Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
jdingui94

Trader Rating: (0)
jdingui94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 how to add throttle response n a lil hp

okay so my cars complete stock no engine modds except a muffler. but wats the best way to add throttle response n a lil hp i heard a short ram cold air intake will do the lil hp in a mag is that true?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
save your money, learn to drive the car.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
You won't gain much unless your intake is clogged up from a dirty air filter or something. Bolt ons dont do much for N/A KAs.

Try getting a lightened flywheel for better throttle response.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Try learning how an engine works, then come back and ask questions.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Go buy a real motor.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Driveshaft shop (DSS) 1-Piece driveshaft for throttle response <3
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
s14canyoncity
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
s14canyoncity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
buy the KA-T kit im putting together ....
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
nicho919
Leaky Injector

nicho919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle response? ITBs, or port and polish your throttle body. Port matching your intake manifold might be a good idea too.

Alternatively, you could stop watching fast and furious. My car is basically shitty bolt ons only, and the throttle response is explosive. I seriously doubt you have a problem that isn't dvd-player related.
nicho919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
TUnity2
Zilvia Junkie

TUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of light
smaller throttlebody pully?
TUnity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Mooch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
You won't gain much unless your intake is clogged up from a dirty air filter or something. Bolt ons dont do much for N/A KAs.

Try getting a lightened flywheel for better throttle response.
Your pretty much an idiot and no one should ever take advice from you. Bolt on's actually help ANY engine. Pick up any Project Car Magazine and you would learn that. A short ram intake does help a little with response but not a significant amount. A smaller throttle body pulley will help as well. Do a simple tune up and you'll notice a bit of a difference.

For small HP gains, Cold air intake, exhaust, header etc.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
nicho919
Leaky Injector

nicho919 is an unknown quantity at this point
A smaller throttle body pulley will only give you an illusion of more throttle response. It won't actually change how fast your car picks up revs after you hit the gas, it will just make your gas mileage shittier and make your car harder to launch. A port and polish of the intake tract with port matching to your intake manifold will net you a bit of a pump in both throttle response and a barely noticeable increase in horsepower. Knife edging the throttle body helps too, but it is easy to ruin a perfectly good butterfly plate doing this. A short ram on a KA will likely free up 1-3 whp, but will drastically alter the sound of your car. The problem with heat soak off of the radiator won't go away with a cold air intake either. Switching air filters will be barely noticeable, if at all. Don't spend a million bucks on what amounts to a piece of chromed pipe. Spend that money on an AEM dryflo air filter, and get some garbage shit intake pipe. The difference between something like a ebay intake with a dryflo filter and a K&N intake with a K&N filter will be un-noticeable. To increase throttle response, make sure all your vacuum leaks are gone. Running premium fuel will help as well, assuming your ECU has no faults already. Changing your spark plugs to something like an NGK Iridium, with something like NGK or Granetelli wires, changing your distributor cap, and button, and changing your oil will also help.

In short, just get your shit up and running the way it was meant to be from the factory is the first step to any build. And yes, a short ram intake will help, and since you're buying a paper filter every 12,000 miles anyways, you'll probably save money with a lifetime cone.

Edit : Also, replace that muffler with a catback, or if you feel like dumping more money, a full system exhaust. A muffler on the end of stock pipes will probably HURT performance. A muffler on 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes will net you lots of things, but on stock pipes, a muffler won't do you a bit of good.
nicho919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Your pretty much an idiot and no one should ever take advice from you. Bolt on's actually help ANY engine. Pick up any Project Car Magazine and you would learn that. A short ram intake does help a little with response but not a significant amount. A smaller throttle body pulley will help as well. Do a simple tune up and you'll notice a bit of a difference.

No, youre the idiot. It's a fucking NA-KA, you won't make enough power to hardly feel with simple bolt ons.

Of course, these statements that you argue against are coming from people that have actually ran motors with significantly higher horsepower. We know what we're talking about, at least some of us. Just leave it be untill you can sink money into something that's worth it.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
jdingui94

jdingui94 is an unknown quantity at this point
nicho919
thanks for the response unlike all the other ppl who post dumb/rude things urs was rather helpful. and to all the other pppl sorry im only 17 n no i dont watch f&f and dream about my car. no i rather be realistic n do things right and have other ppls opinions. but anyways i should just buy the short ram intake?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Intake, exhaust and header are pretty much the most cost effective mods for n/a ka. You can also advance the timing a few degrees to pick up a couple horses, but I would use a higher octane gas if you do it. Surprisingly enough there are some nice gains to be had with some JWT cams and a JWT ecu flash. Not exactly cheap though
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Mooch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csomme View Post
No, youre the idiot. It's a fucking NA-KA, you won't make enough power to hardly feel with simple bolt ons.

Of course, these statements that you argue against are coming from people that have actually ran motors with significantly higher horsepower. We know what we're talking about, at least some of us. Just leave it be untill you can sink money into something that's worth it.
You and az240 must be busy suckin each others dicks. He asked for help with "LIL" hp gains, not monster mega drag numbers that you butt pirates have cause your SOOOO awesome with your HUGE horesepower cars and your wealth of fucking knowledge. All you do is lurk the world wide web posting useless bullshit that no one cares about because you got no love from your daddy.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
240zach
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
240zach is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
god this thread was funny to read. lol u can drift with an all stock ka, if anything...get electric fans and if you really want to do headers and a lightened flywheel to rev faster...
240zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingui94 View Post
okay so my cars complete stock no engine modds except a muffler. but wats the best way to add throttle response n a lil hp i heard a short ram cold air intake will do the lil hp in a mag is that true?
Ummmm

Well there are some very simple ways to tune the motor for maximum LACK of throttle response and maybe make the current level better....

Simple ways is don't go too big on your exhaust piping diameter. Don't mess with the length of it either. Don't use huge can type mufflers on small piping, actually don't use them at all if you can avoid them....unless you have some massive increase in VE through the motor from a giant turbo or head engineeringzlolz. Bigger throttle body, long runners + smaller plenum intake manifold. The air box and filter deletion don't really do as much as you think, it's actually more of an auditory illusion
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
daryl337
Zilvia Junkie

daryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to daryl337
Steve's right about the throttle response.

Opening up the exhaust system will actually decrease the sensation of throttle response, because you are losing backpressure. You can however gain a little bit of higher rpm power.

On a side note, JESUS STEVE 7,823 POSTS? I leave the boards for a couple of years... and you jump like 5K posts.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
brizanden
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
brizanden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brizanden
putting a open exhuast and nicer filter on the intake will help a ka enough to feel it. they like to breath, but like stated before do a tune up if you havent getting good spark and fuel will make your car feel so much better.

^^electric fans are a bad idea unless you need the space. a clutch fan and shroud is the most efficient cost effective route to keep your engine cool.
brizanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
cone filter adapter...the engine wont run right if you change the length of piping to the maf, ...its basic engine design, you need as a general rule of thumb 5diameters down stream from the maf, and 8diameters up stream...now most of the time there is no way in hell of getting 8diameters length upstream from the maf, so companies will typically try to just smooth out airflow, but that length of tubing from the maf to the throttlebody is what the maf is calibrated for, so when people change that length they always end up posting up wondering why their motor suddenly runs funny, and that may be why...back in the 80s ford actually had tunable mafs for this very reason of upstream and downstream piping lengths...so just leave the stock shit between throttle body and maf, its plastic it doesnt heatsoak and it bolts into the car nice, plus the according fittings really dont screw up airflow that much...

thats why i suggest just getting a maf cone adapter and make sure you either mount the IAT sensor on it, or right next to the filter somehow...i actually drilled and tapped in some inserts into my filter adapter and made my own gaskets and got the IAT mounted up to the maf adapter rather cleanly if i must say so...i did it on my beat old daily single cam...it helped a bit with throttle response, doubt it really changed hp...ALSO DONT USE AN OILED FILTER, it will eat your maf, get a paper element filter or AEM dryflow
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #21
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:

HAHA wtf.... I said he won't gain much.... which is pretty much the same thing you said dipshit. Won't gain much = small gains. Think about what you say before you say it n00b.

Have fun wasting your money.

Quote:
You and az240 must be busy suckin each others dicks. He asked for help with "LIL" hp gains, not monster mega drag numbers that you butt pirates have cause your SOOOO awesome with your HUGE horesepower cars and your wealth of fucking knowledge. All you do is lurk the world wide web posting useless bullshit that no one cares about because you got no love from your daddy.
And what exactly have you contributed?
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #22
bradjolena

bradjolena is an unknown quantity at this point
Im gonna post here cause everyone is argueing and i feel left out!!!!!!!!!
bradjolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
job4ac0wboy
Leaky Injector

job4ac0wboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly...ive got a na ka with only bolt ons. Its perfectly fine. Besides, i ran my buddys bone stock ka and its clearly helpful.

But to start worrying about power/torque, it does have to run right first. Wires and plugs are a good starting tune up like previously stated. If you want to go a little more into tuning up clean your injectors properly, test fuel pressure, make sure your running temp is good, etc...ALWAYS KEEP CLUTCH FAN. Always. In the winter, i remove my ac belt to relieve un-needed stress on my engine. Just little things all add up before getting into worrying about power. And dont even think about boost. Lol. Just causes problems and unless you have 24/7 to fix leaks and misc. problems, then dont. Specially if you dont know exaclty how the engine works entirely you will be completly lost with a turbo.
job4ac0wboy is offline   Reply With Quote