Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
axel nut problem

so I bought a vlsd becasue I got a decent deal on it, came with shafts, well the drivers side shaft is giving me a headache, there is a small nick on the end of it, where the nut goes, so I figured this is my problem, the problem is the nut will only go on a bit, and then get s very tough to turn, so I grind it down just a tad to where it looks nice, nut hand turns very easily now untill about halfway, by halfway I mean total distance, because the nut will go totally on the shaft and even a good amouint past the nick, about quarter of an inch past infact, so I know that now the nick is not the problem, there is something else. because it just wont turn anymore exept with my large breaker bar and much force. I dont want to break anything, and I know I shouldnt have to use this much force, also I switched nuts, to make sure it was not the nut, the other nut wont work on this any better, and the nut from this axel works fine on the other, so I know it is the shaft, do you guys know what is the problem or what I can do to fix it, the guy sounds like he will be a prick and maybe maybe not give me a new one, any suggestions, BESIDES, hlsd, clutch type, etc, Ive heard that before,
mjjstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
probably is the axle itself
get another one
i guess its 5 bolt right?

if so j30 can work

but if it snot 2 nuts and not the nick, its the axle
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
mjjstang
Post Whore!

mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
axel looks straight but i guess with that thick a piece of metal, even the slightest bit of unevenness can stop it from turning, and theres no amount of force that would make it straighten itself out, so it is a five bolt, I can just go to any j30, vlsd or not, (sorry I dont know much about j30s, are they all vlsd, but anyway I can get an axel from any of them? as long as it is drivers,?

btw what year j30, would it be the 93 up, (again I dont know much about them, even what years they made or didnt make them,)
Old 03-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
i forget which model j30
search on frsehalloy
i know orion from FL has a website about j30 lsds and what to use.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
mjjstang
Post Whore!

damn your fast, I was just reading another post from a few years ago, about axels and being stuck and guy said you were on the ball, now I know what he meant, thanks ill check that on fa
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

BAM!
about 1/2 way down the page
j30 and LSD options for axles!

http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html

Quote:
It seems the later ‘94 diffs (after production date 1/94) are the same as the '95-96, so you could get lucky there.
Just count the bolt holes in the oputput shafts: 5 = Early '94, and you need the axles. 6 = bolt-on diff, same as '95-96.
seems you need pre-94?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
mjjstang
Post Whore!

hmm nice, If this guy stiffs me, then Ill look for the 93 or something,
Old 03-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Because of the fine threads it's very easy to damage an axle. Usually the guy who pulls it out threads the nut to the edge then bangs it out of the hub with hammer, that will crown the end of the axle and ream the threads down. The nut then finishes the job since it's a much harder steel.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
mjjstang
Post Whore!

see the thing is that the nut gets about 4mm past the beginning of the threads, as in the nut is totally on the shaft plus 4mm, the threads look perfect, but anyway I dont know, if this guy stiffs me, that means I pick up a 30 dollar j30 axel and then throw this one at him, but whatever, bad threads are the story of my life, from this to cam tower bolt, to my brothers front axel on his car, I have had more problems with bad threads than anything I could imagine, carwise,