Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-21-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
power fc, how do i know,

so I was planning a new project this summer, and it includes a power fc maybe, but how do I know what year my redtop is, i know 180sx s13 had longer production then ours, so would a red top be in the year range of our s13 as in 91-93, or 89-93 which ever, i dont know, but how do I know, im sorry if this is absolute newbieism but I though it would be pretty easy, but im looking and they even have this shit down to a month of production, how the hell am I going to know what month my sr was made,

414n014 would be for the redtop but then it says
91-94 180SX RPS13(Mid Minor Change) so could this be a redtop too this part number is 414n015
then there is 414-N017 96-99 180SX RPS13(After Minor Change) which im assuming this is a blacktop? but somewhere else they said oh no the blacktop came out in 96 or some thing, but I think they forgot that there is a blacktop in s13 years,

in the grand scheme of things, Im guessing I need 414n014, but i am not sure, also I run a 62 ecu now and there is no problems, thats liek the ecu everyone runs anyway but just want to add that,
mjjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
m_haiser

Trader Rating: (0)
m_haiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe im a newb here but i dont have a clue what youre talking about....
m_haiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
mjjstang
Post Whore!

mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
hmm I think your on to something, but anyway, ok so I am 99 percent sure now that I need the 414n014 unit, also where can I get this dlink thing?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
ultraDorksGarage
Zilvia Member

ultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura about
check phase2motortrend out tehy have a listing of powerFC's by ecu code. btw only guy i know down here in hawaii to run a powerfc said he heard base map is lean, he confirmed this in his shop, so be careful
ultraDorksGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_haiser
maybe im a newb here but i dont have a clue what youre talking about....
so why post about it?
oh wait, cuz it's post whoring

mjjstang: do you have the commander too? Did you SR come as a motor set or a clip? Mine was a clip and I had pix from the firewall plate that has the dates, but afaik, that's the only way you could tell I hope someone can prove me wrong.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's the cost of a PowerFC compared to an AEM EMS?
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
ultraDorksGarage
Zilvia Member

ultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura about
~1-1.2k for powerfc + comander, is just as expensive as a normal standalone, but plug and play, personally id go with a haltech or motec... thats just my .02. essentially if we arent talking about s14+ u can buy powerfc's by ecu code which directly correspond to harness, which is only real thing power FC cares about,(cuz it comes with a plug and play harness)..

but like i said, motec or haltech are my personal preferences.
ultraDorksGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
mjjstang
Post Whore!

well Im fairly confident it is the 414no14, I mean I know its an redtop, and that seems to be the only one that is listed for redtop btw, it was only a motorset, but onto the price, I dont have 2 grand to spend on an aem, ems, yah its got a nice windows interrface and optional uego AF meter, but like I said I cant afford the pricetag at the moment, I would spend 500 for an enthalpy tune, but I want to do this in steps like, turbo injectors now, intake exhaust manifold later, and then cams stuff like that last, but the problem is id have to get it retuned every time, this way yah I spend 500 more but I can do it at my own pace, I dont plan on ever running more than 375 hp, and think the power fc has been proven to be sufficient, what are the prices of motec haltec ultra

btw still cant find the dlink laptop interface if anyone can help,
Old 03-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
$1,500 for the base EMS, $1,800 w/UEGO.

My friend got rid of the PowerFC and went with the EMS cause it was such a pain to tune.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
I have a Power FC on my car. It runs super rich for me on the stock program. Also, you need to retard the timing a bit under high load because it is pretty aggressive up there and you will ping.

I have 2 other friends who are running it on their cars as well and it works good but tuning the maps with the handheld commander is a pain in the ass... Apexi has a a new FC Commander Pro which is a datalink and software for PC so you can tune it from a laptop like the other engine managements.

I think redtop only has one Power FC model. They split it by engine years so redtop S13 91-93, blacktop 180SX 94-96, blacktop 180SX 96-99. Just pick the right one for your engine. If you have a redtop it is 414-N014.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2mot...ipowerfc1.html

And tuning, be prepared to spend a lot, it takes a long time to tune the Power FC to optimal power because EVERYTHING is adjustable and everything takes forever to adjust on the little controller.

Last edited by ZK; 03-21-2005 at 05:56 PM..
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
mjjstang
Post Whore!

what are the impressions of the ems, was it easy for him to tune, I dl the program it runs for windows and within 2 seconds I was lost there is SOOOOOOOOO much to do with those,

this leads me back to the enthalpy tune, hes got a great reputation so I know id be safe, but I just wanted to get outside opinions, I just dont like the thought of having one tune and then I cant change anything, but then again low maintenance, and no tuning costs,
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
S14DB
AFC #1

You can set up and tune the EMS for WOT in about an hour. It's the off throttle stuff that takes the time. Logging helps in this area.

The best thing is to take the base map and trim it for your set up. The EMS has a steep learning curve but once you get it it is easy.

Enthalpy ROM tune is great if you don't want to tune yourself. After the inital cost of the ROM install. Re-burns are cheap. You can always run a SAFC for minor upgrades. Once you do a major change just send it back for a reburn.