Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #61
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlastoisex View Post
dude your stuff is insane!! i remember meeting you a few summers ago at IA. was with kim. do you also do upholstery for customers or only the clusters.
What's going on man. I do not do stitched upholstery work for others. I am by no means a professional at it. I have professional results, but only because I take however long I need to get the results I want... I'm not proficient at it. But to do it for money would not be a good business venture for me. However, I do wrap things like the door card inserts, glove box, center console and so forth. That type of upholstery work is what I do for a living when I wrap sub boxes, fiberglass enclosures etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
There are things on the market for the aquarium industry that you could use to fill those holes that would be flawless after the sanding and polishing process if it ever really bothers someone that much. But for the most part, you don't see it.
Nice man, that's a good idea. Have you had any experience doing it on an acrylic aquarium? I would only want to do that if it was 100% not visible. I'll have to pick some up and give it a try on a junk cluster front. Thanks for the info!

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #62
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Cluster is nuts, build thread is nuts, and you're nuts.

Great thread!
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #63
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post

Nice man, that's a good idea. Have you had any experience doing it on an acrylic aquarium? I would only want to do that if it was 100% not visible. I'll have to pick some up and give it a try on a junk cluster front. Thanks for the info!
I've used the Weldon 42 before, its really good stuff and with good prep work its completely transparent when finished, its formulated to set with zero air bubbles in it. I've used it on a few custom built aquariums and its always turned out either perfect, or so close that the average eye would never notice. Here is a thread from an aquarium forum I'm on where some friends of mine used it on a custom tank.

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Starts on page 5 post 89 where he explains the prep work he used and it goes on for a few pages. There are also some pics later in the thread of the tank with water in it showing where the acrylic was bonded together. Calvin talks about one small flaw, but I've seen that tank in person and I can't see what hes talking about and I'm extremely picky.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #64
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
Cluster is nuts, build thread is nuts, and you're nuts.

Great thread!
.... as long as I don't like nuts, then I think everything is going to be alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
I've used the Weldon 42 before, its really good stuff and with good prep work its completely transparent when finished, its formulated to set with zero air bubbles in it. I've used it on a few custom built aquariums and its always turned out either perfect, or so close that the average eye would never notice. Here is a thread from an aquarium forum I'm on where some friends of mine used it on a custom tank.

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Starts on page 5 post 89 where he explains the prep work he used and it goes on for a few pages. There are also some pics later in the thread of the tank with water in it showing where the acrylic was bonded together. Calvin talks about one small flaw, but I've seen that tank in person and I can't see what hes talking about and I'm extremely picky.
Jesus, screw the glue, all I care about is his build. I have been into reef tanks in the past, so I know a thing or two, but nothing like you and your friend there. That build is insane so far. I'm gonna have fun reading it all day.

I'll have to look into that glue.... the results are impressive to say the least. I have a 3M gun I use for my Duramix glues, which uses the same tips as the gun he's using in the pics. So hopefully I don't have to buy another gun.... because that gun he has pictured is at least a couple hundred dollars. And that hardly seems worth it to glue a couple holes on an S13 cluster.

Thanks for all of the info, you have been very helpful. Unfortunately it makes me want to get back into reef tanks. And at the moment I am getting into guns, so not enough money to support all of my hobbies.... I knew I should of been a doctor.

Dr. Broadfield has a nice ring to it.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #65
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
.... as long as I don't like nuts, then I think everything is going to be alright!

Jesus, screw the glue, all I care about is his build. I have been into reef tanks in the past, so I know a thing or two, but nothing like you and your friend there. That build is insane so far. I'm gonna have fun reading it all day.

I'll have to look into that glue.... the results are impressive to say the least. I have a 3M gun I use for my Duramix glues, which uses the same tips as the gun he's using in the pics. So hopefully I don't have to buy another gun.... because that gun he has pictured is at least a couple hundred dollars. And that hardly seems worth it to glue a couple holes on an S13 cluster.

Thanks for all of the info, you have been very helpful. Unfortunately it makes me want to get back into reef tanks. And at the moment I am getting into guns, so not enough money to support all of my hobbies.... I knew I should of been a doctor.

Dr. Broadfield has a nice ring to it.
Haha, yeah I drool over a long shallow peninsula like that, I have a house big enough for it, just no where that the woman will let me get away with it, so for now I deal with my 150gal in the dinning room (still not where I wanted it). Just wanted to clarify, I did NOT have anything to do with building that take, I don't want to take credit for anyone's work. While I have done that sort of thing before, that is not an example of my work.

I would think any power glue gun along that lines would work for that, I know I use one that I found online and passed on buying the one from Weldon because of the price. The results are pretty impressive, if I had a the smaller buffers and such that you have I might try it myself on some old clusters I have laying around.

I feel you on the hobby thing, between a new/old house (1933) that I'm trying to completely restore, my cars, my tanks, and my better half, I feel like I can't afford to eat sometimes. haha

I see you as a pediatrician, and you letting the kids call you Dr. Toby.