone have any input on optimal traction rod to ruca length ratio? An article on MotoIQ said near stock length traction rod is good, a local pro/am driver told me the shorter the better. There is a thread on NRR with bumpsteer graphs for changes in traction rod/ruca length for an s14, but I'm not sure how much it pertains to the s13 due to different anti-squat geometry.

For drivers that have switched to PBM or Driftworks rear knuckles, what changes have you made to the suspension arms since the switch?
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #5422
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

koukistylejdm is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks a lot it confirm evrything its going back to alignement saturday morning
koukistylejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #5423
hks4life
Zilvia Addict

hks4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13project View Post
holy crap sebastian! didn't realize you had taken your suspension that far. hell yea man!
thanks tyler, i wanted the car to be low and to perform like it was suppose to. next thing is to do is get some bolts made for the offset rack spacers we made. or i may mod a sub frame if i get my hands on one
hks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #5424
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris28 View Post
Your traction arm could be too long which would push your wheel back in the wheel well. Are you running stock rear knuckles?

Since I mentioned rear traction arms, does anyone have any input on optimal traction rod to ruca length ratio? An article on MotoIQ said near stock length traction rod is good, a local pro/am driver told me the shorter the better. There is a thread on NRR with bumpsteer graphs for changes in traction rod/ruca length for an s14, but I'm not sure how much it pertains to the s13 due to different anti-squat geometry.

For drivers that have switched to PBM or Driftworks rear knuckles, what changes have you made to the suspension arms since the switch?
The shorter the better ? You dont want to listen to that guy ... i went that route before, when i did not know how it would affect the driving and everyone around me told "it does not matter".

Worst decision ever, got crazy toe out on droop, the car would try to spin every time i touched the brake pedal. I ended up setting my dampers to full hard to lock the suspension and try and enjoy the rest of the trackday.

The rear traction rod controls the bump steer. The ideal length depends on the height of the suspension. I am still trying to dial mine correctly, so far i used the same RLCA /traction rod length ratio + around 5mm and it kind of works (S13 subframe, all adjustable arms, stock knuckles, 5cm wider track rear, lowered but not that much)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #5425
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
The best way according to Nismo is to increase the length of the camber arm and traction arm equally

It would be good to add this info to the first page:

Quote:
Quote: To adjust camber, do it with the eccentric!! Do not change RUCA length, just the eccentric bolt's position. Use the same lengths on both L&R sides (assuming your crossmember, LCA and bushings are all proper and undamaged, you would be surprised how many cars have bent lcas or subframes).

To adjust toe, DONT do it with the eccentric! run the eccentric so that the toe arm is the shortest possible length, then adjust toe with the arm length.

if the car is going to be lowered substantially, this requires longer lengths for the RUCA and toe arms.

Quote: R34 nismo trac arm length +5mm over S14
R34 nismo RUCA length +5mm over S14

due to this thread, i ran:
+6.35mm over S14 trac arm length
+6.35mm over S14 RUCA length

Quote: if you decide to use any sort of roll center adjuster the REAR LCA MUST BE LENGTHENED,

Nismo Z-tune:
Link

Quote: Isn't it interesting that the STOCK ration Traction to UCA gives the best/least toe change. Nissan engineers must be fairly sharp.
Studying this paper also reveals that toe starts changing a lot more if you change the ride height too much:

Nissan S chassis rear suspension design explained
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #5426
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
The best way according to Nismo is to increase the length of the camber arm and traction arm equally
This is off topic, because this is only true if ride height does not change.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #5427
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
The shorter the better ? You dont want to listen to that guy ... i went that route before, when i did not know how it would affect the driving and everyone around me told "it does not matter".
Thanks for the response. I rode in the guy's car at the track and was amazed at how much rear grip he had, that why I asked him about his rear suspension settings. Further research showed that there is an optimal ratio between ruca and traction rod, and his response didn't seem right. I figured asking here would get me pointed in the right direction.

Now how about aftermarket rear knuckles? It makes sense to lengthen the lca if you're using roll center correcting ball joints, but you don't have to with knuckles. Does the ratio between ruca and traction rod stay the same?
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #5428
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
This is off topic, because this is only true if ride height does not change.
this is correct AND incorect as well.

if you dont change the ride height then this is correct as they are trying to maintain the rear caster angle which is effecting your bumpsteer. but that is only within reason. any major adjustment changes and this does not apply.

Now.... if you make any makor adjustents and or changes to the ride height you will have to start from scratch to find the factory caster setting for rear or try and find something that you are more happy with (always room for improvment ) by messing with the traction rod length.

NOW once you have found that happy spot that you like you would then do what it says and idealy move the length of your traction rod and camber arm the same amount to maintain your rear caster/bumpsteer settings.

rember guys you have to think of the RUCA and the traction rod as one peice. like a double wishbone/ A arm suspension it really isnt that differant. if you draw a line through both pivots one on the traction rod and one through the RUCA pivots, where these lines intersect is the IMAGINARY upper ball joint. that is why changing the lengths of these two arms will change your dynamic alignment settings because you have moved an imaginary pivot point.

What do you think would happen if you just adjusted camber on a double Arm car by cutting out secstions of one side of the arm? thats what your doing to your car when you only adjust one of these two arms.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #5429
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Driftworks R-body V2 being test fitted today!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #5430
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Real lower arm longer balljoints are bollocks, all they do is increase your already excessive camber gain, if possible it'd be better to make the oem ones shorter, but there is no room with the standard unmodified upright.

Link to Rear bumpsteer thread on NRR. As you can see, the best ratio is the standard one.

This thread pretty much appears to be going in direction of "I want pretty looking parts on my car so I can make a longer spec list and win in the internet"