Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
J30 Hubs ON S14 The How TO (with Pics)

If you own one of the unlucky s14 that are 4 lug,
Read a lot about how the J30 spindles are the same diameter as the s14 so I decided to use my shell as
A mock up to see if a J30 can be used as an alternative to the expensive s14 5 lug
So after a lot of trial and error I think I got it covered .
Why the J30 front hubs instead of the s14, they are abundant at the junk yard and Duh!! Its cheap.
What you Need:
Tools:
32mm, 19mm Socket
chisel or sharp flat head
Grinder/cut off Wheel,
Parts:
2 - J30 front Hubs From any year
2 - 1 5/8” ID washers
1 – Pack of .025” thick 1 3/8” ID, 1 7/8”OD Shims (McMaster-Carr)
(You will use 4 on each side and pack comes with 10)
5 lug Rotors
START
First remove the cap off the hub with a sharp chisel to get to the lock nut

Use the 32mm socket to remove the nut

The J30 hub has an ABS ring on it, that needs to be removed. Use a cut off wheel to cut a notch into the ring and use a flat head to pry it apart and the ring should slide off.

The rear bearing seal is also in the way for the hub to be mounted correctly. Remove the seal with a sharp chisel.

Next the spacer for the rear of the hub has to be mad Needs to be about 1/8” thick I used the 1 5/8” Inner Diameter Washer which was thick enough and cut the outside diameter to 2 ½”. I used a cutoff saw and then grinded the outside round

The reason for the spacer is to make the backspacing of the hub as close to stock as it can be so the brake calipers will bolt on.
Stock

J30

Next place the new washer you made in back of the hub and place on the knuckle.

OR You can do the following!!
UPDATE!
I thaught of a better way to do the rear spacer because it will be harder for others to grind down the washer to make it work.

Here is a pic of what i snagged from the yard
with my hubs! I marked the parts that have to be ground down.

Here is how it looks when its done!

Now you have to grind down the inside edge of the washer to make it sit flush!

Now you can use the rear seal but its just going to be there to keep rocks out wont really be a tight seal but here is were you cut the little plastic flap.

Then do the rest of the steps i did! The hub will feel real tight at first but thats because the real seal is breaking in to the back of the knuckle. be sure to check the hub if its loose and add a shim if you need to..
And you may need to space out your calipers with a washer to clear the rotors.

Then pace the four shims in front of the hub

Place the lock washer in front of the shims and tighten the nut Then torque to specs.

Install brakes and enjoy five Lug.

Last edited by essforteen; 10-04-2009 at 12:04 AM..
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
gijoe69
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
gijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant futuregijoe69 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gijoe69
nice write up....how long did it take u do figure it out lol
gijoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Great, will this also work on s13?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
NISMO_tuner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (64)
NISMO_tuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 64 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to NISMO_tuner
I heard from a few people that the J30 hubs needed to be machined.
Have you road tested the hubs??
Maybe it's kinda hard for me to understand it since I haven't really taken a good look at the measurements.

Thanks for the step by step write up.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
PinkPanther
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
PinkPanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PinkPanther
since you were forced to remove the rear bearing seal, won't the grease leak out of the bearings and cause them to fail?
PinkPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
The s13 hubs need to be machined because you dont use the J30 bearings you press in the s13 bearings and machine a groove for the lock ring
Look at this write up for s13
Hardtuned.net > Cheap/Safe/Easy S13 5lug front hub conversion.
mine has the ring also
Got the Hubs from a 95
Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
NISMO_tuner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (64)
NISMO_tuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 64 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to NISMO_tuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by essforteen View Post
The s13 hubs need to be machined because you dont use the J30 bearings you press in the s13 bearings and machine a groove for the lock ring
mine has the ring also
Got the Hubs from a 95
Thats the exact answer I was looking for...
Thanks.
Let us know after the car is driven and the results.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
weird thing is my hubs did not have that retainer ring
But it appears the OP is using this on a S14 so there is no need to remove and replace bearing since the J30 and S14 have the same I.D. on the front hub shaft, therefore no machined groove needs to be made because it already held in the way it was meant to be. Different for the S13 though.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPanther View Post
since you were forced to remove the rear bearing seal, won't the grease leak out of the bearings and cause them to fail?
Thats kinda true but the i will over grease the bearing and the rear spacer act kinda like a seal so it doesn't bother me

The car has not been road tested because i just mocked it up on my spare shell that has no engine but will be done to my car next week!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Theres a better aproach to doing this that will allow you to keep the OEM bearing seal, im working on something thats very similair to this for a P11 Infiniti G20, maybe I can get some pics soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

the bearing seal stops the hub from siting right
but ill try that!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Theres a better aproach to doing this that will allow you to keep the OEM bearing seal, im working on something thats very similair to this for a P11 Infiniti G20, maybe I can get some pics soon.
i just tried what you said but the inner diameter of the seal is too small and the area where the dust shield is doesnt allow it to enter. thats why i had to remove it.

Even if i was able to use the seal the seal is ineffective if the spindle doesn't sit against it.

This is hard to explain because the j30 spindle is slightly longer and the design is slightly different

I reaally wanted to use the seal but every thing i tried failed so i was forced to remove the seal.

If any one knows how im open for new ideas!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
i just tried what you said but the inner diameter of the seal is too small and the area where the dust shield is doesnt allow it to enter. thats why i had to remove it.

Even if i was able to use the seal the seal is ineffective if the spindle doesn't sit against it.

This is hard to explain because the j30 spindle is slightly longer and the design is slightly different

I reaally wanted to use the seal but every thing i tried failed so i was forced to remove the seal.

If any one knows how im open for new ideas!!!
Thats why I deleted what I said, I explained it wrong but trust me there is a way that will retain the stock seal. Lemme see I think I have a spare S13 spindle I can snap a picture of its basically the same as the S14 except for shaft diameter.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Cool Let me Know!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Can you take a picture of the S14 4 lug hub and the J30 5 lug hub in the same picture? I need to see the backside where the seal goes
Old 06-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Can you take a picture of the S14 4 lug hub and the J30 5 lug hub in the same picture? I need to see the backside where the seal goes

J30 on the right

Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
pallnet
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
pallnet is making his/her stupidity well-knownpallnet is making his/her stupidity well-knownpallnet is making his/her stupidity well-knownpallnet is making his/her stupidity well-knownpallnet is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
At the moment I don't have the S14 and J30 setups in my garage to test fit but what about pressing the S14 bearings into the J30 hubs? Will the little disk seal that surrounds the S14 hub fit on the J30 hub?

Thanks
pallnet
Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Thats the problem with the s14 the bearing is not removable its built into the hub!
I tried using the disk thing but the whole rear half of the bearing is attached to it
so it doesnt fit in the hub
Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
MeanS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
MeanS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Did you use front or rear J30 hubs for this?

And will this work for the front and rear on an s14?
MeanS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanS14 View Post
Did you use front or rear J30 hubs for this?

And will this work for the front and rear on an s14?
The front Ones only work for the front.

You can use the rear also but the hub has to pressed out of the j30 and

pressed into the new bearing for the s14
Old 06-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
The front Ones only work for the front.

You can use the rear also but the hub has to pressed out of the j30 and

pressed into the new bearing for the s14
Or you use the entire upright. It bolts right on and requires no press labor. Ebrake works too, they're the same size as Z32/R32, so you can bolt Z32 rear brakes right on to the J30 upright and have functional a parking brake with just cable modification.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
As far as the rears go, the j30 uprights have bearing pressed in them and the s13/14 are bolt ins? Is this correct?
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
Shadowhunter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Shadowhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thanks for the write up! I will be doing this soon and the more resources and pics I can look at the better.
Shadowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
As far as the rears go, the j30 uprights have bearing pressed in them and the s13/14 are bolt ins? Is this correct?
Correct.

message length

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
ilike2drive21
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ilike2drive21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Correct.

message length

can u still use the stock calipers with the whole j30 upright?
ilike2drive21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #26
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

msanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
any news on how they do under driving condition yet?
msanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

UPDATE:
I re did the setup using the washer that sits behind the nut and grinded the flat spots out to make it round. I did this to replace the custom washer i had to make but i had to space out the caliper a little with washers so the calipers wouldnt rub the rotors. I still used the shimms to make the hub sit tight against the nut but thats about it. ill try and update the writeup so it will show how i redid it. But ive been running this setup scince mid June and no problems thus far i even ran this set up drifting at elToro at the DAIs event. and its still running fine but i do check it often to make sure it is still tight.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

msanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
UPDATE:
I re did the setup using the washer that sits behind the nut and grinded the flat spots out to make it round. I did this to replace the custom washer i had to make but i had to space out the caliper a little with washers so the calipers wouldnt rub the rotors. I still used the shimms to make the hub sit tight against the nut but thats about it. ill try and update the writeup so it will show how i redid it. But ive been running this setup scince mid June and no problems thus far i even ran this set up drifting at elToro at the DAIs event. and its still running fine but i do check it often to make sure it is still tight.

so just want to clarify because i plan on doing this this weekend. you took the lock washer from the front of the hub (behind the nut but infront of your shims) and grinded the inside to make if round and then placed it in the back of the hub as the rear spacer? is this correct? was there a problem with the original setup that made you change this? and how many shims did you have ot add to the front to be able to tighten the hub all the way down.? sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i do this right.
great write up by the way!
thanks in advanced!
Mike
msanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #29
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Yes when i got the hubs from the yard i grabbed an extra pair of the washers and grinded them down
Here is what i did
UPDATE!
I thaught of a better way to do the rear spacer because it will be harder for others to grind down the washer to make it work.

Here is a pic of what i snagged from the yard
with my hubs! I marked the parts that have to be ground down.

Here is how it looks when its done!

Now you have to grind down the inside edge of the washer to make it sit flush!

Now you can use the rear seal but its just going to be there to keep rocks out wont really be a tight seal but here is were you cut the little plastic flap.

Then do the rest of the steps i did! The hub will feel real tight at first but thats because the real seal is breaking in to the back of the knuckle. be sure to check the hub if its loose and add a shim if you need to..
And you may need to space out your calipers with a washer to clear the rotors. thats about it but ill be removing my setup soon since i found a good deal on some s14 hubs so my set up will be for sale soon!!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #30
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
it doesnt look like the abs ring needs to be removed.