Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
oneslide

Trader Rating: (0)
oneslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beat to death: Xcessive frame replacement.. should I?

I've been in search for a decent coupe shell. After finding one semi-close, I find out it's got rusted to shit rails and strut tower. I've attached pictures of both rust areas.. My main question...

Should I buy the Xcessive replacement pieces for both pass and driver side? Is it worth it? I've been looking at people who have used the pieces and they have worse rails than this car and they are having great outcomes that are lasting, so it got me thinking.

To shed some light on this. It's 92 coupe, full Isis suspension, aero, hydro, 5 lug, z32 brakes, welded diff, power everything, working HUD with crackless dash. Body is clean and no rust on body panels.

Pictures!

oneslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I wouldn't waste your money on that. Unless you have the time, tools, and knowledge on how to properly repair those rails do not attempt it. Keep looking and find yourself a cleaner car.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That car is falling apart at the seams, literally. There is alot more invloved in that project than you might think. Plus, with the amount of material missing on the rails at those bends, I would suspect the front end is tweaked and out of square.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Never seen such a rusted chassis ... stay away from that, unless you already know how to fix that (and by that i mean you have already done that kind of fixing on another car)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Go the other way, find one with a straight chassis but a bad body if you have to because you are looking at way more work then you are ready for if you just have a garage and normal tools. If you are a full on shop that would be some work but its doable. Honestly its a good thing its a shell because that car should not be on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
oneslide

A few friends were getting me thinking and I decided to post on here as well and got exactly what I was hoping for. Actual inputs. Lol. Thanks a lot, guys.

I will steer away from this car and find another.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
damn, that is sick.

I got a 93 S13 coupe that is almost all stock I would be willing to part with. FL car and rust free.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
As others have said, stay away. Its not really the frame rails that are the problem (those are a easy enough fix) but the fact that the seams are separating and will only separate more when the chassis is stressed. Like shadowman already said, the chassis is probably not straight anymore as well.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
oneslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
damn, that is sick.

I got a 93 S13 coupe that is almost all stock I would be willing to part with. FL car and rust free.
Shoot me a PM with pictures and info. May work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
As others have said, stay away. Its not really the frame rails that are the problem (those are a easy enough fix) but the fact that the seams are separating and will only separate more when the chassis is stressed. Like shadowman already said, the chassis is probably not straight anymore as well.
Yeah, I decided to back out. A lot of friends told me not to get in that mess. I do have background in body work/rust repair but it just didn't seem right and something was pushing me away.. clearly the condition. Lol.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
bussitcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
bussitcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The only think id do with that car is build a missile with it. And my budget would be $1000 for the car, cheap coils, and a welded dif.

Dont fuck with that car unless youre gonna put it into a wall anyway.
bussitcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
oneslide

Yeah, he wanted 1500 FIRM... NO interior what so ever other than the dash (no seats,carpet, plastics,) no driveshaft, trans, engine, radiator, ecu, no rear wheels, no front bumper or rear bumper.

I almost said yes, but there's no way. I've been back and fourth with a guy on here for a bit but he's dragging his feet on another coupe that's rust free from VA but hopefully I find something.

My primary use at this point is just DD w/ occasional local drift event until I get my other car done (end of Summer.)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslide View Post
Yeah, he wanted 1500 FIRM... NO interior what so ever other than the dash (no seats,carpet, plastics,) no driveshaft, trans, engine, radiator, ecu, no rear wheels, no front bumper or rear bumper.

I almost said yes, but there's no way. I've been back and fourth with a guy on here for a bit but he's dragging his feet on another coupe that's rust free from VA but hopefully I find something.

My primary use at this point is just DD w/ occasional local drift event until I get my other car done (end of Summer.)
holy shit he almost got you!! I would only pay $1500 or anything over $200 if it came with the Sr20 swap running at my door step. don't pick this up
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslide View Post

With what you mentioned in the first post 1500$ is 500$ more than what the parts were worth that were on it.
If he would have settled for like 800$ you should have taken it and scrapped the shell and keep the parts or sell them.

But for what he wanted for it and what was on it 1500$ just wasnt worth it
especially since you needed a good 3-4000$ to get it running and decent shape.
At that point you lost money since you could only sell it for mabe 2-3000$

Good choice at backing out.
I let my emotions get to me when I bought my first 240sx (it was a truck),
needed so much work to look decent but luckily the parts on it took care of what I spent and plus some so I came out ok.

There will always be another 240 out there for you bro. No worries.
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
oneslide

I tried getting him to budge more but he just wouldn't. I am now putting money towards finishing my other car sooner and getting my DD to be as reliable as it should be. I am still going to be looking out for a nice coupe shell/running car either way.

Thanks again for all the inputs. It's nice to see/start a thread without sorting through bullshit responses.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
With what you mentioned in the first post 1500$ is 500$ more than what the parts were worth that were on it.
If he would have settled for like 800$ you should have taken it and scrapped the shell and keep the parts or sell them.

But for what he wanted for it and what was on it 1500$ just wasnt worth it
especially since you needed a good 3-4000$ to get it running and decent shape.
At that point you lost money since you could only sell it for mabe 2-3000$

Good choice at backing out.
I let my emotions get to me when I bought my first 240sx (it was a truck),
needed so much work to look decent but luckily the parts on it took care of what I spent and plus some so I came out ok.

There will always be another 240 out there for you bro. No worries.
you bought that purple 240 truck????
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$1,500 for that piece of shit. He must have had his twig and berries touched for the first time in it or something because I'd say about $1,300 of that price is sentimental inflation. Good decision on passing that one up. But keep an eye on it, when he finally realizes his first 'bj' car isn't worth that much, he may come to his senses and you could score a cheap parts car.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
you bought that purple 240 truck????
No. I bought a different one
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
oneslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
$1,500 for that piece of shit. He must have had his twig and berries touched for the first time in it or something because I'd say about $1,300 of that price is sentimental inflation. Good decision on passing that one up. But keep an eye on it, when he finally realizes his first 'bj' car isn't worth that much, he may come to his senses and you could score a cheap parts car.
Hoping something like that happens, LOL.