Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
Seizing skylines

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

Full size
CAR CRIME

Feds launch new crackdown against Nissan Skyline owners

Justin Hyde — The owner of one of the nation's largest forums for Nissan Skyline fans got a call three weeks ago from his wife, telling him that Homeland Security agents were on their doorstep looking to seize his Skylines. Their goal? "To get them off the road."

Since Nissan never legally sold the Skyline in the United States, those that are in the country had to pass a maze of federal standards for emissions and safety, including crash tests. Thanks to the failure of an importer who didn't perform the proper test, only a small run of Skylines from 1996 to 1998 can be legally brought to the United States, and many that were originally OK'd for import later had their papers pulled. Those cars are contraband as far as the U.S. government cares — even if they were considered legal when their current owners bought them — and there's nothing current owners can do to make them legal

The proprietor of the SkylineOwners USA says he was expecting the worst when he got home on Feb. 11, but found just two Immigrations and Customs agents. What was more confusing was the agent's info:

It was evident that someone somewhere had passed on some bum scoop, that I was running a business with the sole intent of trafficking illegal non-conforming vehicles into the U.S. by the dozens. In addition they were under the assumption that I possessed a warehouse where I kept all of the vehicles and also did all my automotive repair and modification work at.

The owner, known as Vandrel, had just two Skylines; one that's old enough to be exempt from vehicle import rules, and another for which he had extensive paperwork. After their visit, the customs agents called Vandrel back to say his second Skyline had been deemed illicit, and they would return to seize it on Tuesday.

But when they came back, Vandrel had a surprise for them:

I made it very clear that my intent was to retain ownership for the time being and export the vehicle from the country, and that I had already made arrangements for a sale to be conducted as well as export of the vehicle, which of course shocked them completely since all past Skylines seized were not owned by someone who carried the ability to execute an export on the spot. With no car and no material items left in my possession that would cause me to worry about being questioned or investigated by the federal government any further, I now have nothing to lose by challenging them and I intend to do so to the fullest of my abilities and resources.

The move has motivated the Skyline community, but also raised the eternal question of whether such pursuits are the best use of government resources. We've left a message with Homeland Security, but the answer to why agents are tracking down every last Skyline may be the ages-old one: Because they can.
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's ballin. Not the taken Skyline part, but the instant exporting of the second one.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
our government loves to waste time on silly bullshit. i feel like this kind of thing, the war on drugs, speeding tickets... are easy ways for government workers to do a job without putting themselves in harm's way.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No wonder I've been seeing a lot of skylines popping up for sale.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
SinGarage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
SinGarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
This really sucks as for the people who would actually love to import one for really "off road use only". Been thinking about getting as strictly as a track car but even my import/export agents don't even want to touch it with a 10 ft pole. It is a lot easier bringing in full race GT2/GT3 Cup car from Germany than a Skyline. Go figure.
SinGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
RiversideS13
Zilvia FREAK!

RiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond reputeRiversideS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RiversideS13
waste of our tax money...
RiversideS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
our government loves to waste time on silly bullshit. i feel like this kind of thing, the war on drugs, speeding tickets... are easy ways for government workers to do a job without putting themselves in harm's way.
which means that every job the government does besides run the military is unnecessary. viva la ayn rand 2011
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
nismolvr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
nismolvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
HLS fighting Terrorism

HLS is wasting valuable resources on the wrong witch hunt. Its messed up , . I personally got fired because I was the only US citizen with legal documentation working with a construction crew that consisted of 98% illegals! . Whats even worse , It was @ an AFB in California. I complained about unsafe working conditions a couple of times . I worked on the Base for six months last year and ,I show up to work the first week of the year , @ check point they told me ,USAF was OK with me working there , that wasnt a prob . It was my employer who declined me working for them. Guess I wasnt falling inline like the rest.No dis respect to the illegals they work hard , hell I do to .I have a family just like them. All Im saying is Americans should hire Americans. Before anyone says Im Racist against Illegals , How Can I be when Im Mexican/American myself?

Anyways , I dropted a dime on all of em . Called HLS and pointed them in the right direction.Beggining with the Crappy Union who accepts everybodys paperwork a legal citizenship Documentation, they dont check shit as long as they charge their initiation and monthly fees , theyre happy ,so Contractors assume everything is in order, and yes even USAF gets in on it because they work on the base! . They all look the other way when its convenient.Its only during election time , when media and politicians ride the anti-Illegal alien wave to get votes.Govmnt needs to prosecute and dish out heavy fines to companies who employ illegal aliens, hell theyre the ones who benefit the most.

anyways I havent heard from them, its been 2 months and nothing , everybody still working there.How convenient. But its fucked up to hear they taken a new endeavor against imported Skylines. WTF is wrong with our GOVmnt? Didnt mean to jack this thread....seriously.
Way to go HLS Guys Im out of a job cause you guys arent doing yours!
And now you want the Skylines ,.... Really:ghey:
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i'm sure people who must absolutely own a certain model skyline... r32, r33, r34, that is not legal will resist as much as they can until they run out of resources..

i'm not one of those so if i could afford it and wanted it i will just get a r35.. not a skyline blah blah blah.. close enough and legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wish HLS would concentrate more on busting illegal immigration and human trafficking.

Im honestly wondering if there was some Fast and furious influence on this, like do they think owners import these cars for the sole consent of street racing?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
14 Trillion in debt, and this is a concern...?

-Jorge
I LUV MY S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
ESmorz
Post Whore!

ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
If Ayn Rand were alive today she'd drive a Subaru.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Scott Walker needs to become president and put and end to this BS. Wasting fuckin tax payers dollars on BS.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
i feel like the war on drugs is an easy way for government workers to do a job without putting themselves in harm's way.
by far the dumbest thing i've ever read on this site...how many cops, fed's agents have been wounded/killed via drug related crimes or investigations?

BUT i do aggree this is a complete waste of govt. funds and resources.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 03-04-2011 at 04:09 PM..
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
UtahKouki

UtahKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a complete waste of manpower and resources. Glad to hear ur sticking it to the man!
UtahKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Move to Canada if you want a Skyline!

I'm laughing at the fact that the government has a insanely huge debt to deal with, and they are wasting their time with cars sitting in people's garages doing no harm.

Oh and high five for sticking it to them!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
which means that every job the government does besides run the military is unnecessary. viva la ayn rand 2011
oh i hope your joking. Ayn rand's bullshit is as pie-in-the-sky, theoretical, and unrealistic as pure communism.

And the whole skyline situation is gay as aids. If i read it correctly you can't even have a GTR as a dedicated track car that's never street driven? wtf is that bullshit.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
but...

would you pick communism over ayn rand?
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
240Shwag
Zilvia Member

240Shwag is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LUV MY S13 View Post
14 Trillion in debt, and this is a concern...?
I guess you don't realize why we are 14 trillion dollars in debt...

Shit like this goes on in every single section of the government.
240Shwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
isn't this thread already on zilvia somewhere?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
but...

would you pick communism over ayn rand?
good point. lemme see how success treats me and in about ten years i'll get back to you.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
Jav1997GSX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Jav1997GSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
14,206,385,220,157 dollars in debt and this is what we spend money on, no wonder were in the situation where in stupid government making stupid choices in gov. spending
Jav1997GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
a kid named Chris
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
screaming6
Zilvia Member

screaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choices
this is bull, complete waste of manpower. we can look for skylines but cant find osama bin laden?

False about all previously seized skylines not being able to be exported. My friend down here in S. Florida had two skylines as well, r32 and r34 and when he got a letter and some HLS agents went to his shop he immediately arranged to have them shipped to barbados the same week and kept one and sold the other. Then imported a s15....lol
screaming6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrischeezer View Post
I'm following this for sure!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote