Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
TRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TRUENOCOUPE
D1GP "USA" Regulation and Rules.

http://d1gp.com/rules.html

Whats your take on the rules?

Heres what I don't get.
---4WD cars are not permitted.---
I don't have 4WD car but if anyone can pull it off as Rhys Millen to drift a 4WD then why not?

----All cars must be registered as street legal and must have valid license plate.----

To all that knows me personally other than "TC IS A DICK OVER THE NET". What I have done with my car so far and what's going to be done on my car on the future. I can't even think twice of trying to register the car for the street.

-TNO
TRUENOCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
I believe the AWD ban is enforced in japan as well. Some of the rules are pretty stupid though like no unauthorized stickers on your windows...wth is that?
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

TRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZO
I believe the AWD ban is enforced in japan as well. Some of the rules are pretty stupid though like no unauthorized stickers on your windows...wth is that?
Im guessing, If you are sponsored then they have to GTG with D1GP?

Ill post this at Club4ag as well. Maybe Moto can help.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
Check the racing forum, I think he just recently made a new sticky about it.
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
balmo
Zilvia Junkie

balmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to balmo
"d1gp rules killed the privateer star."
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
i hate d1.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSlut
D1 does suck a fat nutsack. The rules are basically interpretations of the japanese rules, but japan has different laws than US. Taniguchi's S15 is street legal. So is every D1 car. NOEN of them would be legal in the US. So.... the US drivers have to drive a US-legal car, and compete against the Japan guys with Japan-legal cars... Fucktarded...

And the sticker thing? WTF^^ Mate? That is stupid as fuck.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
DoriftoSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
dragndrifter23x
Leaky Injector

dragndrifter23x is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dragndrifter23x
D1 doesn't suck, but the US D1 sux...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragndrifter23x
D1 doesn't suck, but the US D1 sux...
no d1gp japan sucks too
haha
wwf baby!
the real fun is BM Hai events and Advan Drift meetings
for some reason teh D1GP drivers DONT win in those events,. haha..why? no politics or bias. just drifting.

anyways, its all in good fun. d1gp is fun to watch but i wouldnt go much more then that. its all good. drifting is entertaining
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
dragndrifter23x
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
no d1gp japan sucks too
haha
wwf baby!
the real fun is BM Hai events and Advan Drift meetings
for some reason teh D1GP drivers DONT win in those events,. haha..why? no politics or bias. just drifting.

anyways, its all in good fun. d1gp is fun to watch but i wouldnt go much more then that. its all good. drifting is entertaining
Okae, fuq wwf, and d1gp(US), mXc baybee! Don't get ELIMINATED! Especially when the contestant is getting chased in the maze by two uglee lookin people. Even more entertaining than drifting/crashes and body slams and the peoples elbow!

Last edited by dragndrifter23x; 01-27-2004 at 11:32 AM..
dragndrifter23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
NekoPunch
Leaky Injector

NekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriftoSlut
So.... the US drivers have to drive a US-legal car, and compete against the Japan guys with Japan-legal cars...
I don't see this being a big issue. It says you have to be registered w/ a valid plate. Doesn't mean the car will stay exactly street legal when it shows up at the track. Japanese D1 cars also have to pass strict regs regarding ride height, allowable exhaust dB levels, emissions, etc.

D1 in Japan has always had a political aspect, and they've never tried to hide that. Have you guys ever seen the list of requirements to compete in a D1 event in Japan? I don't remember the whole list (I'll dig it up sometime), but here are a few...

-you must have finished in top place at a major regional drifting competition
-you must have a car which is highly tuned
-you must be recommended by two current D1 drivers
-you must have a good personality and not be "greedy"
-Tsuchiya and Orido must "like" you

Just like Ikaten, D1 has always been a means of selling videos, but it's now progressively growing to something much bigger than that.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL WTF IS THIS TRASH.

How the hell do they expect to be taken seriously when something as official as the "rules" are so poorly written, full of loopholes and non-specific. Lets not get into how many fucking STREET LEGAL?!!?!? cars are going to have a full "nascar" style cage installed, or the multitude of other provisions such as a fuel cell...

AND HEY! Since the cars are all street legal...WHY THE FUCK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BRAKE LIGHTS!?!!!
DOT says you have to have 3 lights already, so why in the FUCK is there even MENTION of having only one operational brake light?

Godamn fucking bunch of morons
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

I guess I have to change my car to another car. which can compete "street legally".

RX7 Maybe?

btw: I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx247
LOL WTF IS THIS TRASH.

How the hell do they expect to be taken seriously when something as official as the "rules" are so poorly written, full of loopholes and non-specific. Lets not get into how many fucking STREET LEGAL?!!?!? cars are going to have a full "nascar" style cage installed, or the multitude of other provisions such as a fuel cell...

AND HEY! Since the cars are all street legal...WHY THE FUCK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BRAKE LIGHTS!?!!!
DOT says you have to have 3 lights already, so why in the FUCK is there even MENTION of having only one operational brake light?

Godamn fucking bunch of morons
Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #14
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Yeah its not a Big Issue for anyone that don't want to compete on D1 or for people that like to get credits for pics or vids only. I know I would like to compete in D1. Its has been my dream ever since 1994 or so.

Take a look at Ueo's cars for a moment. Theres is NO WAY he can drive that car on CALI. I live in CALI thats one thing. "It has to have a valid plate and "STREET Registered".

Ok... I can probably think that out since I have couple of AE86 thats registered. Thats not my point tho. My point is why? I mean, US cars can not compete with Japan cars being CALI STREET LEGAL.

Drifting is lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoPunch
I don't see this being a big issue. It says you have to be registered w/ a valid plate. Doesn't mean the car will stay exactly street legal when it shows up at the track. Japanese D1 cars also have to pass strict regs regarding ride height, allowable exhaust dB levels, emissions, etc.

D1 in Japan has always had a political aspect, and they've never tried to hide that. Have you guys ever seen the list of requirements to compete in a D1 event in Japan? I don't remember the whole list (I'll dig it up sometime), but here are a few...

-you must have finished in top place at a major regional drifting competition
-you must have a car which is highly tuned
-you must be recommended by two current D1 drivers
-you must have a good personality and not be "greedy"
-Tsuchiya and Orido must "like" you

Just like Ikaten, D1 has always been a means of selling videos, but it's now progressively growing to something much bigger than that.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #15
NekoPunch
Leaky Injector

NekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant futureNekoPunch has a brilliant future
Quote:
LOL WTF IS THIS TRASH.

How the hell do they expect to be taken seriously when something as official as the "rules" are so poorly written, full of loopholes and non-specific. Lets not get into how many fucking STREET LEGAL?!!?!?
IMO, it's because in Japan they don't take this whole thing as seriously as some people here do. Japanese society is totally different from American society, i.e. everything is about connections and who you know. So rules like those would be perfectly normal for a Japanese person.

Quote:
Because when you're writing regulations and obtaining insurance coverage for a motorsports event, you can't simply assume they'll know all the rules. You have to spell it out exactly. They mentioned brake lights because the track requires it. They didn't mention that you needed to keep stock airbags in the car (even though the law prohibits tampering with them), because it's not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUENOCOUPE
Take a look at Ueo's cars for a moment. Theres is NO WAY he can drive that car on CALI. I live in CALI thats one thing. "It has to have a valid plate and "STREET Registered".
The rules SAY that you need a valid plate and registration. The rules DO NOT say that the vehicle must be "in a completely street legal state and form" at the time of the event. The important rules are the rules that are listed, so those are the ones you should follow when you try to enter your car in the event.

Ueo's car is registered w/ valid plates in Japan, just like all the D1 cars. They all put in silencers, jack up their coilovers, tweak their fuel curves, etc. to pass the inspection. ANY car here (including Ernie Fixmer, Ken Gushi, etc.) can do the same, so what's the big deal? What is this, Japan versus U.S. or something?

Why would they require registration and plates, even though it's OBVIOUS that most cars won't be driving in totally U.S./Japan "street legal" form? It was probably something that the insurance company required. You'll find that autocross events typically have a similar requirement if you closely read their event guidelines.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:51 PM   #16
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
IMO, it's because in Japan they don't take this whole thing as seriously as some people here do. Japanese society is totally different from American society, i.e. everything is about connections and who you know. So rules like those would be perfectly normal for a Japanese person.
What did you mean by Japan do not take this whole thing seriously. Are you speaking of The rules or drifting. IMO. They do.

Quote:
Because when you're writing regulations and obtaining insurance coverage for a motorsports event, you can't simply assume they'll know all the rules. You have to spell it out exactly. They mentioned brake lights because the track requires it. They didn't mention that you needed to keep stock airbags in the car (even though the law prohibits tampering with them), because it's not an issue.

The rules SAY that you need a valid plate and registration. The rules DO NOT say that the vehicle must be "in a completely street legal state and form" at the time of the event. The important rules are the rules that are listed, so those are the ones you should follow when you try to enter your car in the event.
OK. Point taken but its still not CA Street Legal. Its pointed that "Its has be to street registered". So... Are we technically speaking of cheating here?
By the time of the event we can swap the motors out, Cage installed, etc?
Just put yourself as an AE86 owner if you have any clue what needs to be down with an AE86 just to compete with 240SX. 16V are POS low powered motors. By ading little things as in cams, stupid Intake isn't going to cut it.

Not even my stock 20V is going to cut it. Note that also 20V never came to US.

Quote:
Ueo's car is registered w/ valid plates in Japan, just like all the D1 cars. They all put in silencers, jack up their coilovers, tweak their fuel curves, etc. to pass the inspection. ANY car here (including Ernie Fixmer, Ken Gushi, etc.) can do the same, so what's the big deal? What is this, Japan versus U.S. or something?
My point exactly. Its cheating. Just to maintain the "CALI PLATES" you'll have to cheat. I guess the fun is out of the question.

US vs Japan? No. Its the basic rules that can not apply with US cause we all know that US can not compete of that Japan cars or the D1 cars thats supposed to be "Street Legal". I highly doubt that most of the cars are street legal. As a fine example. The US Apexie RX7. Thats street legal alright. < roll eyes >

Quote:
Why would they require registration and plates, even though it's OBVIOUS that most cars won't be driving in totally U.S./Japan "street legal" form? It was probably something that the insurance company required. You'll find that autocross events typically have a similar requirement if you closely read their event guidelines.
Are you asking me? This is why I ask the question on the first place.

IMO. Its not fair. I can work around these rules. Its just something to chit chat around here.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:40 PM   #17
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
i thought we agreed that d1 sucks
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #18
NekoPunch
Leaky Injector

Quote:
What did you mean by Japan do not take this whole thing seriously. Are you speaking of The rules or drifting. IMO. They do.
I was speaking about the rules as well as drifting. I didn't say that they don't take it seriously. I said that they don't take it as seriously as some people here do.

I go to Japan at least once a year, with many friends there, been to D1 there, hit the drifting spots there, etc., BUT I have NEVER seen or heard them freaking out about drifting and D1 rules and whatnot like I have seen people here freak out. I've also never seen people run out onto the track to grab stuff after a car has crashed at an event. Or people running around the pits grabbing and trying to steal stuff everywhere. But I digress...

Quote:
OK. Point taken but its still not CA Street Legal.
Neither is my car. I drive my car with legal registration and plates in WA State, but it's definitely not street legal in Cali. Big deal.

Quote:
Its pointed that "Its has be to street registered". So... Are we technically speaking of cheating here?
No, I don't think so. You can follow the rules EXACTLY, and still DRIVE a car in the event which technically is NOT street legal. NOTHING in the rules prevents that. You need a registration, plates, catalytic converter, roll cage, fire suit, etc., just like the rules clearly state.

Quote:
By the time of the event we can swap the motors out, Cage installed, etc?
The rules don't say that you have to get your registration and plates the day before the event. If you're not able to get plates well in advance for your project car, that's your problem not everybody else's.

Quote:
Not even my stock 20V is going to cut it. Note that also 20V never came to US.
Yeah, like a guy I know up here in Seattle who just dyno'd a whopping 123 RWHP with his 20V running e-manage.

Quote:
My point exactly. Its cheating. Just to maintain the "CALI PLATES" you'll have to cheat. I guess the fun is out of the question.
IMO, it's NOT cheating. You get your plates, you prep your car, you go to the event. Who can't figure this out??!! Everyone in Japan does the exact same thing b/c regulations are just as strict over there.

Quote:
Japan cars or the D1 cars thats supposed to be "Street Legal". I highly doubt that most of the cars are street legal.
The rules don't say that they have to be, not while competing at least.

I'll say it one more time: The rules don't say that the car has to be totally 100% street legal at the time it competes in the event. Is that too difficult to understand???

Quote:
Are you asking me? This is why I ask the question on the first place.
No, I was asking a question and then providing the answer. I'll rephrase...

Here is a possible reason why valid registration and plates are required: Because the insurance company and/or the track required it. How do I know this? Well, since I'm NOT the kind of guy "who likes to get credits for pics and vids only", I also have also been planning and organizing drift events. I've had to work with the insurance companies and track owners on their requirements for these events...

The insurance companies and track owners usually want to restrict events to cars which are legally registered with valid license plates. Why? Well, the reasons are pretty complex and since you're already having trouble understanding the D1 rules I'm not sure if it's worth the time to try to go into here. But the main reason has to do with liability issues and the fact that they want to avoid being sued for an incident occurring prior to, during, or after the event. If the car is registered then it helps to place some of the responsibility on the owner as well as the driver of the car.

Quote:
IMO. Its not fair.
Life isn't fair. LOL.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #19
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I'll say it one more time: The rules don't say that the car has to be totally 100% street legal at the time it competes in the event. Is that too difficult to understand???
Did you read the http://d1gp.com/rules.html ....?

It clearly says...

All cars must be registered as street legal and must have valid license plate.

What part of "street legal and must have a valid license plate" you don't understand?

So... you get your plates. You do the smog. You do the things to get a "CALI" plates. Im techically speaking CALI cars here.
Thats street legal. Can you be able to compete in D1 with the "street legal" car? HELL FUCKING NO.

So tell me what I don't understand. IMO Its cheating.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #20
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Neko, being taken seriously by other racing organizations in the US is very important. If no one is willing to rent a track to drifters or to allow drifting on the track, where are you going to run? Who is going to insure drift events? AAA? State Farm? Co-sign on your moms policy? lol.

Its imperative that any drift organization peacefully co-exist with already established racing communities in the US or these "up and comers" are going to find themselves without the means to run events.

Track owners care if your car is street legal or validly registered? HUH?
Thats the last thing they care about, thats the whole point of going to the track! So I can take my open header, lumpy ass race cam, slick tires, tube frame race car and drive it somewhere. Any organization that tells me outright that I need to break the LAW to compete in their events can stuff it.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #21
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeswepromise
i thought we agreed that d1 sucks
connect the dots..la la la..
Old 02-04-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
NekoPunch
Leaky Injector

Yeah you guys, this argument is just getting stupid. I think that the rule means one thing, but you think it means something else. I DON'T think the car HAS to be street legal (it only needs tabs and plate) AT the event, you think it DOES need to be street legal in order to run or else it is cheating. I know WHY the insurance companies REQUIRE that the cars have tabs/plates at drift/autoX/roadrace/enduro events even though they DON'T expect that each car will be 100% street legal at these events, but you think it's because they WANT every car in the event to be totally street legal. We can disagree and that's just fine. Better for us to QUIT now rather than spend one more minute arguing. Sorry to waste your time...
Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #23
dragndrifter23x
Leaky Injector

but seriously...why is D1 so strict?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #24
NekoPunch
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokeone
connect the dots..la la la..
Crap, now I can't get Pee Wee Herman's stinkin voice out of my head.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #25
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Yeah you guys, this argument is just getting stupid. I think that the rule means one thing, but you think it means something else. I DON'T think the car HAS to be street legal (it only needs tabs and plate) AT the event, you think it DOES need to be street legal in order to run or else it is cheating. I know WHY the insurance companies REQUIRE that the cars have tabs/plates at drift/autoX/roadrace/enduro events even though they DON'T expect that each car will be 100% street legal at these events, but you think it's because they WANT every car in the event to be totally street legal. We can disagree and that's just fine. Better for us to QUIT now rather than spend one more minute arguing. Sorry to waste your time...
The rules advocate breaking the law by forcing you to have an illegally registered car to compete in the events. How much more difficult could this be to comprehend?

And you are still missing the point here...Insurance companies don't require you to have a street registered car to run on the track or in Autox. THEY DON'T REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE A LEGALLY REGISTERED CAR TO COMPETE IN TRACK EVENTS!

You are misinterpreting the problem here.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #26
shimos

shimos is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you guys tried emailing the D1 association through their website? The Drift Session guys had an issue with the D1 roll bar requirements so we sent an email to ask questions. Instead of answering our email, they just changed the requirements to what we wanted to see. Easy solution. If you let them know your issue with the registration, maybe they'll just change that rule too. I'm sure they'd like to include as many US drivers as possible.
shimos is offline   Reply With Quote