Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Brakes are locking all four corners!

Hi. My brakes are breaking.

Changed master, bled everything, new oem check valve, booster 'checked out'.

Brakes operate normally for the first 5 mins or so, then slowly but surely the brakes start to grab, with more pressure building until the car can barely move. At this point, the brakes will start smoking(all 4 corners).

I've seen calipers get stuck but usually only one, never seen all 4 lol.

Only thing that's left is the booster correct?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: sorry I thought this was in tech, not engine tech.

Last edited by di-devol; 04-25-2017 at 11:21 PM..
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Sounds like the push rod between the booster and master cylinder is engaging the master slightly and dragging the brakes. As you use the brakes the booster is building vacuum and adding more assist.

Double check that push rod is properly seated, and either exchange the master, or you can play with o-rings (where the master interfaces the booster to maintain the booster sealing) and shims (between where the master bolts to the booster) to space out the master from the booster to eliminate the issue
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The brake master is not releasing all the way to the point where it releases the fluid pressure. This is due to either the adjustment at the brake pedal, or something causing the brake pedal to no longer return all the way up when you let off of it.
I had this same exact issue on my car and after replacing every single component of the brakes, come to find out it was due to me replacing the grommet in the brake pedal lever with a bolt to hit the brake light switch. The bolt had started to back out, and the brake pedal was not coming all the way up.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
I checked the adjustment rod and I gave it a little free play, brakes still build up pressure. I'll try a booster and check back.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

For anyone ever searching:

New booster fixed the issue, brakes need to be re-bled, but that was it.