Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
wbarrett48473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
s14 S14 HUD-Need Help (LARGE Pics)

I've had a couple of these clusters collecting dust for some time now and have decided its time to put them to work.

The problem is that it's been impossible to get a complete wiring harness for the cluster and finding a Japanese version of the FSM hasn't been working out either.

The following image is the only one I could find that relates to the HUD cluster and I have filled in the parts I know, but unfortunately I cant read Japanese and the English versions of the SR20 S14 FSM are missing the 2 pages showing the wiring for either cluster. Can anyone decipher the Japanese?

The parts I'm not sure about are the ones connected to the "Electronic Speedometer" part. I figure the one that says C/U is the Display Computer and the one with SW is the Display Switch but i'm not sure.

This is what i'v been looking at for the last few hours. S14 SE Zenki HUD Cluster.

I know on the "Display Computer(Gray looking box)" that the black plug on the right goes to the actual heads-up-display LCD screen, but the black plug on the left I have no idea. The other plugs I figured are just the normal ones located on any of the various clusters.

Here is a pic of the plug in question.

And another angle.

Here is the only pic I could find with the actual plugs intact.

These last 3 pics are to just show the other plugs for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and maybe one day there will be how to/write-up and more than just a handful of S14's will be able to have their HUD.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:07 PM..
wbarrett48473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
heres a rough translation
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
heres a rough translation

Thank you very much for the translation, this should help a lot.

I was also able to find another pic of the plug in question, but still unsure of where it comes from or what the individual wires are for.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

I still haven't given up on the S14 HUD especially now that I learned that some '93 and '94 Altima GLE came with an optional HUD that is similar to the gauge cluster in a S14 this means that the FSM might be of some help.

This is what I'm talking about.

Now only if I could find that one missing plug I would be one step closer.

Also I finally received the actual HUD unit for the S14.

Notice it also has a check engine portion.

This is attached to the display but I have no idea what its for - maybe someone else does?

This is the back of the display - maybe someone that works for Nissan would be able to order this part.

Here are the wires connected to the display - Does anyone see similarities between this and the S13?

Here is the connector for reference.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as I get closer to figuring this out.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Updated picture links
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
macuhwuhh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
macuhwuhh is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
niice. this is something i'd do if possible. i had no idea that s14's even came with HUD's. good luck with all the work!
macuhwuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

98_240sx_se is an unknown quantity at this point
hey any news on this. im about to buy an s14 hud but i dont have the gauge cluster. i only have the edm kouki cluster. do you know if you need the box on the back of cluster to make it work? thanks im really curious and want to know if you ever figured it out.
98_240sx_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_240sx_se View Post
hey any news on this. im about to buy an s14 hud but i dont have the gauge cluster. i only have the edm kouki cluster. do you know if you need the box on the back of cluster to make it work? thanks im really curious and want to know if you ever figured it out.
You need the box for certain. Why would you even ask that? It's part of the HUD system.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
the real question is how are you going to display the hud since the windsheild needs the bubble on it to reflect the display
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
Isn't it just a small reflective film? I always thought it was just a piece of reflective film that it would display on.
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It works okay without the film.
94_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
actually its a extra piece of glass on the s14 that is sorta concave rectangle. maybe it will still work alright without it.
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
You need the box for certain. Why would you even ask that? It's part of the HUD system.
how do you KNOW that? im pretty sure the s13 guys can make the hud work with the analog system. thats basically what i would be doing... and if you know so much about the hud then what does the box do?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigOdom1 View Post
actually its a extra piece of glass on the s14 that is sorta concave rectangle. maybe it will still work alright without it.
my s13 buddy has a hud without the little piece of glass and it works fine. that is the least of my worries
Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Quote:
hey any news on this. im about to buy an s14 hud but i dont have the gauge cluster.
If I were you I would go ahead and buy the HUD because its rare and then find the cluster later. As stated you must have the cluster because its completely different than the regular ones. There is the "Display Computer" on the back, a speedometer with different plug on the back, and there is the on/off switch in the front. You need all of these in order for it to work.

Also you can use the HUD without any window film but there is sometimes a little bit of "seeing double" on the window... using a small piece of tint will correct this.

As far as getting my S14 HUD working there is still the plug labeled M45 that I haven't found yet, but I did pick up another HUD unit.

I believe this one came off of a Kouki because of the size of the opening on the top.

Here is picture from someone on a different form that had one with his Kouki Cluster.

Here is one that came with a Zenki cluster.

Notice the differences in size?

Here is the one I picked up.

The Plug on this one is different from the other one I have as well.

Hopefully I find one of these plugs and I can start wiring everything up.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted when that happens.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

i did a little search in google for the altima hud. found this site and the guy seems to know just about everything about them. they (from what i can tell) look very similar to the s14 ones..

'94 Altima SE - Heads Up Display (HUD) Conversion - Nissan Forums: Nissan Altima Forum
Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
how do you KNOW that? im pretty sure the s13 guys can make the hud work with the analog system. thats basically what i would be doing... and if you know so much about the hud then what does the box do?
You can easily make the S13 HUD work with analog cluster, by splicing the control unit into the harness to power it and the HUD display. Just as the S14 unit would be done here. I've done two S13s before like this.

The 'box' is the control unit for the HUD, it converts the analog signal from the VSS to a digital reading and signals the display to interpret the speed to the glass.

You're assuming you can just take the display, without any sort of control unit, and splice it in. You're wrong. But please, go ahead and do it and then come back asking why it doesn't work so we can laugh at you.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
You can easily make the S13 HUD work with analog cluster, by splicing the control unit into the harness to power it and the HUD display. Just as the S14 unit would be done here.

The 'box' is the control unit for the HUD, it converts the analog signal from the VSS to a digital reading and signals the display to interpret the speed to the glass.

You're assuming you can just take the display, without any sort of control unit, and splice it in. You're wrong. But please, go ahead and do it and then come back asking why it doesn't work so we can laugh at you.
no need to be a dick man. im simply just trying to learn something. and im not a stupid noob. so then would i be able to get the control box off of an s13 or a u13 and use it? the s14 ones seem very hard to find.

i was unaware that the hud unit didnt convert the signal on its own. that is why im asking questions. and reading and searching for answers.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
projectRDM
Post Whore!

The S13 unit won't work with an S14, the VSS signal is different between chassis.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
Sergio180sx is on the path to ruinSergio180sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
WTF i didnt know s14's had HUD thats baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftOutlaw View Post
No not at the moment but an easy fix. just swap the motor I have in and take the old one out.
Sergio180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Andres_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Which projectors are those? What are ya retrofitting?
Andres_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #21
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_G View Post
Which projectors are those? What are ya retrofitting?
TL Projectors/ZKW lenses into JDM Kouki Headlights.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I had no idea these existed...Let us know if you figure this out.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #23
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Just a small update but a very important one...

I found the damn plug!!

No idea why I didn't check my Digital climate control before but one of its plugs is the exact one that I was missing.

....Soo off to the local pull-a-part and found a 91 Q45 with the Digital climate control (same plugs as s14) and yanked them.

Here is the plug for reference.

Here are both plugs attached to the display computer.
**Note this is the Zenki model (Kouki is completely different)**

Now I just need some free time to wire the HUD into this.

And the eventually fit everything into this.

Lots of work just to show the speed on the windshield I know but it gives me something fun to do

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted when I figure out this wiring.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Where are you getting these parts? Ebay? Other forums.

I have a Kouki HUD cluster without the hud computer and display. I've always wanted to hook it up.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Kaifd3s is on the path to ruinKaifd3s is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I know it looks cleaner, other than that why not just use that Defi HUD?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #26
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Where are you getting these parts? Ebay? Other forums.
Mainly from long hours of searching through YAJ and every once in awhile something will pop up on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifd3s View Post
I know it looks cleaner, other than that why not just use that Defi HUD?
The only reason I have been doing any of this is because one day I was learking around on the fourms and found the s-chassis "easter egg" hunt thread. There I found so many differenet things the I had never seen before and thought to myself... thats pretty sweet - maybe I can find some of this stuff and make my 240 a little different than most. So, after collecting most of the oem/jdm "rare" parts, this is the most challenging one to get all of the necessary parts for and it makes it kind of a game for me.

Sure I could just get the Defi HUD but I'm only looking for parts that were made by nissan for the S14

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 05-31-2022 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #27
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

props on finding the plug!!

for oem rareness how about kouki headlights with electronic adjustable projectors.. i got a pair with the switch!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
98_240sx_se
Leaky Injector

hey so i just got a jdm clip that im going to do a rhd swap. and it has an oem hud. the hud is burned out but the wiring is still there. maybe we can get yours working then i can buy a new one and get mine working!!! i am going on a trip this week and when i get back ill take detailed pics
Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
***ARES***
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
***ARES*** is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I'm so jealous! I can't wait to see how this turns out! GL to both of you working on this project!
***ARES*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #30
Fish805
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
Fish805 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
oh wow this looks like its going to be dope props on the work!!
Fish805 is offline   Reply With Quote