Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Advan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Advan is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Advan
Automatics

After reading the thread about how the drift king doesn't like s13's(wish I had the video) I scrolled down reading comments, and came upon Ricer240sx's sig. "I pity fools who drive automatics." My question is, what's so wrong about driving an automatic? I know driving automatics are for lazy people, but when it comes to people seeing you(example) drive an automatic 240sx, or rx7, all of sudden it's like you did something wrong. Then they tend to brag about how shitty your car is since it's an automatic. Even worse, when you decide to hook it up with groundeffect kits, turbo etc, at first they look at your car from the outside, and say "ooo ahhhh," then as soon as they see the automatic stick, it's like "oh it's an automatic," and "why would he get an automatic and hook it up with this and that, it's stupid." It's like they look down on you since you bought an automatic. I've been thinking about this whole automatic/manual deal. Soon, once I get the money, I too will be going for a 89' 240sx...or 89rx7. But that's my question to all, what is so wrong about an automatic?
I know I may get flamed, but I actually want to know what's bad about them. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
hookedup240
Zilvia FREAK!

hookedup240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hookedup240
They are very boring to drive and also automatic cars are slower than their manual counterparts.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
DuffMan
Post Whore!

DuffMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to DuffMan
Well most people use their car for drift, grip, drag or some combination of those 3.

Automatics suck for drifting. The suck for grip, because the auto will downshift at times you dont want to and suddenly you oversteer and loose control. Generally they suck for drag too, though I can see certain situations in which an auto would be preferable. Not likely on a street/drag car though.

If you just like to drive to work, and get groceries, autos are fine.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
SXual240

SXual240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SXual240
I see nothing wrong with an automatic.. i have a 98 S14 Auto with SR20DET in it and i love it.. it spools so much faster than a manual and i have earned alot of respect from the '5 speeders' in the area.. so i say that if you want an automatic don't listen to the crap that people give you because they are very capable of leaving a manual in the dust..

Nitrous is like a woman with an STD.. you wanna hit it.. but you're afraid of the consequences..
Old 01-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Bliss
Zilvia Addict

Bliss is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bliss Send a message via AIM to Bliss
for hard driving, when you want to stay in your power range, usually high in the powerband, an MT is better because YOU keep the car where you want it. On the dragstrip, most ATs can shift faster than you or me, so they are better.

Get what you want.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
Advan
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the current inputs, but what I had in mind was that, what I would do, is that once I got the car auto or manual, I was going to hook it up to get some more horses, put on a kit, maybe a turbo. It's just an idea, that may not even take off, because I live in Orlando, FL. Too much traffic and such to deal with. But my main goal was to not only make it a daily driver, but also make it a pretty fast car. Maybe enter it in an import show for fun...just an idea.

Last edited by Advan; 01-19-2004 at 03:25 PM..
Old 01-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
automatic REALLY sucks for mountain driving
Old 01-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
TougeRacing
Zilvia Junkie

TougeRacing has a little shameless behavior in the past
autos sucks my balls
Old 01-20-2004, 01:28 AM   #9
stealthj
Zilvia Junkie

stealthj is making a name for him/her selfstealthj is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to stealthj
i have an auto

it sucks big balls- 4speed sucks
Old 01-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
SXual240

Well.. everyone has their opinions.. personally i don't like 5 speeds because of the time it takes to shift rather than you don't even have to worry about shifting in an auto.. but i don't go bashing 5 speeds either.. so i don't see any reason for anyone to bash auto's.. just my opinion

Nitrous is like a woman with an STD.. you wanna hit it.. but you're afraid of the consequences..
Old 01-20-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
mistaanime
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
mistaanime is making a name for him/her selfmistaanime is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mistaanime
it's juss wut others think..autos are aiite for daily drivers...still perfer 5spd tho...hehe
Old 01-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
lazyyy-.-
Leaky Injector

lazyyy-.- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lazyyy-.-
i have an auto too. i don't bash it or anything...i'm just planning on swapping it out...preferably soon.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advan
Too much traffic and such to deal with. But my main goal was to not only make it a daily driver, but also make it a pretty fast car. Maybe enter it in an import show for fun...just an idea.
"Import Show for fun" You seriously don't sound like a zilvia type member. Stick around and learn more before you go out and buy a 240sx. Automatics suck for drag in general. Automatics suck for drifting. Automatics like the ones in 240sx's suck for track driving. The only thing automatics are good for is to get your ass to work and back, even that sucks in my opinion. Some of us here drive in traffic with 6 puck clutches and stiff ass suspension in los angeles traffic or San Diego traffic (even worse) so get over your theory about automatics and get yourself a manual. Have you ever driven a manual?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #14
charlie@justdrift
Zilvia FREAK!

charlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond reputecharlie@justdrift has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to charlie@justdrift Send a message via Yahoo to charlie@justdrift
actually... i dunno why people are dissin` automatic cars. i just have equal fun with it! i went to speedtrial with my automatic s13. i got moved to advance class because i diced too much. then they have open passing on the advance class... so i played there with my automatic s13. no body there said anything about my auto s13 being eww.... yuck... or wtf?
because people know how to have fun. actually... when i started drifting my auto people at the stand where clapping and shouting.
it's how you have fun with whatever you have at that time. so those who think auto are eww.. yuck... or wtf? needs to widen their mind and think outside the box... gear box that is.

the head of my auto s13 peeking out... hehehehe...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
SXual240

Hmmm.. that's all i have to say about that.. hmmm.. >snicker<

Old 01-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #16
lee180

lee180 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got an auto S14 & im gonna keep it an auto but i luv my 5 speed 180 more
Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #17
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
charlie aside...autos for the general "drift populace" do lick balls..for that matter the average "joe autocrosser" will also say they suck..lol..you have to wait for them...they change unexpectedly at times...they offer less control...

on the drag strip, however, they are as fast, if not faster, once boosted and modded...level 10 makes some great valve body and torque converter upgrades..you WILL stay in boost better and shift quicker...but who wants to drag?..dragging also licks balls...

for to and from work and avg daily driving they are nice...much easier...nice on road trips...etc...LS430, S500, 745i are, and should be, primarily autos...

240sx has NO business being an auto..at least not when owned by a performance enthusiast...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM   #18
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftheaven
actually... i dunno why people are dissin` automatic cars. i just have equal fun with it! i went to speedtrial with my automatic s13. i got moved to advance class because i diced too much. then they have open passing on the advance class... so i played there with my automatic s13. no body there said anything about my auto s13 being eww.... yuck... or wtf?
because people know how to have fun. actually... when i started drifting my auto people at the stand where clapping and shouting.
it's how you have fun with whatever you have at that time. so those who think auto are eww.. yuck... or wtf? needs to widen their mind and think outside the box... gear box that is.
You ever tried heel and toeing with an auto. Same as manual, except you throw it into neutral instead of clutching and then throw it down into second for a nice smoothe downshift. I have to admit that I had fun with mine but yearned for more. It just isn't the same. It can be fun but manual is more fun.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
TheTicTac
Zilvia Junkie

TheTicTac is a well-known jackass
I don't get it why do you want to heel toe in an automatic?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #20
THX1138
Zilvia Member

THX1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You ever tried heel and toeing with an auto. Same as manual, except you throw it into neutral instead of clutching and then throw it down into second for a nice smoothe downshift. I have to admit that I had fun with mine but yearned for more. It just isn't the same. It can be fun but manual is more fun.
My first car was a 1974 260Z with an automatic, and I used to do that all the time. At first I used my left foot for the brake, but figured if I was gonna do it, I may as well do it right. It certainly made it easier to get heel-toe downshifting down when I started driving manual.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #21
nocomedown
Zilvia FREAK!

nocomedown has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to nocomedown
Manual is just more fun to drive than automatic, and you have more control over your car. that's all there is to it. i agree that cars like LS400s and big sedans like that should be automatic, but those are meant to serve a different purpose than a 240sx. i think that all sports cars should be manual because you dont get the full experience unless it is. the main excuse i hear from people around here with automatic sports cars is "i'm too lazy to drive a manual" which is complete BS. its like 2nd nature after a week.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #22
Advan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
"Import Show for fun" You seriously don't sound like a zilvia type member. Stick around and learn more before you go out and buy a 240sx.
Which is why I joined this forum. But the import show part, was just an idea. That doesn't mean that I'm going to do it. Besides, I'm just gaining more knowledge about Silvia's than what I already know(which is very small).

