Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Nismo_Freak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Nismo_Freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got my Tension Rods

I just picked up my tension rods today from Kuah, and damn are these things massive. If you ever get mugged rip one off your car and you could do some damage!

Spark plug for size comparison.

The shaft is over 1" thick and is made from solid aluminum. The rest of the threaded hardware is plated steel, and the rod end has a seal on it that looks better than the ones used on Cusco arms. Even at full articulation the seal appears to cover the rod end completely without impeading it's movement.

Picture of the Rod End & Seal

Spark plug for reference

I also opted for the optional brake ducts, they are constructed of aluminum and weigh nothing, but they are plenty rigid. Kuah showed me the fitment on his S13 and they look like they will work well.

Overall I am quite pleased with the product SPL put out.

Pricing was $169 for the rods and $25 for the brake ducts.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Nismo_Freak
Leaky Injector

Oh these are SPL's Version 2 Tension Rods, guess I should have said that to begin with ahah.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
gmckey
Zilvia Junkie

gmckey is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gmckey
yeah I was checkin them out when I was up there last weekend and they seem really well made. I haven't had a problem w/ my V1 tension rods, but I might end up going w/ the V2's just for the brake duct option...
gmckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

publicenemy137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to publicenemy137
Do you have any problems with caster adjustment? Some other people were complaining about the amount of adjustability with the caster.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY CARDOMAIN!

help me decide my next set of rims
publicenemy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
gmckey
Zilvia Junkie

gmckey is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gmckey
S14 people who need more caster adjustment 6*+ can use S13/Z32 V2 Tension rod according to Kuah for larger range.
gmckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
How do those brake ducts fit on the car? Looks kinda interesting.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
Nismo_Freak
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicenemy137
Do you have any problems with caster adjustment? Some other people were complaining about the amount of adjustability with the caster.
Kuah mentioned this, evidently one of the people had an S13 and could only get 6* out of them. Considering the length of these I believe that person had more problems that were causing the mal alignment.

I don't think there will be much of an issue to be honest. It allows for factory caster, if you need more dynamic camber then you can just run more static. Odds are 99% of the people that use tension rods don't know for certain if their camber setting is ideal.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSlut
If they are the same size as v.1 (which i have) you can get more caster than you will ever need. My car was at 9.5* at one point. right now i think its like 7.5 or 8* Camber is about -2.75. I can get full counter steering angle while having a full contact patch on the loaded wheel.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
DoriftoSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
No problem with caster on these, my brother is running 7.5* caster / -2.75 camber on his s14 with the v2 tension rods.

Any problems have to be a tweaked chassis/parts.

Very nice parts period, price makes it the best choice imo...rod ends are very cool on these.
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
dam those are hot.. i like the brake duct feature, i know nismo originally came out with something like that, but i forget how much they run for, and not all tension rods could fit em.

but thickness tho, i think its overrated, cuz all the tension rods ive seen that have broke, have snapped at the part where it bolts to the lca.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
But the bigger they are the more force they can dissipate. So even though they may break around the same area, bigger is def. better.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

nice! i'll be buying a set of these then. selling my ipod for one of these babies

Old 07-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #13
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
^^You need two.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
maybe OT, but whats the big deal with caster, and why is more always better (if so?)?
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #15
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyflip445
^^You need two.
I didn't say I was buying a tension rod, I said I was buying a "set". A set = 2 tension rods + brake deflectors

Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
Saisoku
Leaky Injector

Saisoku is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
maybe OT, but whats the big deal with caster, and why is more always better (if so?)?

More isnt always better. Just like with everything in life you can go over board with everything.

The more caster you run on the front of the car gives you more dynamic camber. So the more caster you have the more cambered your wheels will be when cornering. This saves you from running absurd amounts of static camber at all times.

The main draw back with running lots of caster is the fact that steering effort will be increased. I have heard many people running about 8 degrees of caster but as much as 10. As always with suspension tuning, go with what feels best to you.
Saisoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #17
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
I don't have adjustable rods in front to really change things. Are you guys adjusting camber yourselves with your own tools, or do you have some alignmentshop hookup to try all these setups?

Also, anyone got pix of the brake ducts mounted? I'd like to see how they mount up, they look pretty sick

I was thinking of doing arms at the same time as coilovers so i'd only have to do one alignment, but I really can't afford to get t/c rods, tie rods/ends, ruca, toe link all at the same time,...in the mean time, learning how all these settings work seems the best route
Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #18
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek
dam those are hot.. i like the brake duct feature, i know nismo originally came out with something like that, but i forget how much they run for, and not all tension rods could fit em.

but thickness tho, i think its overrated, cuz all the tension rods ive seen that have broke, have snapped at the part where it bolts to the lca.
Nismo brake ducts were ~$200 back when I was importing them

Main reason I increased the thickness was to hold the larger rod end, but as a side benefit it is also thicker around where it bolts to the LCA...
kuah@splparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Also, anyone got pix of the brake ducts mounted? I'd like to see how they mount up, they look pretty sick
Pic of prototype, production pieces are anodized to match the tension rods:

Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #20
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
well thats pretty trick.. =D I might just have to order some once i complete other things and get rid of my teins.. hehe
Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 AM   #21
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
for $25, sheesh, I'll pick up brake ducts too.
TurDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:02 AM   #22
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nrg
do those duct clear 9 inch wide wheels? I'm running 17x9 +15 front wheels.

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #23
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
do those duct clear 9 inch wide wheels? I'm running 17x9 +15 front wheels.
Yup, I prototyped these on my car w/ 17x9. 16" or smaller wheels may require some trimming or bending at the edge of the plate near the wheel.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #24
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Will those brake ducts scrape real easy if the car is lowered beyond 2 inches?
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #25
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14
Will those brake ducts scrape real easy if the car is lowered beyond 2 inches?
There is 4" of ground clearance, the clearance does not change with ride height since it is attached to the tension rod/lower arm. I have had these on my Z since May, I daily drive with them and never had them scrape. I have also gone to about 3 track events since then, had several off track excursions and the brake deflectors are still undamaged. Besides, if they do get damaged you could probably just bend it back, or even replacing it is only $25
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #26
OptionZero
Post Whore!

kuah: thanks for all the info and pix!

It looks like the brake duct sits very close to the rotor; since I am running a q45 brake setup that has a 1-inch bigger rotor than stock, will there be fitment problems? I assume since you are running them on a Z, which also has bigger rotors, there should be no issues...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #27
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Look how big the rotor is in the pic!!!(wow, by the way), you'll have no problems.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 07-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #28
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
kuah: thanks for all the info and pix!

It looks like the brake duct sits very close to the rotor; since I am running a q45 brake setup that has a 1-inch bigger rotor than stock, will there be fitment problems? I assume since you are running them on a Z, which also has bigger rotors, there should be no issues...
Plenty of room The picture is a little deceiving, the deflector is still a few inches away from the brakes.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #29
morpheus8486
Zilvia Member

morpheus8486 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Sweet. I just bought and installed the spl rucas on my s13 and they're amazing. I think the v2's are going to be my next purchase. Keep being awesome.