Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
SLiguykyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SLiguykyle Send a message via MSN to SLiguykyle Send a message via Yahoo to SLiguykyle
Question S13 "racecar" windshield defroster?

hi, so my S13 has no heatercore/blowermotor at all (had to take them all out for several reasons) and i don't really feel like putting another in there. I come here to ask if anyone has any alternative methods for defrosting a front windshield? (using a t-shirt works fine enough but still sucks lol) ideally i would love something like the rear window but without the wires running across the glass... but i don't think that's possible. what do track-car people use when the traditional method is not an option? is there any universal aftermarket methods? I would definitely prefer an electrical method of doing this if it's possible. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Just put the OEM heater back in or don't drive in the cold weather.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Do you mean de-fog?
Open the sunroof.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

Send a message via AIM to SLiguykyle Send a message via MSN to SLiguykyle Send a message via Yahoo to SLiguykyle
yes defog, and i don't have a sunroof. i've been cracking my windows a bit kuz it seems to help a little but it doesn't help enough is there really no alternative to the oem?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Try shaving cream I believe it is. You just cover the window in it and wipe it. Not 100% sure if this works though, just a rumor I've heard. Worth a shot tho.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

i was intrigued by your shaving cream method so i did some research on that. and what i found seemed to be that something called carnauba (or something like that) wax is supposed to work well? i may look into some sort of application like that though. shaving cream might be smart to try since i don't really shave and have 2 bottles sitting in my bathroom LOL. free? yes please. but if you have any other ideas, please let me know. does anyone make a hydrophobic-treated windshield for these cars? that would be pretty awesome. and permanent.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
There are 12v heaters that are intended for cars that dont make good heat quick enough or just enough in general (older diesels). I dont see why one cannot be mounted in your dash facing up and be switched on. They are not very expensive at all.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Purestock240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
Purestock240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i'm pretty sure there is a spray you can use. probably sold at advance or pepboys ( sold at canadian tire here) and usually sitting near the rain X
Purestock240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

will definitely look into the 12v heater things. that sounds like my favorite idea so far, as long as it's not super bulky, and i hope they don't need a cig lighter (cut the wires and put it on battery maybe?) since i don't have one. thanks for all these heads up guys hopefully i can find a solution soon
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
zspeedrft
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (54)
zspeedrft is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Fog be gone.....makers of rain x..
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
jackasspyro2
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
jackasspyro2 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rainx stuff sucks.so does app the other anti fog stuff sold at auto stores.my best exp has been with shaving cream and keeping the windows down all the time.

I daily gutted awsumness so this is first hand exp.

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
jackasspyro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
flatout
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
flatout is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Theres a guy on here that was talking about using the 12v heaters in his s15 that he tracks. Probably the same think I will be looking into when the time comes...just wire them to a switch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
flatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Chuki_KA24e
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chuki_KA24e is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those 12v defrosters are fucking useless. I tried two different models some time ago on an old Mazda 323 I had with no heater core. I would go through a whole gallon of winter washer fluid on the way to work in the morning while also scraping the inside of my windshield at the same time. Needless to say I took a bit of time and put in a new core.
Chuki_KA24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
I don't get why you guys are trying to eliminate the heater core? It barely weighs anything at all, I'd much rather deal with the extra few pounds (if that) than freeze my ass off and get sick, or not be able to see through the window and crash and potentially hurt/kill myself.

The heater core weighs what, like a few pounds? Then you want to throw in a 12V heater? That heater probably weighs the same if not more.

Before you start arguing with me that it's a race car, and real race cars don't have heater, Take a look at this picture, specifically in the red circle:

That's the interior of the Audi R18 etron which won Le Mans. If having a heater in the car is good enough for Le Mans and Audi's racing program it's good enough for me.
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not to mention the heater is a great secondary "radiator" for those hot track days. I know I've seen a few touge/time attack videos of turbo'd cars vs. na cars with cameras in the cockpit where the driver of the turbo'd car used his heater to keep his temps agreeable throughout the race. Obviously you already removed your heater core since you're here asking for an easy fix, but I think this may be one of those things that after awhile of trial and error with all these quick fixes that are temporary, you will probably just end up putting a heater core back in it out of frustration. Hell, just keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol or methenol in a spray bottle and a rag that you can squirt on the inside of the winshield, iirc, winshield wiper fluid has methenol in it, which helps with that quick defrost. But I've had a few jack and cokes at this point and I'm just regurgitating snippets from other threads that I vaguely perused through. It doesn't seem that there is a painless tried and true tested replacement for a heater core. I apologize for shitting up this thread with my 2:40 am drunken ramblings. That is all.

Last edited by ShadowMan; 12-08-2012 at 02:50 PM..
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
http://www.meijer.com/s/koolatron-12...t&kpid=401-060
12v heater thing... I dont have windows so this normally doesnt bother me much, if there is any frost from just sitting, I have a mini squidgy in the car for the inside of the windshield.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki_KA24e View Post
Those 12v defrosters are fucking useless. I tried two different models some time ago on an old Mazda 323 I had with no heater core. I would go through a whole gallon of winter washer fluid on the way to work in the morning while also scraping the inside of my windshield at the same time. Needless to say I took a bit of time and put in a new core.
Totally agree. Used to have one in an old Beetle. It was awful

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
SLiguykyle
Leaky Injector

Exclamation guess i'll be in tha market for the OEM crap soon :(

ok so i tried the rain x type stuff with mild success. not good enough though. posted on in the WTB for an OEM heatercore. to answer the reasoning behind removing it, well.... it was uhhhhh... infested with cockroaches and eggs. they're gone now but so is my entire interior and many components that had to be discarded. (not that i thought it would matter since it's mostly a track car but still. cold weather and no defroster sucks) i'm not even gonna play with that 12v heater stuff. no cigarette lighter outlets, and plus.. thats for gunsafes... hahahaha. i totally agree with having the oem defroster, was just looking for an alternative to see if there were any to avoid having to put it back in (PITA) :/ and also. the sqweegy thing doesn't really work. my windshield fogs up every 50yards when driving around here haha (i work nights)