Quote:
So get over your theory about automatics and get yourself a manual. Have you ever driven a manual?
Yes I've driven a manual before. All i asked was what's so wrong with an automatic.

Edit: Drifting is waht I really want to do, but since we don't(assumption)have drifting in florida, because everyone is still into dragging on streets, I'm close to giving up on drifting, and stick to learning the ins&outs of a 240 and making it faster, and last longer.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #23
initial s14
Zilvia Member

initial s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought an auto coz it was the only s-14 that was soooooo clean looking and well maintained at the time i was shopping for a 240sx thus also owned by some 50 year old lady..
i bought it knowing that automatics are mostly adult owned and well taken care of...
and wont break on me at least for a loooooooong time.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #24
initial s14
Zilvia Member

initial s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
<cont.>..... if i had to drive a stick.... i would prefer it brand new car .. second hand 5-speed cars tend to scare me... coz i will never know how it was driven by some street punk that used to own it...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #25
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
my car used to be an automatic (until two weeks ago when i made it a 5spd) and i really cant say too many bad things about it...

i used to autox with it as an automatic, and it kinda sucked (i mean, its really not designed for it) and now it seems like i have a brand new car with a stick. for drag racing the stock automatic shifts about the same as someone who knows how to...what everyone is talking about is a built auto made for drag, put in a high stall with a turbo and you will roast the crap out of a stick...in a drag, on any other type of racing a stick will do a lot better

-glen
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #26
Advan
Zilvia Member

Whats a high stall?
Another thing I had in mind for a 240, once I learned the in & outs of it, was that, if not putting in a turbo, I would've done a port polish, lighter flywheel etc...and do some more engine work and get hp without a turbo.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #27
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
Anyone that talks shit on autos needs to head on over to supraforums and get their azz "Sacked". I hear a lot of immaturity around here concerning that aspect of cars. There are many advantages and disadvantages to both side that can be thoroughly researched.

There always seems to be alot of misinformation around here, especially when it's based on personal preference, and not studies or professional representation. Hearsay is bad for everyone and contagious, one person hears it on one board and spreads it to another and from there it metastasizes like a cancerous tumor...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #28
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
a high stall is a high stall converter which allows you to get your revs up on the line causing your turbo to spool up as well (if you have one)
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 PM   #29
kat240

kat240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kat240
i happen to have an automatic... i think it's alrite, when i drift i stay in 2nd. But i think i prefer driving a 5spd... which i why i'm looking for an MT
Old 01-20-2004, 09:00 PM   #30
transient
Premium Member

transient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to transient Send a message via AIM to transient
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero.counter
Anyone that talks shit on autos needs to head on over to supraforums and get their azz "Sacked". I hear a lot of immaturity around here concerning that aspect of cars. There are many advantages and disadvantages to both side that can be thoroughly researched.

There always seems to be alot of misinformation around here, especially when it's based on personal preference, and not studies or professional representation. Hearsay is bad for everyone and contagious, one person hears it on one board and spreads it to another and from there it metastasizes like a cancerous tumor...
Right now, I'm driving a Buick Century wagon. Obviously it's not a sports car, but it's still got some funky behaviour that is just bullshit. I was driving around a corner once and the thing downshifted nearly making me lose control... that's not cool. Of all the auto's I've driven, they never seem to be in the right gear. Either they're too high or they're downshifting at an inoportune time as mentioned previously. Auto's are shit for anything but daily driving and drag racing. No supra freak with an overblown ego is going to change my mind about that.