Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
squeeling sound when i cut the wheel and go forward slowly?

ok guysi noticed something with my 1990 240. if i have the wheel cut al the way to the right (i havent noticed the left yet) my car makes this loud humming/ squeeking sound (kinda alot like when you lick your finger and move it around a wineglass rim only slightly higher pitched) anyone have any idea what that is? my friend also has a 1990 with the same problem. it sounds as if it were a stuck caliper but thats not it because its only when the wheels cut and hes replaced all his calipers and still has the sound. mine are probabbly good too also based o nthe fact that there is only 68kmiles on the car... any ideas?
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
ftrs13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ftrs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ftrs13
power steering pump I believe. we had that problem on my 66 mustang.
ftrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
hmmm... really? the car doesnt whine at all from the pump... i also noticed that i seem to be getting like a loud rubber squeeking sound mixed with running your nails on a windbreaker sound from the steering wheel but i think its just some plastic rubbing on this inside but i dunno... maybe its some sort of a noise coming from the rack or something similar? its only an annoyance it doesnt seem to be any real problem...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yeah check the pump. Do you hear it squealing at idle when you pop the hood? Use an auto stethoscope to pinpoint any squeal you've got when under the hood.

Also it could be your rack. Just a tip it's not a good idea to fully lock your wheel either way. It puts undue strees on the seals in the rack causing them to wear prematurely. Do you have any leaks in your steering system? That's a big sign of wearing seals. Worn seals means worn rack. Keep locking it out either way and the rack will go out, guaranteed.

Oh I forgot, CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVEL FIRST!! Make sure it's full before you proceed. Sometimes it's something really simple.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

it only happens when the wheel is cut and i move too, it wont happen from just turning the wheel so i dont think its the pump. i do have plenty of fluid though lol i changed almost all the fluids in this car as soon as i got it. its almost as if ive got something im hitting and dragging against when the wheel is at lock on either side... ive never heard of bringing the wheel to lock being a real problem before though... i would think just driving aggressively would do wear in it self i never thought of lock being an issue.

Last edited by tastyratz; 07-29-2004 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: double post to your double post lol oops
Old 07-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Also I just remembered. There's kind of a rule for racks. NEVER hold the lock out more than 15 seconds! And really your shouldn't hold it for more than 5 but that's just my opinion.