Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikey88 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR 1 rocker arm floated WTF!!

heres the issue my no.2 cyl rocker arm keep floating...and another issue is during startup my motor would rev super high then idle...this is the second time i threw a rocker on the cyl 2 exhaust side... could that lifter not be operating right or not priming enough which causes the rocker to do that?
Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

update: after replacing the broken rocker i ran the engine again but i broke another again!! the rpm when the rocker broke was 1200 idk why so low when it broke cause id imagine if it bounced off the rev limiter i might of had a chance too but it never got close
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
LimeLite Racing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
LimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Get rocker arm stoppers.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
drift213
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
drift213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLite Racing View Post
Get rocker arm stoppers.
^^^^^ ding ding ding there is a solution to your problem
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

okay ima give a set a try but if there's a possibility that there is valve float would RAS save the rockers even at that low of an rpm breakage
Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might have other problems. Ask yourself why did it come off in the first place. Might be a shim missing etc... RAS alone will not solve your problem; Look into it more.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

No shims were missing and they were correctly placed for some reason it's always the left part if the rocker
Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
can you easily push down on the lifter? if its not nice and tight it may be allowing the rocker to fly off. You shouldnt really be able to push the lifter down with your hand. bleed or replace and bleed. Rocker arm stoppers are a preventative measure, not a solution.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

I'll rebleed the lifters when I get a chance to more than likely after this storm blows over here in cali since my cars outside
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLite Racing View Post
Get rocker arm stoppers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift213 View Post
^^^^^ ding ding ding there is a solution to your problem
Uhhhhhg. RAS aren't going to fix this issue...in fact if anythign it'll probably help lead to bending a valve, especially if it wasnt' to throw the rocker.

RAS are a dual edged sword, not a fix. Yes I have one, but I understand that it will bend hard parts at the same time will potentially catching a rocker at a potential mis shift.

The engine isn't going to magically throw rockers...remember countless Sentras drive daily without even knowing what a RAS is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88 View Post
heres the issue my no.2 cyl rocker arm keep floating...and another issue is during startup my motor would rev super high then idle...this is the second time i threw a rocker on the cyl 2 exhaust side... could that lifter not be operating right or not priming enough which causes the rocker to do that?
DId it throw the first one out of the blue/randomly? Or was this after some sort of cam swap or work? Does it happen immediatly?

I'd work on checking out the lifter itself, and unsuring nothing else is broken on that cylinder (perhaps a broken spring?)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

DId it throw the first one out of the blue/randomly? Or was this after some sort of cam swap or work? Does it happen immediatly?

I'd work on checking out the lifter itself, and unsuring nothing else is broken on that cylinder (perhaps a broken spring?)
It was pretty much out of the blue it was idling and then I started getting an intake backfire so I took the cover off and saw the rocker was broken so I replaced it and idled it with the cover off and saw it broke the second time there are new valves and springs. It didn't happen imediatelly it's seems right when the oil pressure builds up
Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Push down on the HLA's to make sure you CANT.

if they go down, take them out, submerge them in oil, stick a baby alan wrench or some kind of needle inside and push in and out until you dont see any more bubbles.

then stick it back in.

also, maybe shims got misplaces or its time to reshim.

check out this super simple write up i made on how to reshim your head lOL

How-To SR Valve Shimming. - Socal-Drift
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
Push down on the HLA's to make sure you CANT.

if they go down, take them out, submerge them in oil, stick a baby alan wrench or some kind of needle inside and push in and out until you dont see any more bubbles.

then stick it back in.

also, maybe shims got misplaces or its time to reshim.

check out this super simple write up i made on how to reshim your head lOL

How-To SR Valve Shimming. - Socal-Drift
I have a dial indicator do I need to have the head out on a workbench to get a good accurate reading or can I do it in the engine bay?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't matter, but you need to have the modified dial indicator
Old 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88 View Post
I have a dial indicator do I need to have the head out on a workbench to get a good accurate reading or can I do it in the engine bay?
you can do it with the motor still in the car. First check those lifters... I bet you just need to bleed them better.

As said already, I'll reiterate, don't buy RAS to solve this... It will not...

Not that this has anything to do with this, as you said your car will idle, but when my #4 ate a throttle body screw it momentarily got pinched in the valve seat and since the valve couldn't travel back up, the arm was kicked... Does it look like all the valves return to their position? Just something to note.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote