Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
95se
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
95se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full paint job

My car was totaled for front end damage that insurance estimated at 4100 and I had a previous claim on the rear bumper that I hadn't gone through with. My state farm agent talked to the claims dept about my claims and she told me that they said they valued the car at 4570 and I would get 3950 after buying it back. I haven't called the total loss dept rep back yet but I plan on trying to get a little more or see if they can not total it and just give me 3900 if I agree to not file any supplements if more damage is found. The estimate on the previous claim on the rear was 750 so I would get back around 4650 total. Since there are clear coat issues elsewhere on the car I am wondering how much more it would cost to paint the whole car. I have saved about $500 so far on used light assemblies and used fender. I could hold the cost down more by getting aftermarket hood and bumper.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It depends entirely who's painting it and how good of a job they are planning to do. You could get a quote of $400 or a quote of $4000. If it's a collision shop they will generally cut some corners to expedite the job especially if it's an older cheap car like a 240sx. One thing you could do to save money and get a better paint job is do some of the prep yourself- cleaning, window and trim removal, block sanding the old paint off etc.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I'm glad the insurance company is coming through for you, man. I remember when you first posted about this. Keep me updated on who you use, 95se. Allstate just cut me a check for about $2700 for hail damage & I'm debating what to do with it.

Right now, I'm looking into how to make a diy duplicolor paintjob look halfway decent.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post

Right now, I'm looking into how to make a diy duplicolor paintjob look halfway decent.
It's not worth the time wasted. Get a cheap harbor freight spray gun for $12 and summit racing epoxy primer and single stage paint at the very least.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Seriously you can get decent single stage kits for like 2-300. A harbor freight gun and a little practice will do wonders.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
95se
Zilvia Junkie

So working with the numbers on aftermarket or remanufactured parts and the used parts for the light assemblies that I've already gotten I think I can save about 1500. Adding $500 for core support and interior sheet metal damage so estimate would start at about 4600 for the front and after saving on parts I came up with 3105. I get 3930 from insurance so have additional 830. Now thats with the assumption that insurance didn't include core support and sheet metal damage under the hood. Then I get 750 for the rear damage which includes paint. I wonder if I took that to a body shop they could work with me on getting whole car painted for not much more out of my own pocket??
Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Usually they can work with you but it will depend on the shop. I hope it all works out for you bud. BTW, what insurance are you using?
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
95se
Zilvia Junkie

i have state farm.. i need to talk to the total loss dept rep and wonder if they'll work with me on possibly not totaling it since what my agent says they are giving is not much less than the estimate.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

What is the rear damage? If it's at all on the quarters then the whole car has to be resprayed regardless.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
95se
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
What is the rear damage? If it's at all on the quarters then the whole car has to be resprayed regardless.
yes there are issues with the quarters and roof so whole car needs to painted but the estimate for rear of course just covers paint for the bumper. So basically i guess I have to figure out how much it will cost to paint everything besides the front of the car which I'll need to come up with.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
LI NY 240sx
Leaky Injector

LI NY 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't accept their first offer. Send them ads from craigslist in your area so they see how much they are going for.
LI NY 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
95se
Zilvia Junkie

Well, the adjuster said they go by NADA so would they even consider craigslist ads? I haven't really found anything similar to mine which is mostly stock and all the ones on cl and ebay have been modded..
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
LI NY 240sx
Leaky Injector

LI NY 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually it's fair market value which would be what the car is going for in your area. I guess it will be hard to find one similar to yours at this point. They may come up a bit if you push. I don't think the NADA/blue book value takes the rare factor into account.
LI NY 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
95se
Zilvia Junkie

I guess I'll just have to try. I would like them just not to total it. The estimated damage is $347 over the 80% value. I mean just the fog light that I don't need totaled it. I had estimate done from couple of shops and that fog light alone was 438. I will tell them the options I have on it as well like abs, vlsd and special ed leather packages which are pretty rare and also some of my stereo equipment and few aftermarket parts. Though, I am glad they use nada and not kbb because its much higher.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I work for an insurance company and I can tell you for a fact that NADA/Blue Book does not account for the rarity. Build a case by showing examples of actual value vs market value. The more data you can provide the better your chances. Be persistent about it and keep records of everything you send them. As far as the quote....shop around. $438 seems oddly high unless they are going straight to the dealer for it.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
95se
Zilvia Junkie

ok i will.. the total loss rep will call me tomorrow. I have a previous claim on the rear bumper from 2013 as well which I called the team handeling that one tonight to ask them would the estimate on that lower my payout and she said I would have to talk to the total loss claim rep about that. So that might complicate things more though they are two totally separate claims.

I had several estimates done and the body shops just wrote everything up with new parts with markup. The estimates were all the same. I have got used light assemblies and a used fender. I plan on asking the body shops to use aftermarket parts for the hood and bumper parts to hold the cost down and maybe with the savings and little more money I can just paint the whole car.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It will cost a few grand to repaint the car. The collision center will still want to de trim the car if they are a quality place.... It's not worth it... I got an estimate when someone hit my quarter panel and they charged me a fee because I started to sand and prep the car. I don't know why but they did. I told them "it was prepped and ready for paint before this bitch hit it and now you charging me because I did the prep work???".. They didn't know what to say. But dude just buy some shop line paint from ppg and paint it yourself or find a homie to do it
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #18
Mota_s13

Mota_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a one stage it shouldnt be so much ... Way better than spray can.... Wat dis you use to prep the car?
Mota_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95se View Post
I had several estimates done and the body shops just wrote everything up with new parts with markup. The estimates were all the same. I have got used light assemblies and a used fender. I plan on asking the body shops to use aftermarket parts for the hood and bumper parts to hold the cost down and maybe with the savings and little more money I can just paint the whole car.
Make sure you are using a trustworthy shop if you go that route. They may or may not warn you, but aftermarket parts could cost more than stock stuff to have a body shop put it on. Lets say they get a bumper for $200 less than you can find one, they could easily charge you 8hrs of labor (at ~$60/hr) to make it fit right... If you know anything about body work, I strongly suggest you do as much of the body work as possible. You could probably find someone to spray your car for fairly cheap, but body work/prep work adds up fast.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote