Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 S13 Fuel light issue, Everyones input needed.

Ok so I have searched here, other forums AND google, there are no follow ups on solving the problem, from what i've read, it's a common issue.

I want to get Everyones input before I dig into this, I'm in the process of making how to videos on YouTube, anyways this issue has bothered me for years, my fuel light never comes on, in the 11 years I've owned my S13 I have only seen my fuel light come on one time, I had it parked on my steep driveway and it barely illuminated but it came on, since then I've run my car very low to where I park my car on the left side of my street and my car wouldn't start because the fuel won't reach the fuel pump because it's on the right side of the car and even run the car completely empty to see if it would illuminate with no success, I have a question for people that DO HAVE a working low fuel light, when you turn your key to the ACC without starting your car or when you do start your car, does the low fuel illuminate like the oil, check engine, battery lights? Also when you have low fuel, at what point does the low fuel light come on? As in 1/4 tank.

Also have any of you had a personal experience in fixing their fuel light?

Lots of people ask "what's in the fuel pump that sends signal to illuminate the low fuel light?" "what wires are for the fuel light?" "is there a sensor for the fuel light?" and so on.

FSM doesn't tell me what wires are for the low fuel light.

I have an 89 S13 coupe with the HUD. let's here Everyones theory, fix, fails and what you've tried, I don't care for the "you shouldn't let you car run that low anyways because it messes stuff up" I have had my car since 2001 and it's been my daily all 11 years and I have religiously run car on little to no fuel since day one and my car is still running.

I dont want to hear " who cares" because I do and I'm sure very few others do care also.
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Pro ViZIon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Pro ViZIon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There's a sensor I believe on the fuel pump assembly around the float. It basically just grounds out in the fuel I'm guessing. My light works but my gauge is inaccurate. Once I hit a 1/4 tank, if I'm making any right turns, any at all my gauge drops well past the 0 marker. But my light won't usually come on till the needle is almost pegged. Also when I turn on the car with low fuel the light won't appear immediately, rather after a few minutes of driving.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Mine stopped working but I'm not even sure when that happened
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Mine only came on once in 2004 I believe, since then I have tried, Tuesday it's supposed to be 50 degrees so I'm gonna pull the cluster out and change the bulb then the next few days I'll run as low as I can and see what happens, if not I am willing to dig deeper and fix the issue and will post a "how to" for the people that care
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
soryu
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
soryu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
my fuel light comes on but it barely illuminates then it turns off.
this happens all the time.(just above the E line)
if i keep driving for around another 8 to 12 miles then it turns on barely lit then regular brightness by this time the gauge is at the E line or under it.
i was also wondering if there's something wrong with the light.
or is this normal for s13's?

Last edited by soryu; 01-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: info
soryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Check the bulb and contact points on the back of the gauge cluster first.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
RyanS13
Zilvia Addict

RyanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
My fuel light works it always has.

It comes on just below the E (my fuel gauge is weird, its at E with about 3 gallons left).

At first it comes on really really dim, and as it gets lower it gets brighter and brighter until its fully lit. I've never had a problem with it once, and I've had the car for about 30,000 miles. The chassis has 202,000 on it.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
joemon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
joemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine comes on at almost pegged below E.
Just get your tank as empty as u feel comfortable with then take note of the gauge and trip meter miles(if it was reset to zero when last full up was) and full your tank up all the way and see how close to 15.9gallons you get to.

As far as I know 240sx have a 15.9 gallon tank.

Minus tank size with how much gas u put in and u will know how much gas u had b4 filled up.

Gas light may not go on till u get to at least 2 gallons
joemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
RyanS13
Zilvia Addict

RyanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemon View Post
Mine comes on at almost pegged below E.
Just get your tank as empty as u feel comfortable with then take note of the gauge and trip meter miles(if it was reset to zero when last full up was) and full your tank up all the way and see how close to 15.9gallons you get to.

As far as I know 240sx have a 15.9 gallon tank.

Minus tank size with how much gas u put in and u will know how much gas u had b4 filled up.

Gas light may not go on till u get to at least 2 gallons
Mine usually comes on right at about 13.7-13.9.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Great info guys, I know I've run my car completely dry on a level surface (my garage) so that makes be believe the light isn't working, I will start tearing things apart in a few minutes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

I'm also thinking I should add an LED bulb, that way when power goes to it it will light up instantly and bright, unlike a regular light bulb that can come on dim at first and get brighter after a little while, an LED will be fully lit when it gets power to it.

Sorry for the multiple post, I'm on my iPhone and I can't edit my posts for some reason, makes my iPhone crash if I hit the edit button
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
jclarkness

jclarkness is an unknown quantity at this point
Did the LED fix your issue? Do you have any updates?

I have the same problem and I am interested in what you find out.
jclarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

TypeXFan is an unknown quantity at this point
s13

my 1st s13 my fuel gauge and light worked properly, but my newest one the fuel gauge is off by a 1/8th of a tank, and the fuel light never turns on, im assuming it has something to do with the sensor on the fuel pump, i havent gotten around to looking into it as i have other electrical issues to deal with atm.
TypeXFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Mine hasn't worked since my SR swap, Personally I just use the gauge instead. I also think my gauge is off as-well. Dam cars lmao, Not going to worry bout it too much =\.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
grimm199
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
grimm199 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have gotten my S14 UNDER the E and my light doesnt come on. I have only owned her for a few months so I dont really worry about it right now, but if someone can help find a sure fix to this, I may actually do it.
grimm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Ok need my question answered, to the people who's light works.... When you turn your key to the ACC or ON, does the fuel light pop on really quick light the check engine, oil, and battery lights? Need this info ASAP
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkin_707 View Post
Ok need my question answered, to the people who's light works.... When you turn your key to the ACC or ON, does the fuel light pop on really quick light the check engine, oil, and battery lights? Need this info ASAP
I'm almost certain nothing comes on for the gas light when in ACC/ON position. It's usually a greenish-yellow color and not red like the other indicators.

Damn, the last time I saw that little indicator was back in 2008 before I did my SR swap. It appeared almost below the E and my car started idling rough begging for more gas lol.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Thanks killer, just trying verify, I tried watching start up videos on YouTube and watch to see if I can see the gas light pop on when they turn their key, on one it did look like it did and on some others it appears it doesn't.... So I'm not sure if it does or not.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

If you really are curious you could always siphon the gas out of your tank and see if it comes on.

But yeah I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't come on, wish I could check for you but my car is down at the moment.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
DennisC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
DennisC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I usually run my S14 all the way down almost a quarter tank past the E mark and the gas light will turn on when I have about 1-2 gallon of gas left in the tank.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

@killer, I would try it but I filled up to the top lastnight, but before I filled up I went all week without getting gas and ran this sucker till the gas needle was at 'E' and wouldn't start at all, I would have checked my cluster with my voltmeter but I couldn't find it and was too lazy to pull out the cluster for the millionth time
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
@killer, I would try it but I filled up to the top lastnight, but before I filled up I went all week without getting gas and ran this sucker till the gas needle was at 'E' and wouldn't start at all, I would have checked my cluster with my voltmeter but I couldn't find it and was too lazy to pull out the cluster for the millionth time
A lot of the times it will be the cluster contact points where the bulb housing locks into. I'd pull the cluster out and check the bulb, it's most likely gone bad if you've never changed it. This would be a good time to upgrade your cluster to LEDs. When you take the bulbs out make sure there is metal to metal contact on each housing, when I took my cluster out a lot of them had poor contacts and I had to clean it up.

Check out my thread I made couple years ago, it actually shows the gauge cluster lights on and no gas light!

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/353488-gaug...-lighting.html
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, when I pulled the cluster out a few days ago I did change the bulb with an LED but didn't even think to check and clean the contacts, it's going to be 50 degrees out today so I'll pull my cluster out and check and clean the contacts, I bet it's something that easy too....lol thanks for the helpful tip
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
NooKa

Trader Rating: (2)
NooKa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NooKa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ViZIon View Post
There's a sensor I believe on the fuel pump assembly around the float. It basically just grounds out in the fuel I'm guessing. My light works but my gauge is inaccurate. Once I hit a 1/4 tank, if I'm making any right turns, any at all my gauge drops well past the 0 marker. But my light won't usually come on till the needle is almost pegged. Also when I turn on the car with low fuel the light won't appear immediately, rather after a few minutes of driving.
Mine just started doing this nonsense at the 1/4 mark last night. Drove to a movie with roughly 1/4 tank. Left a couple hours later and saw my gauge buried. Kept fluctuating all over the place, from pegged bellow E to 1/4 tank. Really annoying. Anyone have an idea as to what causes this?

And to the original poster, my current fuel light doesn't work (haven't checked bulb/contact points yet) but on my past 2 S13's, it does progessively come up to full illumination. Typically it does take very long once it starts, a few miles between dim to fully lit.

On another note, is it safe to say that if your fuel gauge works properly, the low fuel light should work as well.

Happy hunting, and I hope this is resolved. Little issues like this make me want a newer car.

- Nick
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I have an opposite problem as others with my fuel light, mine is constantly lit no matter how full or empty. When I got my car the corner bulb was burnt out so I replaced all of the cluster lights with wide angle LED's and they all work great but now I see that my light is on all the time.

Any suggestions on that? problem?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtuned_andy View Post
I have an opposite problem as others with my fuel light, mine is constantly lit no matter how full or empty. When I got my car the corner bulb was burnt out so I replaced all of the cluster lights with wide angle LED's and they all work great but now I see that my light is on all the time.

Any suggestions on that? problem?
you probably have bad wiring somewhere, or the wire is being grounded when it shouldnt be, whatever it is you should check it out

OP: I have been asking around for 6 months about this same problem. I have been told by 3-4 people that their fuel light bulb comes on at ignition ACC before ON

In my coupe that I have had for 10 years, similar to you, I have 89 HUD with SR. my fuel light used to work the first few years. But i never looked to see at that time if fuel light bulb came on at ACC. Everything on my cluster works great. I have checked all bulbs and tried 5 different bulbs in the fuel light socket with nothing working.

I also have an issue with my fuel guage only going up to 3/4 after a fill up, it never did that before.

I would assume after years of daily driving and tracking and abuse, i also think i have a dent in my fuel tank from a jack now too, I also had installed a walbro 8 years ago which is still working great. Nothing I have done has changed the bulb or guage.

A few times my guage went to full, which blew my mind, I thought I had figure it out. But I was wrong.

I tried putting a dohc regular analog cluster in, fuel guage still at 3/4 and fuel light doesnt come on.

In my opinion. I believe it is the sending unit in the fuel tank.

for the 3/4 thing, I bet it has something to do with the floater dislodging or something like that. I think since this thread is so recent, I am going to go pull my fuel pump and check all of that so I can take pics and try to get everyone answers.

Last but not least I bough a 91 Hatch recently and the fuel light is the same bs, doesnt come on.
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

@ jtuned, do you know if your fuel needle is reading correctly? Does sound like its being grounded out somewhere, maybe the sensor in the fuel tank is stuck "on"

@vatche, I can't get a straight answer about the light coming on at ACC people say yes it comes on and others say no it doesn't come on, one thing i just thought of was to turn the car on to the ACC but not starting the car then pulling out the fuel sending unit out just enough for the floater to go down as if there was no fuel and checking the cluster to see if it illuminates, I may do that today.

Can anyone with a working low fuel light post a pic when their car is low and it's lit up? I want to see how low the needle is when it's supposed to come on "normally"

Last edited by Mishkin_707; 04-08-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

The last time I saw the low fuel light on my car was back when it was SOHC. By the time I saw the light my car was on the verge of fuel starvation, it was running extremely rough.

Currently, my DOHC cluster works in its entirety and with ACC on the only thing that happens is the clock illumination and the radio turns on.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
@ jtuned, do you know if your fuel needle is reading correctly? Does sound like its being grounded out somewhere, maybe the sensor in the fuel tank is stuck "on"
The gauge operates fine, it will go up and down. It doesn't seem to stick anywere in the needle range. I have run the tank pretty low but not to the point where it stalls out.

Does anyone know what part of the tree that drops into the fuel tank are the wires for a sender unit. would a break in the line cause a constant light?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Thanks killer, loving the info, it got rainy out so I didn't pull my fuel pump but I may just put a jack on the right side and lift the car see if it lights up, better than pulling the fuel pump, sorry I haven't kept up with this but I am still working on this and WILL finish this and post up every finding, trial and errors and the fix, thanks everyone!