Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-24-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
evanl85
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
evanl85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long do the automatic trannys last?

Hi, I recently bought a '93 240sx SE coupe, had right under 93k on the clock. The lady who had it took care of it, I have most of the oil change/maintence records. It's a really clean car, minus a dent on the exterior. I got a pretty good deal on the car, but now I'm debating whether or not to keep it. I bought it because I crashed my '04 RSX, and figured it was totalled...well it isn't, and it'll be fixed next week. It didn't even have frame damage, I guess I got lucky? Anyway, my options are keep that, keep making payments, or sell it and save up for a 350z while driving the 240sx.

Anyyyway, what I'm asking is, how long should the 240 be good for? I know the engines are pretty solid, but what about the auto transmissions? I ask about the transmission, because I figure that would be the first thing to go, and I know nothing about automatics, I'm used to driving a stick. It shifts pretty well...though not as smooth as stick (w/ an experienced driver). The fluid level is fine, and the fluid seems fresh/red/doesn't smell bad yet. Can I expect at least 150k out of the tranny before it goes? Sorry for the long story, Thanks in advance.

-Evan
evanl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
old_s13
BANNED

old_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
i drove the living daylights of my auto, it was the original one that came with the car (1 owner and had all records, so i know for sure that it was original). anyway, from 68k to 168k, i drove that auto to the ground. it lasted for 6-7 years in my hands before it started to slip, but still it was durable and once warmed up it was okay.

key thing is to make sure to warm it up gently.. meaning, dont floor the car when its cold, give it a bit of time before you start hammering the car. you can feel when an auto transmission is cold and when its warmed up to temp. do that and it will last a very long time.

then, swap the bitch.
old_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
134K and my auto tranny SUCKS!! At the top of first it slips for a good 1500rpms until droppping into 2nd and nearly bogging at certain speeds. Now as long as the car isn't beat on, it drives fine. But where is the fun on that? I'll be putting in the 5-speed soon.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
evanl85
Zilvia Member

134k? Well, if I make it that far without any problems I'd still be happy. I'm just trying to get about 2-3 years of use out of the car.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
It's been acting like this for the last 3 years. This is just the first time I have the money and ability to swap the transmissions. You should be ok. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
152k and counting... it'll probably come out over the winter though, just because I hate it.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
evanl85
Zilvia Member

^The 240 or just the automatic ? Heh
Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They will last forever if you keep them bathed in fresh Nissan-matic Fluid.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
evanl85
Zilvia Member

How often would you recomend changing the fluid? The fluid in there may be 40k miles old..but it looks fresh.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
IvanAtSPRacing
Leaky Injector

IvanAtSPRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
mine has 227,000 miles on it... but reverse is gone... The new trans is built and sitting at the shop waiting for the car to come out of paint to get put in...
IvanAtSPRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanl85
How often would you recomend changing the fluid? The fluid in there may be 40k miles old..but it looks fresh.
Aslong as It's a nice red color and the level is good you are fine. If it's pink or clear it's time to change. If it's black/brown, it's too late and you have damaged some of the clutch packs. Still need to change it but the damage is done.

Making sure you have the right amount of fluid(Idle in 'N') is the most important part. Nissan Trannys tend to shift like shit if they don't get their Nissan-Matic. They are fussy like babies.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
roast
Leaky Injector

roast is an unknown quantity at this point
192K and still strong.

I'm putting in the 5spd over the winter... :P

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Start amassing the parts for a 5-speed swap now, then drive it til the tranny goes, especially if it is in good enough workable shape... THEN swap to 5-speed

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:09 PM   #14
240silvia
Nissanaholic!

240silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240silvia
SR

Sawp that ish.... auto is NO fun!
240silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #15
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240silvia
Sawp that ish.... auto is NO fun!
Except in traffic...
Old 11-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #16
evanl85
Zilvia Member

I don't really plan on doing a swap...I'm going to swap to a 350z
Old 11-25-2004, 12:23 AM   #17
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanl85
^The 240 or just the automatic ? Heh
Nah just the automatic, I'll keep the 240 until it catches fire.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #18
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
what's auto?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #19
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
Except in traffic...
I still really wouldn't call it "fun" in traffic, just less irritating. lol.

EDIT: to add something halfway useful to this thread, I used to have an auto. I had it from 90k to 170k and I did everything you’re "no supposed to" to it and it took it. Luckily it got rear ended before I had to pay for any of my mistreatment. One thing I did do though was change the fluid every 15k, so I kinda took care of it.

Last edited by driftyour40; 11-25-2004 at 02:09 AM..
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:50 AM   #20
old_s13
BANNED

fact: the auto transmission will handle ANYTHING you dish at it, as long as the power is stock (not turbo). you can shift through the gears and beat the living daylights out of it, just maintain the fluid and warm the car up and you're okay.

suggestion: locate parts for auto -> manual swap now, that way if and when it does leave you, you can swap with ease and bam, ready to go.

fact: auto or stick, you can still learn to be a good driver regardless of the transmission.

fact: most of the people on here who are "pro-stick" are pretty shitty stick drivers. i like stick, i dont necessarily dislike auto but i know the advantages and disadvantages. i know that i learned a lot with auto, and i know that now that i am stick.. i got to focus on a different dynamic of driving. my cousin who has been driving stick much longer than me, cannot even compete with my stick skills now.. he cant heel/toe, he cant rev-match as well, he's just crappier.

so, regardless of what you have.. just focus on being a better driver. its not the parts or the mods, its the driver that should be constantly worked on and upgraded.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:01 AM   #21
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_s13
so, regardless of what you have.. just focus on being a better driver. its not the parts or the mods, its the driver that should be constantly worked on and upgraded.

Well said man.
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #22
evanl85
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful. I should probably change my tranny fluid in a while just to be safe, does anyone know how much the dealership charges for this? It appears I definitely want to use Nissan's fluid, and I don't have anywhere to change it myself.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #23
S14DB
AFC #1

$120-$140 for the full power flush.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:37 AM   #24
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
1990 Coupe: After slipping a little bit (park to drive) for 10,000 miles, my auto shat out at 134K miles. The scary thing is that it had been replaced before that (salvage yard writing on it).

1993 Coupe: When I pulled the blown engine/ good trans, the rebuilt transmission had writing inside the bellhousing that said "8/03". It had 144K miles on the body when I got it in 4/04. So it probably lasted to 130K miles too.

As others have noted, it's all maintenance. If the car wasn't/isn't neglected, the drivetrain will probably last another 200K miles.

The auto transmission sucks for driving enjoyment though. It's not particularly aggressive with upshifts or downshifts -- unless you take active control, it's just 'there'. Judging by his previous posts on spirited driving, I imagine old_s13 slapped the shifter from 1-2-D so much his right wrist/hand developed RSI.

Todd
90 Coupe (KA24DE automatic)
93 Coupe (auto-to-5spd)
sciamop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #25
roast
Leaky Injector

roast is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree: get all the 5spd parts together and then when opportunity knocks slap it in there!

P.S. - I've got all the parts already I'm just wating for a block of time to free up in order to do the work...

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #26
old_s13
BANNED

i shifted throughout the gears and after 5-6 years, the shifter looked worn and glossy.. kinda funny. the only downside to the auto besides being a shitty auto, is that you end up keeping your revs up most of the time and drive like a maniac in order to keep the power up. you burn lots of gas but shit, i still managed to have fun. i say throw on some wide and sticky tires and ride the auto till it dies.. you can have fun with lots of traction
Old 11-26-2004, 07:15 PM   #27
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_s13
you burn lots of gas but shit, i still managed to have fun.
I remember you whining about not getting more than 15mpg...
lol
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #28
Zen S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
Zen S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
The auto tranny in my s14 has held up quite well. At 150K with one year on turbo motor daily driven with 20 drag races and more than 100 runs its just fine. I did have to unplug the resister to get the car to shift quickly under boost though. I think the auto tranny, if the fluids are taken care of and not heavily abused will last.
Zen S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 PM   #29
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
auto's have their place... in trucks. most of us that actually tinker with our own cars are motorsport whores so the auto is like heresy. i'm buying a truck next year and it'll be an auto cause long trips, late nights, and traffic make the 5spd eat arse.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote