PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass windows s13 coupe

sdtouge
10-16-2005, 10:30 AM
anyone installed some lexan/plexiglass windows on there coupe? or hatch for that matter? i was just planning on ordering some sheets cutting them out to size and riveting them in. should be some decent weight savings.

thanks
matt

phrozen
10-16-2005, 10:49 AM
wont make much of a diff on a coupe

sdtouge
10-16-2005, 12:00 PM
i heard you can loose like 75 pounds or 100 pounds on some cars from doing this.

that is a good difference to me.

ThatGuy
10-16-2005, 12:10 PM
The only windows you could really replace on the coupe is the 1/4 windows. Those windows are personally too small to even bother with. Fastback windows are bigger and could actually make a difference. You aren't going to get 75-100lbs of weight savings out of a coupe like that though.

SochBAT
10-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Yea, and it doesn't looks as great. If you DO plan on going thru with it, if you get a hefty ticket for having it, you'll reconsider. Then again, its always nice to save weight, right?

If you go with Plexiglass, the areas where you rivet them on will crack, and spread. Sooner or later, the entire sheet will crack, and become useless. If you prefer lexan, its alot thicker. make sure you heat up the rivet areas, if not, it'll crack up a bit. It works ALOT better, but, when driving, all you'll hear is the lexan wiggling (sounds like thunder, just not as loud) from the wind that hits it.

GOOOOD LUCK!

sdtouge
10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
thanks for the tips. i defniantly need the help.
matt