Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
AuburnRyan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
AuburnRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheap-ola "Mom Race" Ebay Steering Wheel - OK?

Oooops - title should be "Momo Race"

Main complaint about factory is it's too skinny. I really like the Sparco FASTER, but it's over $300

So I've liked, but never felt the momo race, but picture's of used ones look like they don't hold up very well.

So, it's begs the question, the copies have been on ebay over 2 years...anyone have it, and your opinion please!

AuburnRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Sorry, but LMAO! HUB Sports? Just talk to Logan at ASpec and get a Personal wheel.

JVD.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
How bad can a knockoff steering wheel be? Spend the 30 bucks and try it out.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
AuburnRyan
Zilvia Member

AuburnRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
The wheel, not the hub!

As I said, I'll go withthe SPARCO, but the Personal prices aren't bad. Depends on the grip thickness.
AuburnRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
my friend had put an ebay wheel when he sold his integra, thing was dam tiny.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSquidd
*CLICHE ALERT* You get what you pay for. I've seen ebay steering wheels fall apart in your hands while driving. Talk to the Logan-masa about some wheelage.
TheSquidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
i had a 350mm wheel. looked just like that. apparently people dont like them, because when my car was stolen, they didnt even take that. just the fake nismo horn button that came with it! haha. get the personal one, its only 180 bucks, and its a good wheel. or i have a silvia hicasII wheel that i'd be willling to sell you. pm me.
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
P4rD0nM3
Zilvia FREAK!

P4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of light
Lol mom race....
P4rD0nM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoBoY
i had a 350mm wheel. looked just like that. apparently people dont like them, because when my car was stolen, they didnt even take that. just the fake nismo horn button that came with it! haha. get the personal one, its only 180 bucks, and its a good wheel. or i have a silvia hicasII wheel that i'd be willling to sell you. pm me.
Not only would I leave that in the car, I'd post a note on it stating how god awful ugly it is.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Sean1978
Zilvia Member

Sean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sean1978
I have a real MOMO race wheel and a Ebay Bride knokoff in the other car.

I don't mind the cheap wheel because the stock wheel on the S13 cramps me in a bit (I have long legs) but the quality is crap. the Knockoff wheels have kind of squared padding, the real MOMO race wheel is a lot firmer, more sturdy, and its padding is rounded.

the stitching on my knockoff fell off so I just peeled the leater off, it's black rubber underneath.

soo... knockoff wheels are OK, but they feel and look like $30.00 , the real MOMO is completley different and looks and feels a lot better.

here's a picture of a real momo race:

another big difference, I have a real and a fake. they are both the same diameter, but the padding on the fake wheel is fatter, especially the part under the wheel.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
R34SKYLINE
Leaky Injector

R34SKYLINE is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a MOMO RACE steering wheel exactly like the one picture right above been having it for like 5 years or so and its held up well....I think I paid like $360-380 for mine way back.
R34SKYLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Speed_dreams

Speed_dreams is an unknown quantity at this point
i have had the knock off bride wheel waiting to be put on cause it seems like no one in canada knows what hub goes on a Hicas version of the 240, idiots, but it feels nice when i hold it , a little soft but nothing bad.
Speed_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #13
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products

save now, pay for it later

or pay now, save later

your choice

just do it right the first time

on a side note i love how they use the prelude with a R34 conversion in a "NISMO" picture

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #14
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
get a nardi or personal wheel through logan/aspec products. its a little bit more expensive than ebay, but its way better, i cant wait to get mine tmw!
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #15
reefer1114
Zilvia Addict

reefer1114 is an unknown quantity at this point
that cheap wrapping on the wheel will slide right off when the sun gets to it...izumi steering wheel ftw!
reefer1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #16
AllenRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

AllenRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
u should save up now, and later get a better SW. those ebay crap is no good, as it's not leather, my friend had a fake bride SW, the quality is just like... SHIT!
AllenRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #17
Flipzide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
Flipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
yea listen to these guys.. get it if you want, but you will end up paying more in the end.

i have this wheel right now. just got it as a temporary for a quick release setup. within 3 months, the wheel started falling apart. overall i didnt really mind. i got it for 20 bucks shipped a couple months back. its also somewhat flimsy and does not feel solid.

D-Street.net | bcuison.wordpress.com
Flipzide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #18
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I picked one up last year for the quick release purpose also to deter theft when i lived in Los Angeles. It is cheap for sure, but i had wanted to test out a smaller diameter wheel and i preferred it over stock. I immediately stripped the covering
off of it to reveal an injection molded urethane that actually holds both the round portion (stamped aluminum), and the center portion together against eachother. And since i always wanted to try and make a hollow CF steering wheel, this is a good starting point for me to make a mold from. Just have to get around to it this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipzide
yea listen to these guys.. get it if you want, but you will end up paying more in the end.

i have this wheel right now. just got it as a temporary for a quick release setup. within 3 months, the wheel started falling apart. overall i didnt really mind. i got it for 20 bucks shipped a couple months back. its also somewhat flimsy and does not feel solid.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
I have a 350mm one and it's still completely intact after 7 months. It is better than stock and not for too much money either. I even got the horn button to work. No complaints here for an ebay steering wheel.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #20
Nizzan4u2nv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Nizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura aboutNizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura aboutNizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura aboutNizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura aboutNizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura aboutNizzan4u2nv has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nizzan4u2nv
Look into OMP wheels too. I have a 300mm and i think its dope. I have a ebay 325 just like that in my other car and I dont like it. You could pull on it and flexes very easily. Id say my omp is on par quality wise with my friends personal.

IIRC omp is made in italy just like momo.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #21
Pred

Pred is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one of these and it definatly feels better than stock but it does suck ass. After 2 weeks of use the stitching is ripping on the handels already. Im going to get the Nardi Classic instead~
Pred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #22
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
I have the knock-off bride. over 6 months no issue. the wrapping stuff tore when I threw the wheel onto the ground while it was spinning, but that was too be expected.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #23
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
The Grant/Pilots would be a better way to go if you are going cheap route. Problem is 5 bolt. Quality, warranty, price. I used a Pilot GT on an s13 I sold over 6 years ago with no problems.

Think about your priorities concerning the car. Could the extra $100 + be used to upgrade some bushings, brake pads, rotors, lines to SS, BOV, plugs, wires, etc...you get my point. Just depends on where it fits into your goals.

Die-hard fanboys may beg to differ.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #24
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had that exact same wheel in my car for a while. It wasn't bad but I felt it was too small. It didn't flex much and I felt it was worth the price in terms of quality. Luck? Maybe.

That was before I stumbled upon my pink-sparkle-dish at Tokyo Superautobacs at a way-too-cheap price and realized what a right proper wheel felt like.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #25
Shawn_of_the_Dead
Zilvia Junkie

Shawn_of_the_Dead is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about getting the D-shaped Nismo wheel...just because of the D-shape though. I hate hitting my knees on the wheel getting in/out and refuse to raise/lower the steering column all the time. Anyone have any suggestions for a good D-shape...or maybe batman style..lol

...seriously though.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
Shawn_of_the_Dead
Zilvia Junkie

Shawn_of_the_Dead is on a distinguished road
all hell, I'll probably get one anyway...it's only 35 bucks.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #27
mbmbmb23
Zilvia Contributor

Trader Rating: (1)
mbmbmb23 is on the path to ruinmbmbmb23 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, those $30 wheels suck. They flex in a way that "real" (OEM and up) steering wheels don't....like there is no "backbone" material inside or whatever....seems very unsafe to me....especially with spirited driving where you are hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life in a fast corner.

-m
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #28
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbmb23
Yes, those $30 wheels suck. They flex in a way that "real" (OEM and up) steering wheels don't....like there is no "backbone" material inside or whatever....seems very unsafe to me....especially with spirited driving where you are hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life in a fast corner.

-m
Exactly. There are just certain items it's not worth going cheap on. Just use the stock one for crying out loud if you're that cheap.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:31 AM   #29
AllenRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

AllenRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzan4u2nv
Look into OMP wheels too. I have a 300mm and i think its dope. I have a ebay 325 just like that in my other car and I dont like it. You could pull on it and flexes very easily. Id say my omp is on par quality wise with my friends personal.

IIRC omp is made in italy just like momo.
yea, OMP's quality is not bad tho, u should think about getting one!
AllenRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote