Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #3361
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisEpyon View Post
Looking good Chamb-O. Your on the right track. What is your set up? if you dont mind me asking.
thanks man

Miller dynasty 200
.5 second pulse to keep consistency

are you bolting it to a dummy flange to keep it from warping?
if so good idea!
I usually surface my flanges on a belt sander afterwards
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #3362
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post
thanks man

Miller dynasty 200
.5 second pulse to keep consistency

are you bolting it to a dummy flange to keep it from warping?
if so good idea!
I usually surface my flanges on a belt sander afterwards
For something that small, hitting it with a belt sander after is fine. Larger stuff (or really thin flanges) you'd want to torque it down.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #3363
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
my frind is redoing is s13 !!!

here is a couple of pics ... let us know what you think

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #3364
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ill just figure he's replacing rust spots...but looks like a job well done
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #3365
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
getting decent with aluminum

Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #3366
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a Java applet to help you guys make notches if you don't have a notcher. It allows you to print out a pattern.
Cobra Torch - TubeNotcherPlus
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #3367
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Just wanted to share my fabrication area in our new shop.

CNC plasma cutting system on is on the way as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #3368
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Hey blu808 how did u get into fabrication? What was your first paid project?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #3369
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Hmm. 1st paid project is kind of hard to remember. There were years of doing stuff for friends for free and of course stuff for myself to learn on. There were always little $20-$500 jobs here and there but I would still consider those hooking friends up and just doing them for fun/cost. Even now it is really hard to decide which jobs to take in. I always try to hook up my friends when they call me, but at the same time I can't have friends broken cars around my shop when I could be making money doing actual customer work. I find that to be the hard part now a days.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3370
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Hmm. 1st paid project is kind of hard to remember. There were years of doing stuff for friends for free and of course stuff for myself to learn on. There were always little $20-$500 jobs here and there but I would still consider those hooking friends up and just doing them for fun/cost. Even now it is really hard to decide which jobs to take in. I always try to hook up my friends when they call me, but at the same time I can't have friends broken cars around my shop when I could be making money doing actual customer work. I find that to be the hard part now a days.
I feel you on that one, friends always get mad at me if I don't do they're cars for free, I charge less, but never free, I learned that lesson, fake people trying to be your friends for work lol
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #3371
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_gohan View Post
I feel you on that one, friends always get mad at me if I don't do they're cars for free, I charge less, but never free, I learned that lesson, fake people trying to be your friends for work lol
"Thats why it's not show friends it's show business."

I have a couple of guys that I sponsor by doing a bunch of fab work on their cars.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #3372
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
These days I find myself doing things for friends for cost / free, and for myself to practice on. I'm getting a little better at it, but I still have a long way to go before I'd be willing to think about starting to charge for my work.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #3373
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

well for the most part i would hook up friends for free but i been to relax with that, u give them an 1inch they take a mile... but now ... no no no.. i pay for the welding gas, i pay for the elctricity, i paid for all my tools, i pay for all the supplies. its not fair. seriously its not fair! cost me money to do people favor it should cost them too! my close-close friends i just have them cover material cost and whatever else i might need.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #3374
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Started mocking up the frame for a project at school, just getting the tacks on. I'm planning to TIG or MIG it next week, depending on how much time we get.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #3375
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
that's the exact stage i'm in right now. doing small jobs for friends and people to get my name out there.

p.s. can i live above your fab area on that loft? it'll be just like fast and the furious.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #3376
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
that's the exact stage i'm in right now. doing small jobs for friends and people to get my name out there.
There is nothing wrong with helping friends out and getting your name out there, but here is a good rule of thumb...Charge at least as much as it cost to fill your bottle of gas. That should cover your gas, time and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
p.s. can i live above your fab area on that loft? it'll be just like fast and the furious.
Lol...Luke is the new Han

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #3377
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

^ Truth.

Welded my first diff for a buddy recently, looks like shit, really had to push my little 140amp welder. Materials cost wound up being the bottle of map gas I needed for pre heating, and the cans of carb and brake cleaner that were used cleaning all the old gear oil out of the housing. Didn't charge for gas / wire and wound up finishing it off in flux core. But since I got to keep what was left of the map gas and brake cleaner, I figured charging for a small amount of wire and C25 wouldn't be worthwhile.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #3378
kevinphan
Zilvia Member

kevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud of
Welding and brake parts cleaner? You are crazy...

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article
kevinphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #3379
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post
^ Truth.

Welded my first diff for a buddy recently, looks like shit, really had to push my little 140amp welder. Materials cost wound up being the bottle of map gas I needed for pre heating, and the cans of carb and brake cleaner that were used cleaning all the old gear oil out of the housing. Didn't charge for gas / wire and wound up finishing it off in flux core. But since I got to keep what was left of the map gas and brake cleaner, I figured charging for a small amount of wire and C25 wouldn't be worthwhile.

Flux core! I'm sure u got splatter all over the diff, how is it holding up?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #3380
blu808
Post Whore!

Shiftdrift:
You should see our other loft then, it is pretty much just like han's shop. lol

Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #3381
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
And another lift! Holy shit, Gregg's shop is the JAM.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #3382
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinphan View Post

this is why you only use non chlorinated brake cleaner.
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #3383
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

or acetone
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #3384
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinphan View Post

Yeah, I'm familiar with that story. And you're right that I could have used some safer solvents for the job. That said, its not like I sprayed the hell out of it minutes before I welded it. Sprayed some of the parts when I was taking it all apart and hit it all with compressed air when I was done... Then two days later I got around to pre heating it on my grill and welding it. Never had any unexpected fumes from the welding or the map gas that I used after it came off the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Flux core! I'm sure u got splatter all over the diff, how is it holding up?
I didn't think it was too bad, certainly more significant than MIG but not by much. At least the flux core was able to bite into the material. I don't think I was even getting 1/8'' of penetration on MIG. Right now its not yet gone into my friend's car as I'm having an issue with one of the output shafts seating properly.

The splines are nice and clean on both the shaft and the diff, so I'm not entirely sure what's causing the issue. Unless a ball of slag / splatter got under part of the snap ring that's in there... But it strikes me as unlikely that it worked its way in there.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #3385
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody recommend a really good quality bench vise? I'm wanting something that will be around long after I'm dead and gone if you know what I mean, I want to be able to beat on it with a 12lb sledge hammer and not wonder if it's gonna break

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #3386
strawe510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
strawe510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wilton Tradesman. Not much better then one of these. You will pay for it but very nice and high quality.
strawe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #3387
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
I was reading over some of the changes in the 2011 FD rulebook and came across a line stating that Aluminum bronze and silicon bronze welding techniques are allowed on cages now. Can anyone elaborate on these techniques? A quick google for silicon bronze filler roll cage brings up a bunch of flame wars and other useless bits.

I remember reading on motoiq about using silicon bronze for welding reinforcement plates to a cage/unibody to allow some flex to reduce the likely hood of cracking, but that's the only use of it I've really come across.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #3388
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Shiftdrift:
You should see our other loft then, it is pretty much just like han's shop. lol
let's work something out! i can pay rent! lol
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #3389
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Anyone near Chicago (northwest indiana) on here feel like makin a lil dough? Need some stitch welding done: front strut towers and rear strut tower. PM me for more details.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #3390
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

if i was close i would definitely do it for you.