Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Cant find a replacement oem crank pulley/harmonic balancer

Anyone know where i can find an oem replacement harmonic balancer for my KA?
It seems i can only find aluminum pulleys or a $500 ati super dampener

id really like to use an oem style balancer, anyone know where i could find one?
has anyone used the obx aluminum crank pulley? how well are these balanced?
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Bettywhite240

Trader Rating: (0)
Bettywhite240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stay away from the obx aluminum crank pulley as it won't absorb any crank vibration and destroy main bearings
Here's a used one
https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...t-152407833234
Bettywhite240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettywhite240 View Post
Stay away from the obx aluminum crank pulley as it won't absorb any crank vibration and destroy main bearings
Here's a used one
Ive also heard that the timing marks on the aluminum ones are off.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
rockauto.com

................................................ms g lgth

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Stay away from the obx aluminum crank pulley as it won't asorb any crank vibration and destroy main bearings

This is somewhat misleading. The crank goes through torsional bending, and 1st and second harmonic frequency events.

An inline 4 cylinder crank is fairly short, so torsional or bending stress is actually fairly minimal (relatively speaking). Unlike a 6 cylinder crank which has severe torsional problems (torque is squared based off length) and a second harmonic that occurs somewhere around 6K-6500 RPM. However the 4 cylinder cranks do not suffer from these issue(s). In addition the cranks themselves are full counterweighted and are balanced from the factory and are what absorbs the force generated for compression. You will see only slightly reduced bearing wear by going to an OBX, however I am not entirely sure by how much. But probably not for the lifetime of ownership/mileage. Also, if you lose weight off the snout, you also need to consider losing weight off the flywheel.

In short, you can run an AL crank pulley no problem on a 4 cylinder, generally speaking. However, keep in mind: FWD and RWD have different timing marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
Anyone know where i can find an oem replacement harmonic balancer for my KA?
It seems i can only find aluminum pulleys or a $500 ati super dampener

id really like to use an oem style balancer, anyone know where i could find one?
has anyone used the obx aluminum crank pulley? how well are these balanced?
The SR engine has ended production almost 20 years ago. Unless you find a secret stash, it will be very difficult to find a BNIB harmonic balancer. Check Fontana Nissan maybe??

There is also the GoFastBits crank pulley, but apart from that, the only real other option is ATI. I think fluidampr is also another option, but I have limited knowledge on them and they are probably about the same price as ATI
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Quote:
Here's a used one
Used ones are no good. they get a groove on the sealing surface. whish is why i need a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
rockauto.com
................................................ms g lgth
Trust me i have checked rock auto...
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not to step on any toes here, but I would never advise even thinking about running an aluminum crank pulley on any build. I used one and paid that price as well as many of our customers. They're a snake oil scam that only cause more harm than good.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Thats the reason this topic is here. i dont want an aluminum pulley.
When youve payed almost 4000 for your engine rebuild you start considering shelling out the money for that $500 fluid dampener because oem units are unavailable.

Im actually about to order a kwik sleeve off rock auto for my old unit, and then jsut reuse that
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thats the reason this topic is here. i dont want an aluminum pulley.
When youve payed almost 4000 for your engine rebuild you start considering shelling out the money for that $500 fluid dampener because oem units are unavailable.

Im actually about to order a kwik sleeve off rock auto for my old unit, and then jsut reuse that
Used OEM is fine if they're in good condition. I paid $35 for a used SR pulley and it has no nicks and perfect rubber. The deals are out there if you look long enough. Also the ATI dampeners are well worth the money if you have it.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Used OEM is fine if they're in good condition. I paid $35 for a used SR pulley and it has no nicks and perfect rubber. The deals are out there if you look long enough. Also the ATI dampeners are well worth the money if you have it.
the problem with the used units is they always come with a groove on the sealing surface from the old seal. that groove will shred a new seal. im trying the kwik repair sleeve and if that doesnt work out i guess ill have to go fluid dampener
unless anyone on here is selling a used ka24de harmonic balancer with a smooth sealing surface
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Yep, OEM Or ATI. Avoid all else.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:54 AM   #12
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Yep, OEM Or ATI. Avoid all else.
I swear some of you guys dont even read the post, or even the title for that matter. I CANNOT FIND AN OEM UNIT
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I swear some of you guys dont even read the post, or even the title for that matter. I CANNOT FIND AN OEM UNIT
No we did, you had mentioned the OBX pulley and we're all just trying to be very clear to stay away from them. We all have about the same resources finding parts here when it comes to OEM. Your best bet on finding a good condition OEM would be posting in the WTB section here. We're also saying if you can't find one ATI is an excellent option that's well worth the cash.