Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
repda916
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone paint in Sac?

lookin to get my coupe painted around sac. just want a basic single stage. dosent need to be no show paint job.
went to maaco they want $250 just for paint but with orange peel.
was thinking maybe someone has a booth and if i buy the paint and primer can do it for a small fee. the car is already sanded just need primer and paint.
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
silpena
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wait they want 250 for the paint? sorry to tell u bud but your not gonna get a real good shine with hella buffin on single stage. Go with 2 stage. If ur lucky u can get by with 350.00. If i had a booth to use id do it.. well i do but i have to pay 100.00 to use it(schools booth). Go to the uti campus maybe t hey might do it for free just pay for the materials but at the risk of having a student do it.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

norcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to norcal_black240 Send a message via MSN to norcal_black240
If you have a large enough compressor at your house or a friends house you can try and do it yourself. You can get 2 stage paint and all materails including a paint gun from Harbor Freight for like 500. The secret to good paint is awesome body work and prep work. Gotta do a good job wetsanding and buffing to bring out the shine.

I got a shop to paint and my friends use it and their paint jobs are no show winners but a million times better than primer and its something thats good to know.

Here is a paint job we did on my friends car. First time any of us did a paint job. We went to the local paint shop and got shopline paint and I had a Finex paint gun to use for primer and paint. It has a few runs on the driver side fender and door but with hopefully some of it will buff out. Materials cost 400ish total and its painted Rx8 Blue. 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. Its not buffed in the pics either.

Some pics of the actual painting process

Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
glad to see u all wore ur mask.... wait nm. i hope ur friend didnt sray the clear like that. Isocyanides from the clear and hardners are terrible for ur lungs dude.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

norcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to norcal_black240 Send a message via MSN to norcal_black240
Ya that paper mask thing wasnt cuttin it for our friend so he used a real mask soon afterwards haha.

But anyways to the OP, if you wetsand your car and tape off the small stuff im sure maaco will paint your car for cheap. If not try and find a friend with a compressor. If you cant find either of those your prob gonna spend 800+ on a paint job.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
silpena
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_black240 View Post
Ya that paper mask thing wasnt cuttin it for our friend so he used a real mask soon afterwards haha.

But anyways to the OP, if you wetsand your car and tape off the small stuff im sure maaco will paint your car for cheap. If not try and find a friend with a compressor. If you cant find either of those your prob gonna spend 800+ on a paint job.
good thing he did that but yeah 800 + is what your looking at. What color are you going paint the car?(to the op) If you stick with something similer to the stock solid color you can get away with 250-300 for materials and maybe 100-400 to have someone paint it. It all depends on how bad the person needs the money to paint it. All i would want is you pay for the materials, the booth time, do your own prep including masking and cleaning. And like 50 bucks for my time lol. I still say to go to a jc college or uti and ask them how much they want. Back in college the customer would just pay for the materials and let the students work on it. I my experience seeing this done is it wont look as great as u want it but for thr price u cant beat. IF u got qoute 250 to paint it single stage id say take it but like i said again. YOur gonna have to buff the hell out it to get to shine great. Its not like lacquer paint where u just cake it on wet and just spray some more whenever.

btw norcal 240: how come i dont see ur buddys car anywhere around yuba or marysville? did he allready move??
Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
repda916
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the advice guys, the car was white, then someone painted it a light slate color. i sanded it with 80 with a da, then i went to 180, then 220, its smooth. i dont even know if i need a primer. and i was thinking of painting it gloss black or a pearl white. i know with the black the body will have to be 100% perfect. (which it is). as for going to a JC what do i do? just got and see if they have any projects where they need a car painted?
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silpena View Post
good thing he did that but yeah 800 + is what your looking at. What color are you going paint the car?(to the op) If you stick with something similer to the stock solid color you can get away with 250-300 for materials and maybe 100-400 to have someone paint it. It all depends on how bad the person needs the money to paint it. All i would want is you pay for the materials, the booth time, do your own prep including masking and cleaning. And like 50 bucks for my time lol. I still say to go to a jc college or uti and ask them how much they want. Back in college the customer would just pay for the materials and let the students work on it. I my experience seeing this done is it wont look as great as u want it but for thr price u cant beat. IF u got qoute 250 to paint it single stage id say take it but like i said again. YOur gonna have to buff the hell out it to get to shine great. Its not like lacquer paint where u just cake it on wet and just spray some more whenever.

btw norcal 240: how come i dont see ur buddys car anywhere around yuba or marysville? did he allready move??
He goes school at UC berkley 5 days a week and sometimes takes his car. ATM he has been modding it like crazy so he hasnt been driving it around a lot. He just ordered a calum ecu setup, meth injection, type X tails, and a few other small things. He also developed a small oil leak from the main seal we think so he needs to fix that to.

To the OP, just go to a JC and see how much they will charge to rent the booth and if there are any students that need to practice painting. If not go to maaco cause I know they still have cheap paint jobs. As long as you do a lot of the prep work and buff the crap out of it after it should look pretty presentable. But if you can afford it def. get a 2 stage. Clear coat is your friend.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
silpena
Zilvia Addict

oooo ok. Glad to see hes going to a good school. me.. yuba college.
Yeah just hit up the auto body teacher. I know there is one college near sac thats a jc that has auto body. Not sure on the name or u can just go to uti or wyotech. I'm sure they're allways willing to take in work for the students.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
silpena
Zilvia Addict

also forgot to say to the op. Yeah u will need primer. You have white plus a slate color under. Painting black over it is gonna bleed through and waste alot of money on just trying to cover it. As long you didnt go the paint or primer into the metal your safe from needing primer.

If u go with a black then buy a quart of black primer sealer or 1.5 quarts of primer surfacer then 2 quarts of black base and 3 quarts of clear. You should barely get by with this if you have no mistakes.
IF u go with the pearl white then go with a white base color first then top coat it with only a quart of your white pearl. WHite as a paint is cheap as hell. Usually white pearls are 3 stages so you might be looking around 450.00 just for the white pearl and paint.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silpena View Post
oooo ok. Glad to see hes going to a good school. me.. yuba college.
Yeah just hit up the auto body teacher. I know there is one college near sac thats a jc that has auto body. Not sure on the name or u can just go to uti or wyotech. I'm sure they're allways willing to take in work for the students.
You go to yuba college? I go there to haha. What color is your 240? I never see any 240's besides a white S14 with white wheels and exhaust that has a ride height like a 4x4.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
silpena
Zilvia Addict

mine is a 93 black hatch with a uc davis sticker(supporting my gf lol) it has like a messed up front bumper becuase it got pulled on alignment machiine when i was doing test for the suspension class. Also got a kinked that sit crooked..and a driver side rear light that has a hole in it from someone backing up to me at the college. Right now my car is all ugly looking. I never got to fixing all the dents from this stupid lady backing up to me at foodmax. This semester i'm only taking 6 units since i'm almost done with my master autobody/paint refinishing class. I'm never seen alot at school. The only 240 i see is a black zenki in black primer that some one ruined with rattle cans..i can see the old paint in areas and this silver zenki that a chic drives. I'm usally parked in the back by the orchards behind the autobody area or auto shop area.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

Oic, ya I see those 2 S13's also. I park in west parking lot and never in east parking lot near the auto section.