Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
SOHC HUD with SR20DET swap

Okay, I just but a 89 coupe with the singlecam ka, and the speedometer doesn't work nor does the HUD, only the tach and little gauges and lights work. I am ordering a complete SR20det redtop and I am wondering what to do for my gauge cluster? Should I fix my HUD and then try to get it to work with the swap, or will it work at all? I'm sure there has to be some people that have come to the same problem. Thanks
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You might as well get another cluster, SOHC tach wont work with SR20det, u can get a DOHC HUD cluster and plug in ur HUD unit in it. Or get a JDM analog cluster.

search around there is a thread about using HUD with an analog cluster. if you wanted to retain the HUD, and cant find a digital cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
lilrusty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (37)
lilrusty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
yeah man you have to use a u.s. dohc cluster or jdm. just put my digital one in off a dohc car. reminds me of when i had my single cam. always thought it looked better then anolog...
lilrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Misinformation much? Yeah.. don't listen to those guys..

An SOHC digital cluster will work on an SR20DET or a KA24DE as long as you swap in a DOHC tach. The thing is if you swap in an analog DOHC tach it won't look right as the analog clusters have a bigger tach than the digital clusters. When you install it, you will barely see the RPM markers on there. It will work, but won't look perfect.

As for your speedometer, it's broken and you can try to fix it by looking here.

Also.. SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!11eleven
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
You might as well get another cluster, SOHC tach wont work with SR20det, u can get a DOHC HUD cluster and plug in ur HUD unit in it. Or get a JDM analog cluster.

search around there is a thread about using HUD with an analog cluster. if you wanted to retain the HUD, and cant find a digital cluster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post

An SOHC digital cluster will work on an SR20DET or a KA24DE as long as you swap in a DOHC tach. The thing is if you swap in an analog DOHC tach it won't look right as the analog clusters have a bigger tach than the digital clusters. When you install it, you will barely see the RPM markers on there. It will work, but won't look perfect.

read much???

Quote:

Quote:
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
lilrusty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (37)
lilrusty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
hey man!! we just trying to help out. why would put something on your car that doesnt fit right. it will look all ghetto the way you told him to do it.
lilrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post

read much???
Reading comprehension much???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrusty View Post
hey man!! we just trying to help out. why would put something on your car that doesnt fit right. it will look all ghetto the way you told him to do it.
Are you kidding? This is Zilvia.. home to broke ass 240s
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

its easier to swap the whole cluster. why would u halfass and put in just a tach, let alone a tach that wont fit properly?? You dont even mention using a DOHC digital cluster tach....hmm i wonder why...because it EASIER to swap the whole thing.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Okay.. since you put it that way, You can also use a DOHC digital tach, but if you have that, you, as japslapsilvia says, just swap that cluster in anyways.

Although I offered the OP a solution in keeping his cluster for use even if it looks ghetto. This is, as I say again, Zilvia, a place of broke ass 240s.

Who would want to run a gauge cluster that way? I ran it that way. Looked shitty to me and I sold it. You can't deny that it doesn't work so stop being butthurt
Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
punn303
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (82)
punn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Analog SR tach on a digi cluster. Keeping it ghetto, thats how I do it.
punn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
thanks for the help, could I just buy a whole cluster that was made for this motor?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah.. the only difference between the KA24DE and SR20DET clusters is the higher redline on the SR
Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

well i just ended up getting a sr cluster, but all the plugs are different so i think i'll just have to buy the right plugs and pin every single wire :/
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

so what do you guys propose i do with the wiring on this cluster? all the plugs are different than the ones that go to the old cluster, and I tried searching for plugs that work with this one and I couldn't find anything
Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

You need the analog wiring cluster sub harness. Search, man
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
xlr8hrd

Trader Rating: (0)
xlr8hrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to xlr8hrd
why not just keep the SOHC tach??

The SOHC tach can be used with a DOHC swap such as SR20

You just have to rewire the SOHC tach to read the signal from the correct locations. The DOHC motor sends the signal using another wire, compared to the SOHC cluster.

• Remove cluster.
  • Find the TAM and its wire (yellow w. red stripe)
  • Cut TAM wire
  • Run a single wire from the TAM to the engine bay, near your coil(ignition coil) cut or strip coil positive wire.
  • Attach wires
Shroud/protect your wire from heat/moving objects
xlr8hrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8hrd View Post
why not just keep the SOHC tach??

The SOHC tach can be used with a DOHC swap such as SR20

You just have to rewire the SOHC tach to read the signal from the correct locations. The DOHC motor sends the signal using another wire, compared to the SOHC cluster.

• Remove cluster.
  • Find the TAM and its wire (yellow w. red stripe)
  • Cut TAM wire
  • Run a single wire from the TAM to the engine bay, near your coil(ignition coil) cut or strip coil positive wire.
  • Attach wires
Shroud/protect your wire from heat/moving objects
What your saying here is interesting. So your telling me I can use my analog sohc s13 cluster as long as I rerun the tam wire to any positive coil signal wire?