Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
sherlockhomeboy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sherlockhomeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
PDM Stage 2 vs. BC 264 vs. JWT S1 Cams ???

Hello everyone, so I have decided to remain N/A atleast for the time being, and go with a moderate, pretty much all bolt on build. Considering my 240 is my daily and I drive alot, I am in the market for some slightly buffer cams that are still comparable with daily driving. After a few days of browsing around and researching I have narrowed myself down to some BC 264 cams, the PDM racing stage 2's, or the JWT S1 cams. I am aware that supporting mods come into play significantly to get the full experience of the cams. Upon installing the cams, I plan on rebuilding the topend of my DOHC which now has 194,000 miles on it, and I am thinking of purchasing the Xcessive Intake Manifold, removing the EGR, and installing some Headers, i'm getting from a friend (I believe are Hotshot), and I already have an HKS 3inch sports exhaust. I am still in deep debate however in which Cams I want to go with, I have ready pretty positive things on all of them, except for some issues of the BC 264's having an issue in fitting them in. But for the most part I have read all positive things, I am slightly leaning towards the PDM Stage 2's as they seem really promising. I would like to hear everyones input and opinions on these cams, and maybe added input on my build. I am not really looking for some insane numbers, just some noticeable gains and some pretty buff throttle response, I originally wanted to go with ITBs, but where I live I'd just be begging for a ticket. haha

So please I don't want this to turn into a cam heated debate, but I could really use some assistance in aiding my decision.
Thanks
sherlockhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
If you're going with a big boy intake manifold, expect to spin some RPM to take advantage of it all. With that said, the S1 cams do work very well The only reason people consider BC stuff is rthat they are cheap as ramen noodles (and much like ramen noodles, if you are content with eating crappy non flavored noodle, then it's for you)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
sherlockhomeboy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sherlockhomeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Thanks man, Yeh I've really been considering the S1's and the PDM Stage 2's, just got to obtain the fundage. haha
sherlockhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
S3 cams are low enough lift to use the OEM valve springs, and they offer considerable duration for the upper RPM range of the OEM bottom end components of the SR20DET engine.

if your power goal is 300-400 horsepower, I would recommend S3 cams, you can upgrade the springs also but it is unnecessary if you keep the rpms reasonable.

This is for an SR20DET engine. If you are KA or SR20DE then I would not touch the camshafts if this is a daily driver.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote