Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Anyone used - STANCE subframe conversion bushing

Im getting a s14 subframe tomorrow and need to buy conversion bushing as the s14 SF is wider than the s13. I was looking at the SPL ones because i thought they were the only US company(easy to get) bushing for the conversion. then I came across these.

Stance Nissan 240SX Subframe Conversion Bushing Set
For the price these seem to be the best deal, and through FRsport they are free shipping.They look to be press in, but maybe they epoxy in like PBM ones? also they raise the subframe 10mm, so good for roll center!

Anyone using these and like them/hate them?

Are they press-in, like the SPL?

Are they epoxy-in, like PBM?

Thanks,
Zac
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
KaminaSan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
KaminaSan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
Im getting a s14 subframe tomorrow and need to buy conversion bushing as the s14 SF is wider than the s13. I was looking at the SPL ones because i thought they were the only US company(easy to get) bushing for the conversion. then I came across these.

Stance Nissan 240SX Subframe Conversion Bushing Set
For the price these seem to be the best deal, and through FRsport they are free shipping.They look to be press in, but maybe they epoxy in like PBM ones? also they raise the subframe 10mm, so good for roll center!

Anyone using these and like them/hate them?

Are they press-in, like the SPL?

Are they epoxy-in, like PBM?

Thanks,
Zac
1.)Do you daily drive your car?
If Yes move on to question 2.

2.)Do you enjoy the feeling of having your ass pounded by the feeling of every single bump, crack rock on the road? If yes: BUY these. If no: Don't do it.

Solid Aluminium/Aluminum bushings are no joke. Imagine coilovers on full stiff all the time.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have them. Nice quality product. Definatly sucks for daily driving haha
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaminaSan View Post

2.)Do you enjoy the feeling of having your ass pounded by the feeling of every single bump, crack rock on the road? If yes: BUY these. If no: Don't do it.

Solid Aluminium/Aluminum bushings are no joke. Imagine coilovers on full stiff all the time.
I daily my s13 with the PBM solid raisers, its not the matter of ride quality. I know solid bushing are rough, im was looking for the quality of the product and how they install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towlie View Post
I have them. Nice quality product. Definatly sucks for daily driving haha
thanks towlie, glad to hear they are good quality. can anyone tell me how they install?(press in, epoxy in)

and yes, I have searched them too
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
There is a DIY thread in Tech for this so search....

But its burn out rubber bushings, cut and chisel out the casing, epoxy and slide them in....

you don't need to epoxy them if you have a friend helping you, its just a pain cause if you don't, those things will try to slide out and move around while you are pusshing up the subframe which is FRUSTRATING RAWR!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
fakts13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaminaSan View Post

solid bushings aren't THAT bad. i will admit, they do make a difference, but i wouldn't go as far as saying you'd feel every single bump, crack and rock on the road. but then again, when i daily drove mine, i was in my early 20's and was probably a lot more tolerant of things like that.
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
mendozasport
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mendozasport is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i wouldnt think that you epoxy them in , remember that these are to center the SF, so if you glue them in and they dont alighn your screwed,
what i did instaling PBM's is i drilled and welded a small nut on all 4 corners and put a bolt threw it so it would press the bushings while i reinstaled the SF.....
i have seen where some guys remove the second ring and the bushing wiggles around to much, that might need to be filled in with epoxy, other than that , washer a torque to spec and thats it
as far as the product in discucion i have not used it or know of anybody that has , but would like to get feed back if you use it, they may work for AE86 /s13 subframe
mendozasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
olah.inc
Zilvia Member

olah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enough
no poly conversion bushes?
olah.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olah.inc View Post
no poly conversion bushes?
I dont thin there are any poly bushing for the conversion.

AND I know how to install solid bushings....I have installed normal SPL press-in ones and PBM epoxy-in ones before. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A DIY INSTALL ON SOLID SUBFRAME BUSHINGS.

I was looking for the style these install?

1. Press-in?

2. Epoxy-in?

im assuming these are press-in...but if they move the subframe up 10mm, that means there is around 2.6mm of wiggle room between the subframe and frame rails. And if the bushing loosens up then the subframe will move.

- OEM has about 1/2"(12.6) between subframe and frame rail.
- 12.6-10mm = 2.6 wiggle room
- STANCE bushing design dont have a top lip to keep subframe from moving up if it gets loose.

if I am wrong about anything let me know....
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Well the spl ones come with extra spacers to take up the extra room.

I used SPL when putting s14 subframe in my s13 a couple months ago. Worked great.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
There is a DIY thread in Tech for this so search....

But its burn out rubber bushings, cut and chisel out the casing, epoxy and slide them in....

you don't need to epoxy them if you have a friend helping you, its just a pain cause if you don't, those things will try to slide out and move around while you are pusshing up the subframe which is FRUSTRATING RAWR!!!
This.

Hey el gribro, has that made a noticable differance in handeling? The s14 subframe, I mean.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
This.

Hey el gribro, has that made a noticable differance in handeling? The s14 subframe, I mean.
Supposed to increase grip in the rear because of the lower arm positions.

is it harder to get the rear end out?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
towlie
Post Whore!

Oh right, Alex is into that auto-x shit lol
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
I dont thin there are any poly bushing for the conversion.

AND I know how to install solid bushings....I have installed normal SPL press-in ones and PBM epoxy-in ones before. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A DIY INSTALL ON SOLID SUBFRAME BUSHINGS.

I was looking for the style these install?

1. Press-in?

2. Epoxy-in?

im assuming these are press-in...but if they move the subframe up 10mm, that means there is around 2.6mm of wiggle room between the subframe and frame rails. And if the bushing loosens up then the subframe will move.

- OEM has about 1/2"(12.6) between subframe and frame rail.
- 12.6-10mm = 2.6 wiggle room
- STANCE bushing design dont have a top lip to keep subframe from moving up if it gets loose.

if I am wrong about anything let me know....
seems like they have some "slide-in shims" to adjust the height of of the sub-frame, which i would assume get sandwiched in there when the sub-frame nuts are tightened, locking everything in place. this is what i think, looking at pictures on the spl website and reading their description of the bushings. also, the website claims that their bushing will allow the subframe to go up to 1/2" higher.

edit: i'm sorry, i just remembered you're looking at the stance bushings, not the spl bushings

Last edited by fakts13; 03-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: careless error
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Oh right, Alex is into that auto-x shit lol
blah blah

This weekend is going to be the first (autox) event I make, but I've redone the whole suspension this winter so not sure I'll be able to pinpoint anything specifically. I run rs3s and star specs so I try not to burn those off as I can't afford frequent replacements.

Yes, the spl bushings have the shims. You have to pound out the car a bit to fit the s14 subframe, just as an fyi. The hammer work becomes obvious when you're trying to reinstall.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
blah blah

This weekend is going to be the first (autox) event I make, but I've redone the whole suspension this winter so not sure I'll be able to pinpoint anything specifically. I run rs3s and star specs so I try not to burn those off as I can't afford frequent replacements.

Yes, the spl bushings have the shims. You have to pound out the car a bit to fit the s14 subframe, just as an fyi. The hammer work becomes obvious when you're trying to reinstall.
Do you mean where the subframe hump hits the floor of the car?

Also e1_griego are you planing on doing any of the PIR driving club classes this spring? Once I just this s14 subframe in and my driftwork knuckles show up ill be going to try a couple of those out and maybe the pats acres drift if they are still doing that.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Yeah, the s14 subframe at the front has a hump whereas the s13 subframe at the front is flat. You have to clearance the car to fit it.

I did the Cascade school @ PIR last year.

Sticking to autox this year (OR SCCA, PCA, NWAA, etc) because the mortgage has killed the budget

btw I think we met at the Tualatin meet a few months ago. Show up this week and chat.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
towlie
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
You have to pound out the car a bit to fit the s14 subframe, just as an fyi. The hammer work becomes obvious when you're trying to reinstall.
wait a minute...

Translation:
I pounded the shit out of my subframe.

I am disappoint!

you didnt take it to a shop and have them re-engineer it with custom fabricated points on the s14 subframe to make it a one stop bolt in process?

tsk tsk.

on a more serious note, please point me in the direction of this PIR driving school
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
e1_griego
Post Whore!

No, you move the car to fit the subframe. Pay attention now.

Cascade Sports Car Club - Driver's Training
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

MotorsportReg.com : Online registration management tools for driving and social events
you can see what dates they have the driving the class at PIR and the cost
Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #21
towlie
Post Whore!

So....

I chop my springs?

Lawlz

This PIR deal looks legit.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

I called and talked with TF about the stance bushings and they said that the 10mm lift of the subframe from the bushings is a rough estimate and will put the SF up agaisnt the chassis just like the PBM ones. Also they told me that instead of having to hammer out the tranny tunnel so the s14 SF doesnt hit, they cut around a 1/2" of the hump and welded a flat steel plate in. I decided to take that approach but take about 3/4" just to be safe...

Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #23
towlie
Post Whore!

Are you using s13 subframe bushings?

Also don't forget to hit it with some paint to prevent rust lol
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Are you using s13 subframe bushings?

Also don't forget to hit it with some paint to prevent rust lol
already hit it with some ACE rust stop and nope i have the stance bushings on their way.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
e1_griego
Post Whore!

That's awesome -- considered that mid-subframe-swap but hammering the car out took about 20sec haha.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #26
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
You realize that wasn't even going to hit right -_____-

I've had PBM risers s13 subrame = No issue.

SPL s13>s14 conversion risers = No issue.
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #27
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
It does hit the chassis even with stock bushings. It's not hard to bang/pry on the chassis though.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Maybe when I tightened the sub frame it just pushed it up then? It must be very minimal...
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I dont know how much it has to move up...

Either way I was bored and still have to wait for bushings, knuckles and tie rods to show up, so why not play with the welder.

I also didn't want any extra noise coming from the subframe rubbing on the chassis, now im almost guaranteed its not going to hit.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #30
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Bushings showed up today, look alot like pbm raisers. Im going to press them in tomorrow and post up how easily they go in.